MN Combo License Change

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I found out a long time ago my favorite it daughter didn’t fall to far from my favorite wife. Neither of them have their licenses along when we go out fishing…EVER!

I print off one copy for each of them and then print of more for each boat AND the tackle box.

Now that I have a lifetime fishing license she needs an individual license anyway.

AND I think I’m caught up on my child support and game violation fees.
    Everyone has to be inconvenienced for the few. It’s the law. doah

basseyes

No license to copulate, but maybe we can catch the delinquent b’turds skipping out on child support when they are getting a fishing license, because those types of people really want to make sure they have their ducks in a row in regards to regulations and laws, and making them have to be there in person to get it will give the ss-mndnr-kgb a better chance at catching them, huh? I bet a high percentage of people at the store buying a joint license are the dude’s vs the wife, so wtf is the point? Just seems like more laws to make the lawful have to jump through more hoops and the Turd Ferguson’s of the world will just keep working around the laws laughing all the way to the shore fishing bank, filling up a bucket of 1lb LMB in April. Doesn’t bother me, but all our 5 kids are old enough to drive now. When the kids were younger that would have been a pia. Feel for a younger couple with kids that has to mask up and go wait in line socially distancing when one kid has to pee and another one is hangry.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Feel for a younger couple with kids that has to mask up and go wait in line socially distancing when one kid has to pee and another one is hangry.

Yes that must be way out of the ordinary, probably wasn’t a issue when they wanted to run in for skittles, slim Jim’s, and a man dewski. If its a big deal then do it online.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Yes that must be way out of the ordinary, probably wasn’t a issue when they wanted to run in for skittles, slim Jim’s, and a man dewski. If its a big deal then do it online.

I think you’re missing the point…this is beauracracy at its worst. One part of government telling a different part of government that it isn’t following the rules of government properly and should be applying a rule intended for one area to a different area in which it was never intended to apply.

Vogons!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I think you’re missing the point…this is beauracracy at its worst. One part of government telling a different part of government that it isn’t following the rules of government properly and should be applying a rule intended for one area to a different area in which it was never intended to apply.

Vogons!

Completely understand that. And agree on the frustration it brings. But the argument back saying my wife won’t want to walk in to the store. Its inconvenient. Now my wife won’t fish, is the dumbest laziest excuse I’ve heard in a long time.

Brad Dimond

If this is the biggest issue/inconvenience we face, life is pretty good. First world problem.

basseyes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael C. Winther wrote:</div>

Vogons!

Completely understand that. And agree on the frustration it brings. But the argument back saying my wife won’t want to walk in to the store. Its inconvenient. Now my wife won’t fish, is the dumbest laziest excuse I’ve heard in a long time.

Hopefully having to have both in person leads to a high capture rate of dead beat spouses, which is the sole intended purpose from my understanding, while they are out obeying the law on other things, might as well give a private dnr license vendor more to do as well. The mom and pop bait shop shouldn’t mind or if they do they are lazy and cheap I suppose. I’m sure dead beat spouses aren’t aware of that at all if they go into buy a license they might get caught, but now they sure will with both partieshavingto be there to buy a license to go fishing. Maybe the dnr can take on food stamp/welfare fraud, help the irs make sure everyone is paying their taxes, check vehicle insurance and current tabs on boats/vehicles/trailers when we are trying buy a license to go fishing, seems logical to me. When you go buy a hubby/wife combo license all the info is already in the system, so wth difference does it make? If someone is doing fraudulently stuff, they’ll find a way around it while the law abiding jump through another hoop. Brilliant system and no wonder we are flushing everything down the crapper one acorn turd at a time. Then the one guy they catch the judge or system tells him not to do it again while holding his hand, pure bs imo.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think this is the most likely outcome – less sales of wife licenses. If I got stopped from getting the combo, most likely I’d still get mine and she would never get around to buying one.

Yep, its going to incidentally reduce participation and some license sales. There was nothing wrong with the old system when one of the spouses could buy both. Seems like an unnecessary change.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tindall wrote:</div>
    I think this is the most likely outcome – less sales of wife licenses. If I got stopped from getting the combo, most likely I’d still get mine and she would never get around to buying one.

