Mille lacs

• Alex James Hartman

Where are people finding bigger walleye on mille lacs. Been finding areas with a lot of numbers with not a whole lot of size. Which areas are producing bigger fish.

TripleA
    Blaine

Everyone seems to find numbers with a few larger fish around. The reports I have heard the last two weekends up there were spotty, no real pattern. The biggest I found was a 24″ on the NE side of the lake, I also heard of a 26″ and 28″ being caught back to back out of the red door in with the wheel houses.

Ryan Pahl

Any reports from the west side of the lake? I am looking to “kill 2 birds with 1 stone” while up in the area for other things this weekend. Haven’t fish that lake in almost 10 years, so any input would be good.

Brian Anderson
    Eden Prairie, MN

I went out of St. Albans Bay couple weeks ago, got out as far as I could (no bridge over the crack yet) got out to about 25-27 fow and just drilled a bunch of holes. Caught some perch to bring home, a nice pike, tons of 13-15in walleyes and the GF caught her PB which was a 27in gorgeous walleye.

-b-

Tommy

Are vehicles still driving around out there after the warm weather?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Red Door resort did put a video on facebook yesterday regarding ice conditions as well as a big fish caught. Think Bob said 31″ walleye. Check out Red Door facebook page, if you have it
    I am heading up to stay in a Red Door house tomorrow night with the family. Will let you know how I do.

Side note….Terry’s Facebook page said they do not have a bridge over a main crack and reports some area’s of thin ice. Please check with resorts before venturing out!

Tommy

Perfect. Just checked out the video, thanks for the tip. I’m trying to run up for the day tomorrow from the metro. Get up early and leave late. Just gotta get a partner signed on to the plan.

deertracker

What house will you be in Cal? I’m in house #7.
    DT

Alex James Hartman

I to will most likely be going out of red door. Went out of that resort last weekend and found 30ft of water with a lot of numbers. No real big fish were iced. Any report will be greatly appreciated cal. Thank you!

munchy
    NULL

Anybody up there know how the snow cover is? Thinking of going up tomorrow with the 4wheeler and prefer to explore away from the crowds.

Red Door Facebook video just mentions drifts, which don’t bother me much. But if there is too much snow I may rethink the decision.

deertracker

There is a crust just below the snow but it is only a few inches thick. There are some drifts but they are patchy and you could go around them. Even the drifts aren’t that bad. The ones I drive through were maybe 5 to 6 inches at the most.
    DT

deertracker

Everywhere else only seemed to have a few inches of snow.
    DT

munchy
    NULL

Thank you Deertracker!!

BrianF

I haven’t ice fished the lake myself, but my sense in reading various ice fishing reports is that the walleye numbers being caught are pretty good generally speaking? Would be nice to hear of a walleye recovery in the making instead of all the finger pointing thats been going on. What’s the conventional wisdom out there among those who have their fingers on the pulse of the lake? Is there a walleye recovery brewing?

TripleA
    Blaine

Tons of small eyes being caught everywhere it seems. As for snow cover, minimal. Last weekend my buddy had no issues going anywhere in his ranger, other than a few slush pockets due to the warm weather.

Alex James Hartman

How did you do on saturday? I was not fishing far from the rental you were fishing out of. I found 30ft with lots of numbers of smaller walleye averaging 14-17 inches and tulibee.

nubbinbuck

I was on Wigwam bay on Saturday, there was a couple of inches of crusty snow. No real issues, 16-18″ of ice.

Anybody up there know how the snow cover is? Thinking of going up tomorrow with the 4wheeler and prefer to explore away from the crowds.

Red Door Facebook video just mentions drifts, which don’t bother me much. But if there is too much snow I may rethink the decision.

munchy
    NULL

I was on Wigwam bay on Saturday, there was a couple of inches of crusty snow. No real issues, 16-18″ of ice.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

Yeah, I was out on the North end all day Saturday. Once you get away from shore the snow cover is minimal. Mostly just small speed bump size drifts everywhere. Made for a bumpy ride with the wheeler.

I didn’t measure it but I had ice all the way past the top of the flighting on the auger everywhere I drilled. So I estimate thickness around or over 2 feet.

As for fish, I got a big goose-egg. Bunches of lookers, and a few rather large marks. I just couldn’t get them to eat. Maybe next time.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nubbinbuck wrote:</div>

Yeah, I was out on the North end all day Saturday. Once you get away from shore the snow cover is minimal. Mostly just small speed bump size drifts everywhere. Made for a bumpy ride with the wheeler.

I didn’t measure it but I had ice all the way past the top of the flighting on the auger everywhere I drilled. So I estimate thickness around or over 2 feet.

As for fish, I got a big goose-egg. Bunches of lookers, and a few rather large marks. I just couldn’t get them to eat. Maybe next time.
    [/quote

you said you had “a few rather large marks”. Are you using a flasher or a screen type sonar?

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nubbinbuck wrote:</div>

[/quote

you said you had “a few rather large marks”. Are you using a flasher or a screen type sonar?

LX7

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.