Milton

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

BK who?

From Pug this morning around 7 am.

Hurricane Milton made landfall 20 miles to the south of us in Siesta Key. We were on the “dirty side”, the side with the worst weather. Preliminary reports from the neighborhood are lots of vinyl fences destroyed, which I expect ours to be. I am concerned that we have a medium sized oak tree out front.
    I am thankful that I was able to obtain plywood and board up just days before landfall. I am grateful the storm strength came down some before landfall. I am thankful we got everything in the garage, including the SUV which was no small feat.
    I am not sure what lies ahead, but I am grateful for my wife, mother in law and pups for getting me through this.
    Lastly, I am thankful that there was not a historic storm surge, which would have really complicated the days ahead.

Highbeeze24

The Ray’s fans should be cheering Milton with that free stadium upgrade, no tax required.

ThunderLund78

The Ray’s fans should be cheering Milton with that free stadium upgrade, no tax required.

I wouldn’t go that far – when the Dome roof collapsed, all insurance paid for was a new roof and turf. The stadium was still used for at least a season or two after the repairs were done. We still had to pass the bill to get the new stadium, but it did help the issue along.

Highbeeze24

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Highbeeze24 wrote:</div>

I wouldn’t go that far – when the Dome roof collapsed, all insurance paid for was a new roof and turf. The stadium was still used for at least a season or two after the repairs were done. We still had to pass the bill to get the new stadium, but it did help the issue along.

If they were to rebuild, yes it would fall on the county residents. I’m just saying that that stadium as it was, was so bad that having the roof ripped of is an immediate improvement

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Many years ago my Great Grandmother immigrated here from Switzerland. After looking around for a while, she declared “We live on the best place”. I think she was right.

Glad to hear Pug is OK.

SR

James Almquist

Steve I have to agree. After watching The Weather Channel for a bit last night the wife and I said we would much rather go thru a blizzard then a hurricane.

Reef W

Steve I have to agree. After watching The Weather Channel for a bit last night the wife and I said we would much rather go thru a blizzard then a hurricane.

My company is all remote and has people in 46 states. The ones from Florida (and Texas) are always funny when weather comes up. Some of them are terrified of winter and think we’re regularly getting trapped in our houses by snow and struggling not to freeze to death. This usually comes up when they’re telling us about their latest power outages and damage lol

slough

Tampa already had a new stadium in the works that was supposed to begin construction this winter. From a press release this summer: Last September, the Rays reached an agreement with the city of St. Petersburg and Pinellas County to build a new $1.3 billion ballpark on the Tropicana Field site as part of the long-term redevelopment of the Historic Gas Plant District.

ThunderLund78

Interesting! – I guess there’s plenty of spring training facilities that are nicer than 90% of the minor league parks around there that they could play in for a year while the new one is built.

Pitter patter

If we dont do something about climate change hurricanes will just keep getting more frequent and severe

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

My Mother and also my sister with her kids both live between Melbourne and Orlando. Two separate houses about 3 miles apart. Really happy to hear from both of them this morning that everything was okay. No damage and never lost power. My Mom’s brother and his wife have a house on the coastline by Tampa. It got pretty trashed in Helene. They were down on Monday to grab valuables out and leave. Sounds like there might not be much left to it now.

Agree what others have said about dealing with winter instead of hurricanes and earthquakes. It’s a no-brainer for me.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

good and bad news Pop.. 2nd Minn living too..

B-man

If we dont do something about climate change hurricanes will just keep getting more frequent and severe

And what would your recommendation be??

The Earth is warming.

The Earth “wobbles”.

The Earth has been warming for thousands of years.

Are we partly to blame, absolutely…but keep in mind where you are sitting at this exact moment was covered by a glacier not all that long ago (if you’re in Minnesota anyway).

Glaciers began receding rapidly long before humans introduced fossil fuel burning engines or energy producing powerplants.

Oceans have been warming and glaciers have been melting for the last 14,000 years. Storm severity has been increasing as well. Just how are we expecting to reverse that??

I’m not a climatologist, but I’m thinking hurricanes weren’t commonplace 14,000 years ago. Yet there’s been quite a few since, the vast majority before the industrial revolution.

We’re just one asteroid hit or collosal volcanic eruption away from giving her an ice-age restart. Nature’s sunscreen…

That ends tonight’s “deep thinking with B-man” mrgreen

CaptainMusky

Back in the late 1800’s the strongest hurricanes to hit Florida were in June. There are almost never hurricanes in June anymore did climate change do that too? If climate change affected it by getting warmer I would think we would be having them earlier not later than it used to be.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What exactly can “we” do to change the force of mother nature?

Jimmy Jones

We can do all we want but until China and a few other mega-polluting countries are drawn into serious change, climate change won’t happen. And anything that humans do today or tomorrow will not change the climate in any great way for a century or more.

munchy
    NULL

jester rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If climate change affected it by getting warmer I would think we would be having them earlier not later than it used to be.

Stronger storms (and hurricanes) occur when the air and ocean surface waters are warmer. Not when they’re colder. That’s why peak hurricane season is in the late summer/early fall.

Not saying its impossible to have a Cat 4 hurricane in June, but generally speaking the gulf and atlantic ocean surface water isn’t warm enough for it yet.

CaptainMusky

Stronger storms (and hurricanes) occur when the air and ocean surface waters are warmer. Not when they’re colder. That’s why peak hurricane season is in the late summer/early fall.

Not saying its impossible to have a Cat 4 hurricane in June, but generally speaking the gulf and atlantic ocean surface water isn’t warm enough for it yet.

