MN asking about boat licensing(?)

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The first question that comes to my mind is..what about the border waters?

WI: No anchor light needed if within 100 feet of shore
    MN: Anchor light needed if you are anywhere on the water.

WI: No child PFD required.
    MN: Children under 13 required:
    Federal: Children under 10 required or use State laws if stricter then the federal law.

Jet Ski’s
    WI: Ski as close to shore as you like.
    MN: Jet Skiers must stay 100 ft away from shore.
    (PS if you’ve been cited for Jet Skiing too close to shore on the WI side of the Mississippi or St Croix border waters. Fight it…you will win.)

And the list goes on and on.

The MN Boating License will teach MN safe boating laws, but I highly doubt it will touch on other State or Federal law.

It’s going to be interesting to see every ones take on this?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Why not?
    They can run us in for 10 hours classroom time, include AIS training, teach Big Foot tracking tactics and how to prepare a hot dog without fire. I’m not sure what the on the water test would consist of.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

So begs the question for those people coming from out of state with their own boats. Do they need to take the MN liscencing test to operate on MN waters? Or will their own state requirements suffice?

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

So the determination is that most boating accidents are either alcohol related or inexperience. Is that any different than driving a car? And aren’t all automobile drivers forced to take training and be licensed? And of course the answer is “yes”. BUT, has this automotive training and licensing changed the major causes for accidents on our roads? Are not the major two issues for boating the same for autos (alcohol and inexperience)?

So what makes us think any level of training and licensing will reduce boating accidents? I’m not against the training but I don’t think the solution will amount to much changing. Drinkers will still drink…on land or on water. And stupidity will always exist…regardless of the training and testing we receive.

I think. lol

I think the bigger question is would you go boating on a lake that is a major training site for the DNR? Hah! They better have a “Student Driver” sign on the back of the outboard.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Saw a segment about this on the news last night.

Classic example of a solution looking for a problem. Agree with JD, what’s causing accidents is going to continue because it’s not linked to knowledge of the rules.

#1 issue I see is people who cannot handle their own boats. They lack the skills and experience to safely drive the boat full stop. They’re banging into docks, they’re running aground, they’re slamming into other boats in locks, they’re making a complete cockup out of loading and unloading, etc, etc.

Since this proposed “boater test” does not include an on-water test of boat handling skills, it’s all a paper tiger that does nothing to address the problem.

Grouse

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

The state was excited to get all the money from the trailer stickers and now that that’s dead they need to get it from somewhere else. I’m sure they already had new office furniture picked out or whatever the funds are bookmarked for.

There is plenty of info available in different forms that provide what people need to know. How did everyone here learn? Time on the water, learning how a boat handles and reacts under different conditions. Rivers are a different deal and the first time I boated on one I took it very easy and did some research.
    A $50 piece of paper doesn’t provide someone with common sense, the willpower to stay sober and actually care about what you’re doing and the safety of not only your passengers but of the other boaters.

Sure, some accidents are caused just by the simple fact that someone is a rookie and not drunk or careless but without on the water training, (and even with it) those things will always be there.

People that care and pay attention tend to be very good boaters.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

The news story I saw was focused on Lake Minnetonka. I submit that taking video of a bunch of drunk 20-somethings roaring around in Daddy’s Bayliner is NOT representative of the rest of the waters of this state. I agree with Grouse…this is a politician doing what politicians do best, drum up a “crisis” and then “do something about it”. Besides, if licensing actually worked the roads would be safe, right?

I just want to be left alone so I can go fishing. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

SR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I can’t say I disagree with any of the above…but I’ll toss this out there.

If I had $100k to burn, I could go out and buy a nice fast 70 mph cigar boat to take all the chicks out with. No experience needed…just the cash.

I can rent a 27′ pontoon with a 225 hp on the back end for $500.00 and take out 18 people. No experience needed.

Would having a licensing program help save me from people like this?

Crap, I need a Coast Guard license to take 2 people fishing with my little 90 hp Merc on the river. The only difference between me and a 70 mph cigar boat is they go faster and they aren’t charging a fee.

Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

I just want to be left alone so I can go fishing. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Please and thank you.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Brian I can’t argue with your logic……

But I can’t help but feel that every time a law like this comes along it’s like a gun pointed at my head. The guy with the $250,000 boat could care less about paying yet another license fee. To me it’s a bigger deal. I’m sick of paying for all the problems the politicians dream up.

