Salmon fishing/Milwaukee

• z-man
    Dousman, WI

Well, the adventures of Diesel and Z-man continued on the Big Pond this time. After a reasonably successful day on the Rock last weekend, we decided to see if this tag team could make it happen somewhere else, and it did. We cruised out to 40 FOW just off the filters and started setting lines about 1:30 pm, and just after getting 5th line in ,the first king came on half-a core and monkey puke spoon, which Diesel’s eagle-eye keenly recognized as a hit, as the rod stayed bent in half until he retrieved it. (Z-man was distracted by rigging the 6th rod). Got the fish in and got all 6 lines set, and took about 30 minutes to get No. 2 in…a nice 5 pound Bo that jumped and jumped and jumped, with the final aerodynamic display being right into the net….again, same half-core rod. And so it went on, with Diesel, being a former college team fullback, muscling his way to the rods, until Z-man used a couple deek-moves to beat him there. Seems that most of the fish came wihile we were trolling against the 2 to 3 footers that developed, which caused a couple 180 turns and messed up lines, as we let go of the wheel to move rods and boat fish on my 17 ftr. Diesel got his practice unhooking these strong flopping fish in the chop,(which incidently he needed), but by the end of the day, the poor guy was almost in tears from being worn out by the fighters….got very close to whining….but was quickly distracted by another fish. So the final count was 9 for 10, plus two drive-by’s. Five for the monkey puke, 2 on Jplug/dipsey, and two on DR with coyote flasher/fly combo. All in 40 to 55 fow, circling the way-point we marked when No. 2 hit. Since I forgot to bring my digital in today, will post pictures next week. So where too next, Diesel?

duckwiz66

Heading out to Algoma this weekend…Anyone been out there, and have any advise for me, my dad, and brother?

Sounds like flashers are required equipment…anything on the top?

Any Info appreciated!

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Thanks to Ed for showing me a great time. Fishing with him on the big pond was a blast. It took a while to figure things out like how to stop a king from tangling the line while heading into the swells without hitting Ed with the rod and not tripping over the landing net while dancing on the deck with the swells. Beauty of a day. Man those fish can pull. I couldn’t get the rod tip high enough, I kept turning the crank and no line would come in. I yelled “we are gonna need a bigger boat” and I begged Ed to help me but he just laughed at me and said to quit whining. Oh was I whining again?

Looking forward to grilled trout and salmon this weekend. Jeff you gotta get out on the pond with Ed sometime. It was a great fishing from a non charter vessel where you could actual learn how to take the hooks out of a flopping Steelhead while maintaining the weak sea legs .

Thank again Ed.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Well here is the pic as promises. The stringer here was a little heavy in the swells but well worth it. Sorry again. I almost started whining again . Chins, Coho and steelies.

Jeff, ya should have been there.

I am having Keoni Island Broil Friday!!!!! Yum Yum

to you Ed.

Looking forward to the next adventure.

Derek

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Don’t let Derek fool you with that “heavy” note….he was doing curls with that ‘stringer’ in between fish. As for the next adventture, from the looks of Jeff’s post on the rock, I think that answers that for mid-September and onward. i still have at least one Lake MI trip to go….taking my nephew from chicago out on friday, if weather allows, for our annual outing.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Hit the Big Pond on Friday with my fishing-maniac nephew from Chicago. Although he left the house at 3:30 am to meet me, we didn’t launch till 6am. Started in the gap, just as the sun was peeking over the horizon….did two wide loops, with no fish, and decided tp pick up lines and head out to 60 fow and troll east. Worked to 100, and back to 50, and pretty much washed spoons and Jplugs, and flies, the whole time. Picked up again, and ran out to 150, as heard radio chat about colder water in the 120 to 150 range. Trolled in from out there, and finally picked up first fish in 90 fow….nothing out deeper. So after it was all said and done, we were 1 for 4, a 4 lb. coho. Other hits came in 80 to 100. Finished with a couple more passes in main gap on way in. But despite the slowwwwww day, the nephew was intent on sticking it out for our annual trip….first time in a long time I spent 12 hours, seeing the seas go from flat to 3/4 foot rollers and chop….no charters seen in late afternoon, and we were the only boat out as far as we could see fromn filters to almost fox point….should have told us something, but then again, the tough conditions served to build some character for the both of us ….better luck next year.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.