That is my entire point Gim. SOme of the strongest hurricanes to ever hit Florida were in the 1890s and in June. If warmer water makes them stronger why would they have been so strong in June? Especially now they say the water is warming so much we should be seeing them earlier much earlier, but we arent. If anything the season is going later from what I have seen.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

True. My understanding is that both Helene and Milton formed in the Bay of Cempeche just west of the Yucatan Penninsula and gained their power solely from crossing the Gulf of Mexico.

Usually, the stronger hurricanes form further east in the Atlantic Ocean or the Carribean Sea and have more time to develop. The power that these hurricanes can gain solely from forming in the Gulf is alarming. They seem to just pop up and then head inland in just a few days.

CaptainMusky

I really cannot believe they dont mandate building these homes on stilts especially along the coast or near it. Galvaston they are pretty much all like that and they come out pretty decent from what I can see even with a direct hit. Harvey pummeled that area for days, but it was the amount of rain that caused most of the issues not storm surge.

Highbeeze24

During the last glacial maxima, the ppm of CO2 dropped to 180. Photosynthesis shuts down between 150-180 ppm CO2, meaning no vegetation. We currently sit around 420 ppm. We run green houses at 800-1200 ppm.

Point being, global warming and higher CO2 levels are beneficial for this planet. We’ve seen 15% of the globes surface begin to green over the last 25 years which is roughly the size of the US. During the years of the building of the great cathedrals in Europe, average temperatures were 3 to 4 degrees fahrenheit warmer than we see today. Behind that came the little ice age which brought on the black plague and famine as crops failed and disease spread resulting in the death of 1/3-1/2 of the population of Europe.

Do we have an impact on climate? There is no doubt. Agriculture, mining, transportation all have an effect. How “destructive” it is, that’s where the real debate is.

Global warming isn’t this terrible demon it’s been made to be, global cooling is. When the earth cools, we won’t be able to feed ourselves, let alone our livestock. You can fill all the highways of the world with electric vehicles. It wont save us. Our best hope is to embrace our technology. How do we stop solar flares or meteor or comet impacts? Volcanos can send us back to the stone age as well if the eruption is catastrophic enough, but look to the skies if you want to see where our doom will most likely come from. The ancients obsessed over the stars, but now due to light pollution, our heads stay down to the floor. Trust the real science and real numbers, not the ones with things to profit, or those dependent upon “donations” to continue their “research”.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

That is my entire point Gim. SOme of the strongest hurricanes to ever hit Florida were in the 1890s and in June. If warmer water makes them stronger why would they have been so strong in June? Especially now they say the water is warming so much we should be seeing them earlier much earlier, but we arent. If anything the season is going later from what I have seen.

Where are you getting your data regarding Hurricanes? There has been only 1 Major(Cat3 or higher) hurricane to hit FL in June, and that was in the 1960s. The vast majority of major storms to hit FL were in Sept and Oct.

But, I will add, the worst Hurricane to hit FL was in May. I believe it is still one of the strongest storms ever recorded in the western hemisphere. 26.34 inHG and 180mph winds.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I really cannot believe they dont mandate building these homes on stilts especially along the coast or near it. Galvaston they are pretty much all like that and they come out pretty decent from what I can see even with a direct hit. Harvey pummeled that area for days, but it was the amount of rain that caused most of the issues not storm surge.

Water table is extremely high in FL. The ground cannot support the homes on stilts, needs to be spread out. Keep in mine, FL also has a boatload of sink holes.

FL is a huge swamp and can handle heavy amounts of rain better than a place like Texas, much harder ground.

CaptainMusky

Where are you getting your data regarding Hurricanes? There has been only 1 Major(Cat3 or higher) hurricane to hit FL in June, and that was in the 1960s. The vast majority of major storms to hit FL were in Sept and Oct.

Maybe worst is a stretch, I should have just said that the hurricane season started much earlier than it has been most recently. One such hurricane in like 1894 is what created the Florida Keys.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I try to look at the facts of Climate Change and then sort things out from there.

I believe the following are facts.

1. The Earth is warmer today than it was prior to the Industrial Revolution
    2. The Earth has likely been both colder and warmer than it is today during different periods in the last 4.5 billion years.
    3. Storms and weather events/drastic changes are becoming increasingly powerful and common in the last ~120 years.

…after that, the rest is nothing but calculated guesses. I think humans are likely impacting climate, but to what degree is hard to measure. I also think that the average person(myself included) or politician speaking in absolutes on either side is in no way helping issues or resolving anything. There’s a lot more to what has went on in the last 4.5 billion that we DO NOT know much about than we do know about. Blindly taking political sides or using catasrophes for political gain is cowardly. Throwing out crazy conspiracy theories to pile on to natural disasters taking lives is also cowardly.

CaptainMusky

3. Storms and weather events/drastic changes are becoming increasingly powerful and common in the last ~120 years.

Here is the problem, from a records standpoint that is about how long they have been tracked. How do you use that data and form any opinion on climate. Its weather, not climate.
    Remember they have changed things in regards to weather, how they measure it and what are averages for snowfall, etc.
    They actually changed the amount of avg snow per season because of a 20 year stretch where we were getting above average snowfall. How does that make sense?
    Also, they changed the way windchill is calculated. It used to be that it wasnt uncommon to have windchills in the -70s or whatever when I was growing up. Now they added some adjustment for what the skin or whatever actually feels and its much lower. -50s is about the worst we have now. I do believe this actually makes some kind of sense.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Mpls city council

The new fee, championed by Council Member Robin Wonsley, would have charged the 36 biggest emitters in the city $452 per ton of carbon dioxide. In a news conference Wednesday morning, Wonsley said the fee would be “one of the most meaningful steps we can take to combat climate change.”

So charging for carbon emissions doesn’t affect climate change?

Got it.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.