Minn Kota trolling motor.

• Jerry Bryant

I have a two year old 100 lbs. thrust. Came with the boat. I can use it for an hour or so and then it just quits. I can move the foot controller around, and rapidly push on the foot power peddle and it will start working sometimes, or move thrust control position and it will start working sometimes. Has anyone experienced this problem? I don’t think the warranty is still valid, so I will most likely have to make the repairs. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Justin riegel

Are you getting any vibration? Sounds like the armature is going out.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Probably a control board.
    Easy to diagnose.
    Pull off head, exposing the wires.
    Find the wires heading down the trolling motor shaft. Should be two, and they’ll be big gauge.
    Unhook them from the power board.
    Take some jumper cables and hook 12V (probably 24V, whatever you have) directly to those wires. Your trolling motor should be running FULL BLAST. If it runs full speed bypassing the control board/power board, then you know the power board is bad. You also know you have a good armature.

Takes less than 10 minutes if you are so inclined to do so.
    I’d bet you can find some youtube videos to describe what i did above.

Mine did this once upon a time. After replacing the electric motor and still having the same issues, i did the above troubleshooting. Bam, problem fixed.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Mine is a Powerdrive V2 and this was the board that needed replacing:

1x Minn Kota 24 Volt Power Drive V2/AP & RT/SP/AP Control Board 2884058 for $130.50 each

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Are you sure your batteries are good?

Mike m

The first thing I would do is verify with a volt meter what you have on the leads from the battery . 100# thrust probably 24v , possibly 36 if you have 3 batteries. If you have the proper voltage there , then move on to the other components

Tom schmitt

I had a power drive that did that. It was the control board at the front of the main frame work. If I by passed it I could run it at 100% power but no adjustment.

gary cnudde

Anyone have an issue with no steering at high speeds? works fine under 5.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.