Medium Light Walleye Rod

• Dan Baker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan Baker wrote:</div>
    I’m definitely biased, but I love my Tuned Up Custom Rods and the new T1 is stellar.

TUCR makes some nice rods but have you ever recommended something other than a Tuned Up Custom Rod? I understand you work for TUCR and I get the push. I am sorry but I have a hard time taking the word of someone who thinks the best thing available for everything are the products they are sell.

Well when it comes to rods, I only use Tuned Up, so I don’t have any other recommendations to add. And since the OP direclty mentioned them, I figured I’d chime in. Also, that’s why I always preface my comments by saying that I am biased.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Well when it comes to rods, I only use Tuned Up, so I don’t have any other recommendations to add. And since the OP direclty mentioned them, I figured I’d chime in. Also, that’s why I always preface my comments by saying that I am biased.

I can respect that. toast

CaptainMusky

That is a dang good price for a quality rod!

acarroline

Bearcat, Captain Musky…tell me about these Sixgill rods. BOGO is on now…thinking of trying a spinning saga ans casting saga.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat, Captain Musky…tell me about these Sixgill rods. BOGO is on now…thinking of trying a spinning saga ans casting saga.

I have never touched a saga so I have no information on them. I own 8 lykans, 4 myakkas, 4 akylos and a couple creatures. Very nice rods for the price. I have 2 banshee reels that I don’t care for from them as well and 6 dreadnought reels which are my favorite reels out of any I own.

LabDaddy1

Interesting you like the HMG medium light . I thought it was too light for me for fish over 20 inches . Love the medium though .

Yea in fact after that I started using a lew’s Mach(1 or 2) in a literal LIGHT power while pitching/casting jigs on pool 2 for a little while. Landed plenty of walleyes from 19-22” and a 21” smallie, no problem.

Medium is a little too heavy and stiff for my liking usually. Especially for ‘eyes.

CaptainMusky

I like the Myakkas and the Lykans its the only two models I have. They may take some time to get though. I ordered one for my son to have for Christmas last year in like October but didnt get it until January. That is unusual however. They updated me multiple times that there was a delay so it wasnt a surprise and since there was ice everywhere he wasnt going to use it.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Got a limit creek smoothie

I have a few of them. I really like them for pitching plastics and throwing small cranks and blade baits. I think they perform best with 5/16, 1/4 oz jig weights.

They are ok for live bait but don’t have the action to perform with lighter jigs….say 1/8 oz.

Bang for the buck they are the best rod out there imho.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

On Bearcat89’s recommendation I bought some Sixgill products. 2 Lykans: one is my riggin’ rod (medium) and the other (medium heavy) is for plastics for bass. A Kranken rod for crank baits and an Anura for flippin’. Also 2 Hamarr bait casting reels. I’ve used the medium Lykan for riggin’ and like it. Handles bigger walleyes better than medium light. I’ve thrown crank baits with the Kranken/Hamarr combo and like that. Haven’t used the other 2 yet.
    I was going to put Dreadnought reels on the spinning rods but they were out of stock. Put Scheels Outfitters One Series by Daiwa Spinning Reel on the spinning rods. Like those. Sixgill said they will be coming out with a higher end spinning reel to replace the Dreadnought soon.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What happened to the other two? devil
    [/quote]

You dirty dog lol, the kid probably adopted them from me. Some how he keeps doing that

acarroline

6’9 smoothie arrived. If that stick fishes as good as it feels I’m sold for life. Let ya know after 4 days on leech next week.

Gillwhisperer

Id put a TUCR right there sensitivity wise with the nicest of st croix and g Loomis. Right now I use a GLoomis GLX walleye. I have a preference for recoil guides. Yes this rod is overkill. But I’m proud of it, I consider it an heirloom piece.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.