Mixed bag – First ice outing 2014

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Managed to get in my first ice fishing outing of the year. Fished a smaller lake in central Minnesota. We hoped to get a few Northern to make up a fresh batch of pickled fish. The lake we fished was known to have some decent Perch so while we watch the tip ups I fished around the areas for some Perch. Only managed 2 but they were decent size. Take a close look at that 4th fish from the leftt. I pulled a nice mark up off the bottom. When I set the hook my first thought was wow nice Perch. Then I changed my mind and said must be a Northern. After a quick look as it pasted the hole I said nope – must be a bass. Needless to say I was rather shocked to see Mr. Rubber lips come up the hole. That is a first for me thru the Ice. It was hooked in the lip so it ate the jig. We decided to add it to the batch of pickled fish. Not sure how it will turn out but will find out in a few weeks. Not a bad first outing. We caught 5 northern and lost another 2 in a few hr’s of fishing. Will be back up in the Area next weekend so will most likely get back out again. Would be nice to Get into the Perch on this lake.

Attachments:
    1. Mixed-Bag-2014.jpg

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I think the sucker will be a good addition to your pickled fish. Very underrated eating fish waytogo

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Cold water suckers make great table fare! Most people don’t keep them because they have never tried it. Nice white meat but of course it depends on the lake.

Very cool catch!

bcarlson
    Fargo ND.

Nice work! Looks like good eating there.

Bryan Myers

I’ve had a few run ins with some hard water suckers and they sure are fun on a jig rod, and it should be great pickled.

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

Caught my first sucker through the ice a couple years back and everyone thought I was crazy to keep it. filleted it up and baked it with some lemon peper just to see what it tasted like and I was very shocked at how good it was.

tigermusky
    St. Louis Park

Strap a quick-strike rig on that boy and wait for the BIG toothy!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.