MN Watercraft Reg. Decal peeling off 1st use

• 3andadog

The stickers on my boat came off after the first use Is this something that happened to anyone else? is a DNR going to tap me for another set of stickers because of their poor adhesive quality’s?

Attachments:
    1. 20180602_163027.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Never seen that happen….did you clean the surface before applying?

I’d call or email and let them know the issue…document it in case you get a ticket.

Do you still have the stickers? I’d keep them in case you get pulled over before you can get a new set.

3andadog

Yes, I always make sure the surface is clean and warm.

I was on Kab this morning on the main lake in horrible wind/waves and the water must have blasted them off

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The instructions for stickers usually call for the previous ones to be removed. Based on experience, I’d say removing previous ones will give the best surface for the current stickers to adhere.

3andadog

Also note that the bottom of the sticker, the red part , is still attached. I still have the clear part somewhat attached to the other side.

The DNR went to this 2 piece system at some point but it seems of a lower quality than the old stickers were

Attachments:
    1. 20180602_163020.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just go to the license center, they will be able to pull up that you bought current stickers. Will they tap you something for a second set? I don’t know that.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

I had that happen and I covered the stickers with clear packing tape. It’s been there for over a year so far.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

June 2, 2018 at 4:35 pm

The stickers on my boat came off after the first use

June 2, 2018 at 8:22 pm

Also note that the bottom of the sticker, the red part , is still attached. I still have the clear part somewhat attached to the other side.

First you said the stickers came off the boat, then you say the red part is still attached. It might be more accurate and helpful when you talk to the DNR, to tell them exactly what is happening, “the stickers are failing by coming apart”.
    It’s not a matter of the sticker adhering to the hull, (which could be user error). It is a matter of the sticker materials failing under use. Totally different issue.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

“Duplicate decal only $0.00 $0.00 + issuing fee*”

From the MN DNR Page link

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I had that happen and I covered the stickers with clear packing tape. It’s been there for over a year so far.

approved

Ron
    Victoria, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ron wrote:</div>

approved

Made me laugh. That pic is going in my desktop folder for future use.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

My new sticker was falling off too. These things used to be nearly impossible to remove, they definitely changed the glue or something.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Not new problem. Super glue it back together works for 3 years.

3andadog

Update:
    Called the DNR and they will be sending new ones free of charge.

If you go to a licencing center they we get you a replacement set mailed out for $11.

The DNR is aware of the issue and says it happens occasionally.

So if this happens to you contact the DNR first.

Thank you for your help!!!!

shockers
    Rochester

It’s happening on my boat, too. First year I’ve ever noticed this. Dang it.

I’ll maybe try the packing tape advice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.