Mid to late 90s sylvan boats

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Looking for a bigger full windshield boat to do some tubing and fishing with. I have seen a couple of proxselect sylvan boats for sale one is a 1996 or 1997 and the other is a 1995. Both are in the price range that I prefer to keep from a loan and make sure that a boat of this style gets utilized before I got to a skeeter of warrior. Just want to make sure sylvans are a sound boat. I understand I am looking at 25 year old boats here, but are there hidden issues a guy should be on the lookout for. It seems like sylvans were pretty popular years ago but rarely see them anymore. Is it because they are all worn out or I am just not fishing in the areas that have or had dealers? Both of the boats look like they were maintained very well. They both look very clean and both owners showed pride in ownership when talking about the boats. Both owners are selling due to lack of use. Thanks in advance!!

MnPat1

They are on the bottom end for build quality. The wood used in the floors and transoms are untreated and most likely would need replacing soon.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Sylvan has been floating me for years.

I trashed this boat in 2003 on winni running 3-4 waves like I was in a 25′ boat. Tore a lot of rivets loose. Was dad’s boat back then.

Been a leaker ever since. Lol

Transom has been replaced.
    Floor replaced by me.

Original motor.

I see lots of sylvan on the water.

35yr old boat… has old boat issues but this one don’t owe me anything.

Get the pro fisherman model and you might get lucky enough to run into someone who thinks your a pro fisherman 😃😃

Know how to inspect boats for problems before buying.

I pull tubes & kneeboard… and the occasional mad man on trick skis on the river in February. Only a 70 hp so limited towing power.

Attachments:
    1. 25848.jpeg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Condition is everything in used boats. A Sylvan that is 25 years old, but was well treated and garage kept may be worth far more than a “better” brand that was kept outside and where water was allowed to get in, etc.

Also, only you can decide, is a 25-year-old good boat better than no boat? Some guys would rather get on the water with whatever they can buy NOW, some guys would rather sit on the couch or have 10+ year-long, $50K boat loan than ever be seen in a used boat from a non-top-tier maker. Are you guy A or guy B?

The two areas of concern on a boat of that vintage are the floor and the transom. The transom is a special concern because guys insist on drilling holes in it to mount electronics, which is about the dumbest idea ever, but it’s not uncommon to see a transom with unsealed holes in it from past electronics that were simply take off and the holes were left open. Transoms can be tricky to evaluate because the rot can be way down in the bottom along the keep and then slowly working its way up.

You have to very carefully inspect the transom and the floor and know what you are looking for. Find that boat that sat inside, was well maintained and was rarely used, and you’ve got a good deal to get you on the water. Continue to keep her dry and maintained and that boat will last for many years to come.

The big thing is do not overpay because you have to factor in repairs that will happen on a 25-year-old machine.

Grouse

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Well… I bought a 1997 19 pro select. I think it is a good boat and I got it at a fair price I feel. This will give me a chance to run a big full windsheild tin boat and see for myself what boat suites my needs best. I do know of all the boats I have ever owned, the only one I have ever reget selling is the Tyee I had. Hopefully I can get a few good years of service out of it. Bought it at a price I can afford to deck it out with electronics. Even though it came with some pretty good stuff on it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.