Milwaukee browns

• z-man
    Dousman, WI

With local walleye waters frozen yesterday, decided to hit the Big Pond to get in on some of the brown trout action we enjoy here this time of the year. With temps forecast for near 40, and light westerly winds, took my son and his buddy along,thinking they’d be comfy and cozy even if the fish did not cooperate. A buddy of mine joined us too, and was quickly nick-named Netboy, as one of the youngsters took us to school right at the get-go. The warm-water discharge wall made famous by Eric, was surprisingly only occupied by one other boat when we got there at 11 am, so we slid right in. Temps at the discharge were at 54 degrees, with 38 to 48 degree water in other areas of the harbor. I rigged the boys up first, and before I got done, one of them had a 5 lb. brown on, caught on Gulp. He got two others while Iwas trying to get the other rods rigged for shiners and spawn, hanging over the boat in the 27 FOW we were parked in. If it wasn’t for Netboy, I would have had a very busy afternoon.
    It was not fast and furious the whole afternoon, but we did manage to boat 9 browns, between 3 and 10 lbs, and lost several others in this size range plus two larger fish before they met the net.
    I have to admit that I have not been totally sold on the effectiveness of Gulp, but on this afternoon, all fish came on Gulp, with no exceptions. Unfortunately, I only had one bag with 3 left in it, and after the first few came in, I rigged a second rod with the gulp, and handed it to my son. so the boys proceeded to get bit, while my buddy and I threw about every other plastic we had, with no fish, except snagging the large shad that were in there thick. When one of the boys took a candy break or rest, we’d pick up the gulp rod, and catch a fish or two, before they demanded it back. No hits on spawn or shiners or blade baits or cranks… So now I’m convinced that for some reason or other, the Gulp made all the difference on this afternoon. The third piece of gulp was saved for the highest bidder, but I eventually used it to re-rig one of the boy’s rods when the old one was pretty well demolished. Another interesting lesson for me to learn…very particular fish that wnt after only one specific bait. So the Yarcraft was put away today, and the 12 foot winter boat made ready for a winter open-water fix if the opportunity presents itself.

Happy turkey day to all you IDO’ers.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Looks like fun Z-man!

I’ve got to get down there and do that sometime.

Boog

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Joel….if you feel up to a late winter trip, let me know and we’ll make it happen. Although the Yarcraft is put away, it’s being stored in some extra warehouse space at work, and I can get it out pretty easily. So come late February, I’ll be needing a harbor Brown trout fix, just ahead of my annual Pool 4 March trek.
    Picked up some more of the magic gulp….they were the 5 inch jerk shads,in chartreuse pepper,I believe. I’m still having a hard believing that those fish did not bite on any other presentation. Oh well ….

PlayNHooky
    Sussex WI

Went down this morning and it was a slow morning but not terrible i guess.We each ended up with 1 fish a piece. missed a couple as well….2 of the fish came on spawn sacs and the other on gulp nothing on shiners…seen a couple other fish caught but thats about it…i have never seen as many people down there in that spot ever.I would have had photos of all 3 fish but one of them was dropped back in before i got out the camera…all fish released.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Thanks for the post, PNH. I have yet to try fishing from the walls, but sounds like fun without the hassle of lugging the boat over there in the winter. Looks like nice calm water in the background….hoping to get the boat out soon and give it a whirl before walleye season gets in the way.

PlayNHooky
    Sussex WI

This is typically a really good month for browns and bows dont wait to long….starting to see alot of fish caught lately….might try tomorrow but looking to be a little windy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.