How about enforcement? I’ll bet there are more law enforcement officers on the roads than there are on the lakes, and the ones on the roads can barely keep up. How many people do you see driving at the posted speeds? Passing a law that won’t be enforced makes no sense to me.

How about this. The DNR already has a graduated scale of requirements based on boat length. If you go from a 14 ft. to a 16 ft. boat you have to add a fire extinguisher, a throwable, a horn, etc. How about they make this licensing thing the along the same lines? Anything over 25 feet and/or 300 hp and you need a license. And then we can leave the old guy in the 16 ft. Lund the heck alone.

SR

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I agree with you Steve but I’d take it another step…..require first time boat buyers to take the test and get the license. Today any schmo can hit the bank and get qualified for a boat, whether or not he/she has had a day’s worth of experience even handling a boat other than riding in one. This should apply to those first time jet heads too. I don’t care how big the boat is, they should have to take a several-evening class to get qualified. None of the internet class crap. And they should require the boat registration to hinge on that license in the event the first time buyer buys second hand.

This state should just have a zero alcohol rule in place for all watercraft. Wanna drink, do it when you’re off the water for the day.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What if we required all boats to have sensors put all around the boat that would beep or auto correct for your lack of paying attention…. coffee

Last thursday. Mom is backing up. I say STOP STOP as there was a car approaching. Mom says “why did’nt my car beep at me”…I said “Because you WEREN’T LOOKING’.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The first question that comes to my mind is..what about the border waters?

WI: No anchor light needed if within 100 feet of shore
    MN: Anchor light needed if you are anywhere on the water.

WI: No child PFD required.
    MN: Children under 13 required:
    Federal: Children under 10 required or use State laws if stricter then the federal law.

Jet Ski’s
    (PS if you’ve been cited for Jet Skiing too close to shore on the WI side of the Mississippi or St Croix border waters. Fight it…you will win.)

And the list goes on and on.

The MN Boating License will teach MN safe boating laws, but I highly doubt it will touch on other State or Federal law.

It’s going to be interesting to see every ones take on this?

Now I feel like a fool since it was a real question. frown I was sure it was another one of those Monday morning jokes that seem to show up here from time to time. Now after reading everyone’s response and knowing that it’s a legit question my response is…………ah hell I don’t care. It’s just another politician throwing mud at the wall trying to get some face time on TV. We need to elect every one of these clowns to a 2 year term. They can only be elected once in their life time. Make them get a real job. smirk

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

…accidents are either alcohol related or inexperience.

Now that I think about it, can’t we say the same thing about accidental pregnancies? Do we have a case for state mandated “swimsuit area” training and licensing? (“Excuse me sir, is that a licensed banana or are you just happy to see me?”)

I wonder what other “accidents” are caused by alcohol and inexperience? (and let the fun begin)

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We need to elect every one of these clowns to a 2 year term. They can only be elected once in their life time. Make them get a real job.

If you’d run on that platform I’d move just to vote for ya.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Jet Ski’s

PWC need to operate at slow no wake speed witnin 100 feet of pier, dock, raft, vessel or a restricted area on lakes in WI.
    200 feet of shore is no wake speed.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I wonder what other “accidents” are caused by alcohol and inexperience?

Catching a catfish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

MX, I’m guessing you’re looking at In-Land Water Rules. (?)

Below is what the water patrol is using on the border waters of MN/WI/IA

PWC prohibited distance laws
    – WI prohibits operation of PCW within 100 feet of another boat or PWC unless traveling slow-no-wake speed. It is illegal to operate a PWC within 100 feet of another boat towing a skier, tow rope or the person involved in skiing or a similar activity.
    – IA prohibits wake jumping within 100 feet of the other boat. Speed and distance laws apply.
    – MN prohibits wake jumping within 150 feet of another boat. At a greater than slow-no wake speed within 150 feet of a shoreline (except when dropping off and picking up a skier, tuber, or knee boarder), dock, swimmer, raft used for swimming, moored, anchored, or nonmotorized watercraft

PWC prohibited time of operation
    – WI prohibits operation from sunset to sunrise
    – IA prohibits operation from sunset to sunrise
    – MN prohibits operation from one hour before sunset to 9:30am

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JD Winston wrote:</div>
    I wonder what other “accidents” are caused by alcohol and inexperience?

Catching a catfish.

There are special places for people like you. )

desperado

state mandated “swimsuit area” training and licensing?

Just issue a sticker to prevent SSAIS …SwimSuit Area Ivasive Species

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.