Mille Lacs Smallmouth and the DNR

• TripleA
    Blaine

Someone please enlighten me. The DNR allegedly mis-managed the Walleye harvest on Mille Lacs and then determined that the pike and bass are to blame all while admitting they don’t have any real evidence (per top official DNR interviews on-line) but they increased the catch limits just incase? I know this is old news but it just seems sad to even take a CHANCE at ruining a high end bass fishery in the name of a potentially mis-managed walleye fishery.

The last survey I saw a few months ago said the large walleye (out of slot per DNR) and small pike were the biggest culprits when it came to walleye fry as a main course meal! The bass had literally ZERO Fry in their bellies during the test period. Can someone please explain this?

blackbay
    mn

Any one know if they are looking at stomach contents in the fall? It’s easy to do and won’t kill the fish. Seems to me they said that the young of the year were disappearing between the fall and the spring. As far as I know they determine that by electrofishing FOR walleye. I think they should look at fish diet at each time of the year.

TripleA
    Blaine

I know they were checking their bellies on that survey I saw and mentioned above. I do not remember the time of year they did it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.