Yep, its going to incidentally reduce participation and some license sales. There was nothing wrong with the old system when one of the spouses could buy both. Seems like an unnecessary change.

Unnecessary, yes but thats how the government works. If the wife or husband is to lazy to walk in to the store then there loss. Why is that so hard? If its a health concern then buy online. Or don’t fish. Really crying over absolutely nothing.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I agree this is silly, but you can buy the license online on your phone in the gas station without your wife’s ID if you want to.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tindall wrote:</div>

Unnecessary, yes but thats how the government works. If the wife or husband is to lazy to walk in to the store then there loss. Why is that so hard? If its a health concern then buy online. Or don’t fish. Really crying over absolutely nothing.

In no way do I consider this to be a laziness issue. Each year I’ve been married, I simply have brought my wife’s ID with on one of my usual runs to L&M and taken care of the licensing. Now that we have to go at the same time, we also have to bring the toddler (and soon to be newborn) inside as well. Big issue? No, but definitely an inconvenience. Will just end up buying online.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I agree. Its inconvenient. It won’t stop my wife from participating but I think it will stop some. There are ways around it. I just think the DNR is trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist and the OP does too which is partially why he started this thread (BigWerm).

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

So these dead beat parents who already have zero idea what personal integrity means are now going to be policed by the low paid people administering licenses? Who makes this stuff up? If the number of these low life’s are actually high enough to push this minor inconvenience on the majority perhaps we’ll see a drastic increase in these same dirt balls fishing and pillaging without a license. After all, if the kids you put on this earth don’t matter what’s another violation… who’ll ever know? Another minor setback for those who judicially and legally pursue angling.

What a country….

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It’s obviously not a huge issue to have your spouse walk into a store as well. The point is it’s adding another barrier of entry of a demographic the DNR claims to want to grow (women anglers), will decrease license revenue, potentially increase poaching (people not allowed to purchase, still end up fishing), and will have no positive impact on the issue it’s trying to address.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’m almost certain years back when they were trying to track down on child support delinquents everyone at one time had to give there SSN in the DNR system to get a license…….the wife included.

i personally dont feel this as such a big burden to drag the wife down to get a new license.

with that being said i agree with what Kurt said above about they’ll just fish without a license..but then thats on them when they get busted.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Why is this a big deal. When you and your wives go to holiday gas station to get fuel just grab your license. Takes 3 minutes

Holiday doesn’t sell licenses around here. Can’t remember the last time I went shopping with my wife either. When you have young kids usually one or the other goes shopping and the other stays home.

I’ll just order mine online. That way I can keep a picture of it on my phone and its always with me.

Brad Dimond

I just received and email notice from the DNR of the in person license purchase requirement. I responded as follows:

The requirement for in person purchase of combination licenses during a pandemic is absurd. Online license sales require the purchaser(s) to provide drivers license or state identification card numbers in order to complete the transaction. Fraud in purchasing requires wire fraud, a federal crime. Showing up and using someone else’s id is also a crime.

Again, this is theater of the absurd and a bureaucratic fiasco. Reverse the policy.

A faithful multiple license purchaser,

Brad Dimond

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why is this a big deal. When you and your wives go to holiday gas station to get fuel just grab your license. Takes 3 minutes

Holiday doesn’t sell licenses around here. Can’t remember the last time I went shopping with my wife either. When you have young kids usually one or the other goes shopping and the other stays home.

I’ll just order mine online. That way I can keep a picture of it on my phone and its always with me.

I get that its a small small pain. But thats how the government operates. I just paid a speeding ticket. The online payment wouldn’t process. 1 and a half hours on hold for a 3 minutes transaction. Super frustrating. But thats the government. Instead of holiday, fleet farm, walmart. And many more. I also have children and get it. But I highly doubt this will push women away from the sport. If they want to fish they will do it. Just like when they were single. Again there are children in my house as well. I also see families at the stores together all the time. My point is , its nothing to complain about. Just a very very minor inconvenience.

