MN Combo License Change

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Fwiw for those of you who, like me, buy a combo license for you and your spouse, you both need to be there in person with your ID. I always buy one in case my wife wants to drop a line once or twice a year. Since my wife rarely, if ever, does want to go fishing, this will save me a few bucks, while shrinking the DNR license revenue. And most importantly imo, add another layer of red tape bureaucracy preventing people from getting outdoors. Supposedly the DNR is making efforts to grow the number of outdoorspeople, yet continually add more hoops for them to jump through.

Attachments:
    1. 89C93878-DD0C-447B-99A5-BCE9B9DFE2E3.jpeg

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

That is lame.

Is it the end of the world? No, but it sure is (was) nice not having to have the wife (and 2 yr old) come along.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Why?
    So you can’t buy online either?

CaptainMusky

Why?
    So you can’t buy online either?

That would be really strange if you couldnt. This is so dumb. My wife really appreciates it because it says her weight from when we got married. LOL

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

My wife really appreciates it because it says her weight from when we got married. LOL

X2 !

-J.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Just buy online! MN DNR online license purchasing is easy to use:
    https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/online-sales.html

And if online isn’t your thing, what kind of wife would want a DNR license but wouldn’t enjoy a trip to Cabeal’s/Fleet Farm/hardware store with her husband to buy it?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I think this is what happens when it becomes hard to impossible to define what marriage is. coffee

-J.

ShldHveBenHreYserdy
    MN

We do the same every year, but honestly, it can be a PITA come fall when trying to redeem my prepaid deer license, the people behind the counter are clueless and confused when I try to explain to them that my super sports license includes a deer license, had to call the DNR license center on two occasions.

Maybe I’ll try online like Sharon suggested, may work easier

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I did it online last year because of the COVID lockdown, and I’ll probably just do it that way again. We’d always done it in person in the past, and the FW rarely came with.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

So Steve Michaels from the DNR just called and we discussed this (so I deleted the email portion of my OP). Basically he said it was required of the state to fall into compliance with some state and federal laws that prevent license sales to people with outstanding tickets or passed due child support. THese laws have been on the books for years, but the DNR was recently notified they were not in compliance and there would be certain funding withheld if they didn’t get into compliance. You can file online (will need some additional info for your spouse) and the system is basically the same. Here’s the full original press release:
    https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/news/2021/02/17/dnr-adjusts-how-married-anglers-and-hunters-buy-combination-licenses

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Is there a cost difference (average $ per person) if you buy a “combo license” versus two separate individual licenses?

Benny

Just buy online! MN DNR online license purchasing is easy to use:
    https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/online-sales.html

x2!! I buy the combo sports license every spring online. Love it because I can print off a ton of copies. Throw one in every tackle box, boat, truck, duck hunting bag, etc. In fact, I can’t think of a license I walk into a store to buy, except maybe bonus permits for deer.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Is there a cost difference (average $ per person) if you buy a “combo license” versus two separate individual licenses?

Yes, Resident Combo Fishing license is $40, Resident individual fishing is $25. Resident Small Games is $22, the Resident Combo Sportsmen (two fishing licenses and one small game) is $57.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/fishing/index.html

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I wish there was this much verification for voting.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I wish there was this much verification for voting.

Repeating lies doesn’t make them true. whistling

roundgrove

We can not require ID’s to vote, but both husband and wife have to be present and have ID to purchase a DNR license! Maybe the DNR needs to handle voting protocol.

Brad Dimond

I wish there w

I’d suggest there is more fishing without a license in Minnesota than voter fraud.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’m not an online buyer at all. i am not giving the issuance fee to someplace in tennessee or wherever they subcontracted out to now. i’lll support a local business.

i know i’m a minority here, but…….. i prefer human interaction. yea i’m an old fart.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

x2!! I buy the combo sports license every spring online. Love it because I can print off a ton of copies. Throw one in every tackle box, boat, truck, duck hunting bag, etc. In fact, I can’t think of a license I walk into a store to buy, except maybe bonus permits for deer.
    [/quote]

I’m in charge of keeping track of my wife’s license along with mine so I like being able to put a copy in all the places it might be needed.

3Rivers

I buy a license for my wife every year (combo). I buy it online. She’s fished about 3 times in the past 15 years. They are saying you will need to get a verification code for your spouse to purchase online.

My wife will roll her eyes when I tell her she will have set up an account and check emails and this and that.

I’ll just omit her from the combo and money lost for DNR. ( They should really just drop the combo thing altogether anyways, especially with the domestic partner thing and people being deceitful about marriage status or using it to only have a bigger possession limit. One license per person. Problem solved

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    My wife really appreciates it because it says her weight from when we got married. LOL

X2 !

-J.

The CO just checked us about an hour ago and we laughed pretty hard at both our descriptions. The only thing still accurate is our eye color! rotflol

What this country needs is more government overreach. chased

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I’d like to see DNR add turkey and deer tags to online sales in these pandemic times. No reason not to. I dont think sport shops enjoy doing it or get any financial benefits.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve bought a conservation combo angling license with my wife for years without her being present for the 2 or 3 times a season she goes with. I’m either gonna have to drag her along or have her buy her own. She may honestly not even get one too. More hoops may have just created less participation.

brewerybuilder

[/quote]

+1
    rotflol

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I’ve bought a conservation combo angling license with my wife for years without her being present for the 2 or 3 times a season she goes with. I’m either gonna have to drag her along or have her buy her own. She may honestly not even get one too. More hoops may have just created less participation.

I think this is the most likely outcome – less sales of wife licenses. If I got stopped from getting the combo, most likely I’d still get mine and she would never get around to buying one.

Ryan Scholl

Is it really that hard to get your wife to go into the gas station ONCE a year with you guys to show her DL? Why is this so hard? I don’t understand why everyone is so upset. You have to do it to get your license.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Is it really that hard to get your wife to go into the gas station ONCE a year with you guys to show her DL? Why is this so hard? I don’t understand why everyone is so upset. You have to do it to get your license.

I’ve been buying them from my living room for the past 7-8 years.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Well…it’s not “that hard” but when you add hoops it does make it less likely.

For example, we live in WI and have a family lake place in Park Rapids. My wife is a teacher, so she typically spends ~6 weeks up there in the summer. I come up a few weeks after her for my vacation time, and I always stop at Ernie’s in Staples to get the combo license – and then load up on snacks, soda, and beer.
    Since I won’t be able to buy our combo license on my drive up without her present, I’ll just get it online and then probably won’t stop at Ernie’s. I can buy beer cheaper here before I leave anyway, so I guess it’s too bad for that small town MN business and the MN breweries making the beer I’d get.

But hey, I sure hope this means they’re able to collect on all those overdue tickets…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why is this a big deal. When you and your wives go to holiday gas station to get fuel just grab your license. Takes 3 minutes

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.