Minnkota plug in wire “hot”

• SM

New to me 2016 Powerdrive V2 24v 70#. When the unit is plugged in and operation, the plug and wires get very hot. It looks like wire has been spliced for some reason to lengthen the wire. What gauge wire should be used and can I just buy a replacement plug and go back to original wiring? All suggestions are welcome as electronics and wiring are not my skill
    Thanks.

SM

Thanks.

DonG

Make sure that any splices you make are soldered.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Just curious, how old are your batteries? I had somewhat similar scenario but it was my unit head that got severely hot. My instance was caused by poor batteries…but you spliced wires seems very logical.

SM

Boat is a 2016, batteries new then. I purchased boat in May 2018. Previous owner says he had no such problems, but did state that in 2017 winter he stored the boat inside, but did not have the 3 bank charger connected to any power.

The wire plug into the power socket is spliced with 7 gw onto the main power cord coming out of the head unit. Don’t know why previous owner felt need to extend this cord.

SM

Bump

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

There isn’t a simple answer here. The heat is from resistance to current flow. What’s causing it? The splices are the first place I’d start, every splice or connector adds resistance.

Also playing into the problem could be undersized wire. It takes much larger wire size to move DC current over a distance. Big copper wire is expensive, so many people and even the manufacturers cheap out and use undersized wire which induces resistance and causes heat. Add a few splices and you have even more problems.

Personally, I’d calculate the proper wire size for the load and the length of the run. Then I’d want to rewire to get all the splices possible out of the wire.

Grouse

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

SM,
    Not sue what else you are looking for? If you see no need for the wire extensions, cut them off, and re-attached the plug. A 70# 24V only draws 42 amps at full power, so #8 wire is large enough, I’m not where where I would even find #7 gauge like you referenced.

Maybe take and post a few pictures so we can see the set up, or take it to a rigger if you aren’t comfortable working with the wiring.

HRG

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.