Mn Gun Opener 2018

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good luck and have fun you guys!!! Ill be checking this site for updates over the weekend.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

First rifle season for me! Hopefully I will have something to show for it woot

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We’ve got deer running everywhere right now. Ma and I ran errands again this morning and we never left the city limits and saw two really nice bucks along some residential land that looked as though they were going to spar a bit. Shortly after that we saw a huge buck bedded about forty feet from the road in a thick weed patch that had a slight high spot in it. He was right at the top of that rise watching the traffic go by. And I just ran the HyVee up the road from us to mail a package and saw a yearling in some brushy backyard stuff maybe thirty feet off the sidewalk. Coming home I slowed down to see if the critter was still there and bing….it and a doe were there along with the buck I got a picture of in our yard a couple weeks back.

I saw several deer in my hunting area yesterday when I took stuff for the stand down. Its looking pretty good though….if you’re hunting inside Rochester’s city limits. lol

I’ll be out. Good luck to you Carter!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Its gonna be a long sleepless night, I can already feel it now. I’m anxious to get out in the woods. Hope itll be a good opener like last season. 2 dead deer and a limit of mallards before dark. But you never know. Good luck every body

deertracker

I’ll be in NW MN hunting 8 of the 9 days. Good luck everyone. Don’t be afraid to post on the “live from the tree” thread.
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just as I thought no sleeping tonight. Like a kid waiting for Christmas. Went to bed at 12 and was wide awake at 125

catmando
    wis

Good Luck Minnesota people. Taking the bow and headed for the tree,i seen him. !

MNdrifter

Good morning! The youngest pleaded the best argument about who gets to go with dad opening morning to the judge,jury, and executioner. 8:15 this buck strolled into the apple tree 30 yards from my stand. It ain’t the biggest buck, but to my 7 y.o. It was a trophy! I don’t think he would have ever forgiven me if I would’ve let him walk. I could feel him shaking in the stand. It was awsome.

Attachments:
    1. F6B24E40-62BD-4C7E-A354-65B68D7288FB.jpeg

2. 196273B0-FEC9-4AF3-9B0A-25D18BDCD047.jpeg

3. F4818882-13DC-4C72-88E2-678A9BC38E90.jpeg

deertracker

My son got his first deer today.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 20181103_115116.jpg

2. 20181103_212058.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m one for two. Nice doe late today.

I forgot how much fun it isn’t to hunt in rain at 40 degrees. But I have quick recall.

The property I hunt is adjacent to a standing corn field, or was. At 11 this morning a pair of combines tore into the 52 acres of deer sanctuary [standing corn] and by 3 the corn was flat and the equipment gone. But then the rain began. I never saw a deer until 4:40 pm. Then they were everywhere and I managed one very nice doe. One tag left but after hearing what tomorrow holds for weather I’m watching football. I’ll hunt during the week when its half quiet.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

This has been a dream week for me. After taking my biggest WI bow buck Monday afternoon I packed up my gear and headed over to my father in laws friday evening for the MN gun season. Saw three small bucks in the am, headed in about 1 pm right before the heavy rain and to charge my phone (only clock I had with me) as it mysteriously went from 65% to 0% in about 5 minutes in my pocket. Headed back out at 3 and wasn’t seeing much. Right around 5 as I was watching in a different direction I heard that distinct sound of a twig snapping under a deers hoof behind me. Very slowly turned my head to see this guy about 30 yards away and heading right into my opening. How he let me get away with turning the gun so I could shoot lefty(I’m ambedextrious shooter, originally taught right handed but left eye dominant, gun was in my lap facing for a right handed shot) and then getting the shot off I do not know, but I am one happy camper. I had just purchased an otter sled friday evening and glad I did as getting him across the creek was WAY easier with it.

Attachments:
    1. 20181103_173441.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Huh! You are having a year aren’t you? What are you going to do to follow this year up?

Love those deep mahogany color bases.

Any weight estimation?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Huh! You are having a year aren’t you? What are you going to do to follow this year up?

Love those deep mahogany color bases.

Any weight estimation?

Yeah this has been a dream the last 7 days, was joking last night if I top my 2004 WI gun buck in two weeks I should just quit. But I’m not too far away from wyatt getting old enough so I’m sure my time in the woods for me will get short.

I forgot my scale at my parents but based on overall size and feel I would say he was close to the same as my bow buck so give or take 200 dressed out.

As luck would have it I just got done finishing out a new family room in the basement this summer that needs some wall decorations.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Beautiful animal Bud! Congrats. How was the hill pulling him up to the house, sled or other-wise? Our mountain turned to mud by about 4 pm and when the land owner came up to take our deer off with the atv and trailer things has gone to grease. Getting up the usual route was futile, but we took that down and lets just say it was a white knuckle affair on some of the steep portions of the road. Steep, like a 40 degree drop or climb, depending.

Again, contrats to you and a great big boy season. That FIL’s valley is prime time for big guys…..always has been.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I just pulled the hide on the doe and holy moly does this critter have body fat. There’s maybe 6 pounds I’ll have to trim off. Great to render then mix bird seed into it and use it for feeding the birds, so no complaints.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Damn Munk, you are kicking some tail this year! Congrats on another nice buck bud toast

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

My good friend hunting with us up in Malmo shot a very respectable 3.5 yr old 9 pt public land buck.

Attachments:
    1. 778DCE18-957C-446D-BE48-841D40F2E3D0.jpeg

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Thanks guys. and congrats to all others as well.

Tom, drag with the otter was great. We had to take him back across the creek and to keep him high and dry was awesome. Only had to drag 50 yards or so and we just picked up the whole sled into the truck. He has a good gravel road up out of the valley so no slop issues in the vehicle.

Attachments:
    1. 20181103_175629.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Buddy and I killed our 5. Quick and easy. I had a 3 shot 3 kill morning.

Attachments:
    1. 20181104_112831.jpg

2. 20181104_083741.jpg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Only saw two does all weekend for us. in a buck only zone coffee only has me more ready to be all out next archery season mrgreen

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Tom, drag with the otter was great. We had to take him back across the creek and to keep him high and dry was awesome. Only had to drag 50 yards or so and we just picked up the whole sled into the truck. He has a good gravel road up out of the valley so no slop issues in the vehicle.

You have it too easy out there Poo. lol We hung an atv and trailer last night and then had to battle greasy trails to get back to the vehicle. Rained the whole while.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.