Minor vehicle finish damage

• dirtywater

I came back from a weekend away to find a couple new blemishes on my truck. I suppose they could have happened earlier without me noticing but pretty sure they are new. To me it looks a side view mirror may have swipes it. It doesn’t look like paint has come off my truck, looks more like a black smudge has been left on the surface. The one further rear feels like it had a very small dent under.

I know there are a bunch of car guys around here. Any advice for how to handle this that doesn’t involve going to a body shop?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7911-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_7910-scaled.jpeg

Deuces

Goof off might handle those, have to repolish the spot after. Certainly a compound buff would take em out but don’t think you’ll have to go that far.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just bring it in to get polished and detailed. That stuff will come right off. Guessing a mirror as well.
    Your thumb would probably rub those off with friction.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I’ve had success using a magic eraser on spots like that. You need to wax or polish spot right after.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Hit it with some polish and a soft cloth. Looks like it will come right off.

dirtywater

Thanks guys, gives me a few things to try. I did try scrubbing with a cloth and some water and using my finger nail but didn’t make any progress so figured I’d ask. Appreciate it.

jwellsy

Looks like a bicycle hand grip to me.

MX1825

Find some Schaeffers Citrol Bug and Tar removal. It’s a citrus product and works great!

Stanley

Lacquer thinner will take the black transfer stuff off from whatever hit your truck then either some buffing compound or some light wet sanding(2000-3000grit) then buffing should make it less noticeable if your paint is scratched.

JEREMY
    BP

Looks like a bicycle hand grip to me.

Thats exactly what that is. Keep seeing them on our vehicles even though the kids get no where near them. 3m adhesive remover.

LabDaddy1

Just when I thought bicyclists couldn’t get any more annoying… whistling mrgreen devil

CaptainMusky

Magic eraser works great but it kind of messed up my boat a bit when I used it but that could certainly be user error.

big_g
    Isle, MN

lacquer thinner, then quick soap and water, hand polish with some Meguiars cool

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Magic eraser works great but it kind of messed up my boat a bit when I used it but that could certainly be user error.

Magic Erasers are basically fine sandpaper, maybe similar to a 2500grit sandpaper. So, you’re micro marring the paint. Just get a polish and you should be able to clean up most swirls.

dirtywater

It’s definitely not from a bicycle grip. I have a size large 29er mtb here and the grips stand a good 6” below the damage.

Perfect height for a truck/suv side mirror.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.