Brad Dimond

Already received a response from the DNR:

Thank you for contacting the Minnesota DNR.

We appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts and we greatly value your comments.

The way our system has worked in the past, we did not collect driver’s license or social security numbers for the spouse on a combination license. The information that was provided was held in the primary purchaser’s profile, but did not connect to the spouse’s actual profile. The change in the process is to bring us in compliance with both state and federal law. Both state and federal law require we collect social security numbers to assist in the enforcement of child support payments. In addition to this, we have found, customers who have revocations on their files, either for delinquent child support or game and fish violations were able to purchase the combination license under their spouses name and skirt the law. We have also found couples with only one qualified resident purchasing this license to avoid paying the higher non-resident rate for their fishing license. This change will stop this from happening.

The reason both spouses have to be present when purchasing a license in person, at a store, is because all information in our system is classified as private. If we were to allow a person to walk into a store with an old license, that may have their spouses information on it, it is possible, they could access information they no longer have. For example, if there was an order for protection, against a former spouse, and we allowed them to use the previous year’s license to access the information, they could be getting a new address, putting their ex-spouse at risk. Of course, if you are purchasing your license online, we have no way of knowing whether both spouses are actually present or not, but you have to provide current information through the online sale site, including information that is not printed on a former license. This is different than the requirements at the store level.

I get that there are statutory requirements to check for deadbeat parents, order of protection, etc. Still not convinced that it’s good public policy or that forcing people in to retail establishments to purchase a license makes sense in the time of COVID. I don’t believe the in person requirement will mitigate the problems it is intended to address. Cheaters are gonna cheat. Heck, I was drinking at age 16 on a fake ID. Glad the statute of limitations expired.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This is so they can fine more people. Not to make sense for the public. Far from a child support case. Its easy money in the pocket.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Is it really that hard to get your wife to go into the gas station ONCE a year with you guys to show her DL? Why is this so hard? I don’t understand why everyone is so upset. You have to do it to get your license.

To reiterate, it is not hard at all – I’m just saying that there may be a number of guys like me who buy the combo because we force our wives to go fishing once or twice a year, but they could really care less. With a few kids running around the number of lines in matters little.

I liked giving the DNR my money for my wife because hopefully they are doing work to keep things running smooth.

But I also agree with the reasoning (if it is true) – it is unfortunate, but apparently a reality that catching deadbeat parents is highly correlated with hunting and fishing privileges.

basseyes

Thanks Brad, that’s interesting. That makes a bit more sense.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks Brad, that’s interesting. That makes a bit more sense.

Bit still inconvenient? What does it actually matter the reason.

basseyes

If an ex-spouse, who is abusive, is able to access current address information and be an immediate threat to the well being of a spouse or children, that’s way different imo. Still inconvenient, yes, but that reasoning is more palatable. Yes, we all know dead beat parents are bad too. More people will do it online and it’d be great with how progressive Minnesota claims to be if we could be able to show proof of having a license digitally via smartphones.

B-man

People, you can still buy it online…..simmer down

If you choose to do it in person, then apparently they want both people present. Whether the cashier enforces that or not is a complete other thing.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210219-082753-1.png

2. Screenshot_20210219-0837592.png

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Something else I thought of. When I buy licenses in person at a retailer, I almost always buy other stuff with it like fishing tackle or ammo. Even when I buy it at a Holiday I buy coffee or a soda too. I’m surprised that the retail industry didn’t push back on this because just here in this thread there are people indicating that they are going to buy online instead of buying in person now.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Something else I thought of. When I buy licenses in person at a retailer, I almost always buy other stuff with it like fishing tackle or ammo. Even when I buy it at a Holiday I buy coffee or a soda too. I’m surprised that the retail industry didn’t push back on this because just here in this thread there are people indicating that they are going to buy online instead of buying in person now.

Probably not worried about it. Most these people will still stop in and spend cash on the way to the lake.

big_g
    Isle, MN

pretty soon they will want you to prove who you are when you vote…. coffee

Anonymous
    Inactive

pretty soon they will want you to prove who you are when you vote…. coffee

If a vote ever really counts, I bet you’re right. devil

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.