Memorial Day Week @ LOW?

• Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m going to be spending a week @ LOW starting on Saturday 5/25/2024.
    I’ve never been there before at this time of the year plus this far North either.
    What should I expect the weather and water temps to be at?
    Are leaches available now, I have worms and I assume Shinners are abundant.
    What style of fishing is common? I have gear for jigging, spinners, cranks and I could come up with dynamite possibly? shock shock jester jester
    I have a boat big enough for this body of water, where do you suggest I head out to?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Where will you be staying?

Onthewater

I’ll be there 22-28th. This time of year most people will be vertical jigging frozen shinners. I’d bet that is what almost all the charters will be doing also. Not saying that you can’t catch them trolling. In front of the gaps will produce a lot of fish. More consistent catching of big fish off the reefs this time of year but the spring winds can make it suck getting there.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ll be there 22-28th. This time of year most people will be vertical jigging frozen shinners. I’d bet that is what almost all the charters will be doing also. Not saying that you can’t catch them trolling. In front of the gaps will produce a lot of fish. More consistent catching of big fish off the reefs this time of year but the spring winds can make it suck getting there.

Surprised they are not using crawler and leach harness.

This time of the year @ Oahe that is the norm.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Onthewater summed it up. You shouldn’t have to go far to find fish out in front of Pine island or Zippel Bay. If the wind is blowing there are always fish in the river.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Onthewater summed it up. You shouldn’t have to go far to find fish out in front of Pine island or Zippel Bay. If the wind is blowing there are always fish in the river.

Thanks.

Onthewater

Surprised they are not using crawler and leach harness.

This time of the year @ Oahe that is the norm.

I’ve never been to Oahe but not being on the Canadian boarder the water temp probably is 10 degrees warmer than LOTW. If there is a year when that tactic could start producing in May it could be this year. The ice came off the lake much earlier than usual so I’m guessing the water temp should be higher than most years. I’ve had fish dropping eggs in my boat up there over this weekend in the past.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.