MinnKota Trolling Motor Hot Wires

• Tyler Rorsch

Hey all hoping to get some advice on how to handle an issue i’ve been having with my MinnKota trolling motor this season.

I first noticed the positive lead on my battery terminal getting hot enough to melt some of the plastic on the positive trolling motor wire. I replaced the circuit breaker and the circuit breaker bracket that had melted. I also replaced the battery.

Performance was much better but after a couple of hours of use the trolling motor would shut off on its own. I noticed again that positive terminal on the battery was very hot and also the plug that connects the trolling motor to the battery was extremely hot as well.

Seems to be some resistance somewhere. Has anyone else dealt with something like this? Would it be best to replace the plug with new wires/connections?

Something like this maybe?

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/trolling-motor/plug-receptacle-mkr-26

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Tyler, check out this thread.

Plug

Karry Kyllo

I agree with Brian that it’s likely either corrosion or a bad connection in the plug but it could be on your battery end as well.
    Check your connections and it should be fairly easy to find.

Tyler Rorsch

Thanks for the answers guys, I decided to buy the Minn Kota plug and will give it a shot!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.