Medium Light Walleye Rod

• Bergy21

I currently have 2 of the Scheels Nano One medium light walleye rods. I like how light the are in the hand and the sensitivity but some times they feel a bit stiff and pull the jig out of the fished mouth.

Any recommendations for a good quality medium light walleye jigging rod? I have been looking at St. Croix Legend Elite, TUCR, Elliot, JT. I’m ok spending the money for a high end rod.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I currently have 2 of the Scheels Nano One medium light walleye rods. I like how light the are in the hand and the sensitivity but some times they feel a bit stiff and pull the jig out of the fished mouth.

Any recommendations for a good quality medium light <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye jigging rod? I have been looking at St. Croix Legend Elite, TUCR, Elliot, JT. I’m ok spending the money for a high end rod.

check out the classifieds…….there happens to be some St. Croix rods for sale!!!! waytogo

RT
    Twin Cities

The new Fenwick World Class and Elite rods are great. The 6-9, 7-2, and 7-6 ML have all performed well this year. Action and power are spot on.

Personal preference for length, but the 6-9 is my favorite jigging rod.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

$400 ? Yikes.

The Limit Creek “Smoothy” has been doing the job for for a very long time, still light and sensitive. MSRP $139.

SR

LabDaddy1

The new Fenwick World Class and Elite rods are great. The 6-9, 7-2, and 7-6 ML have all performed well this year. Action and power are spot on.

They discontinued the (fenwick) HMG didn’t they? That was one of my favorite “moderately” priced rods at around $100-$110. Sadly I just broke my beloved ML a couple months ago. Also have a cheaper HMX, but they are not nearly the quality as the HMG.

Curious how people are liking the new line(s) of decent/high end Fenwick rods.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i believe i have that fenwick HMG in the ultra light,,,,,i’d look but its 200 miles north of me at the moment. i LOVE that rod for panfish. its a shorty!!!

isu22andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>RT wrote:</div>

They discontinued the (fenwick) HMG didn’t they? That was one of my favorite “moderately” priced rods at around $100-$110. Sadly I just broke my beloved ML a couple months ago. Also have a cheaper HMX, but they are not nearly the quality as the HMG.

Interesting you like the HMG medium light . I thought it was too light for me for fish over 20 inches . Love the medium though .

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

The St Croix Legend Elite ML is a great rod. The 6’10” version is my favorite rod.

I recently bought the Trika 7’ ML. It is their 6X model. Used it in Canada for a week and it was excellent. Comparable to the St Croix and $100 less expensive.

Loomis13
    NULL

Classifieds on there is a 6’10” ML FX legend elite (or extreme). I have the elite and it’s fantastic.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Have to agree with Steve on the Limit Creek Smoothy! I bought one after reading some previous reviews on here and really enjoy the rod. Paired it with a Scheels outfitters guide size 1000 made by Daiwa couldn’t be happier.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have a few of the brands listed and my go to rod for jigging is the JT Customs JTX 7’1 Mag Med-Lite. I also have the 6’10” version as well

They are pricey but hold their own compared to $500 rod

Also, I know there has been mixed reviews about 2B Fishing, but I have a 6’10” ML XF and a 7′ Light rod and they are both great from my experience and they are more budget friendly

RT
    Twin Cities

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>RT wrote:</div>

The HMG is still there. Both the Eagle and HMG were upgraded and the Eagle now has a lifetime warranty.

I don’t feel as if the new 6-9 ML is overpowered by a 20 inch fish by any means.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Limit Creek Smoothie.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I love the smoothie but it’s not great for live bait jigging. If you want a true live bait jigging rod, this is the last rod you’ll ever buy.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Double ouch! I must not be that mad at them!!!

Dave maze
    Isanti

8# braided line will make most cheap rods sensitive enough for walleye jigging. There is no need to spend 400 on a walleye rod.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

8# braided line will make most cheap rods sensitive enough for walleye jigging. There is no need to spend 400 on a walleye rod.

I’ll disagree with this. Some applications it doesn’t matter but for finesse fishing I have seen and felt the difference.

The other thing with alot of the high end rods is warranty. Even though you pay a lot for the rod, replacements are usually covered.

Put 8# suffix 832 on a loomis glx and you will be amazed at the performance.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Put 8# suffix 832 on a loomis glx and you will be amazed at the performance.

Could not agree more Matt. Not everyone will invest that much but the feel is amazing.

Red Eye

If you’re interested in something custom DM me.

acarroline

$400 ? Yikes.

The Limit Creek “Smoothy” has been doing the job for for a very long time, still light and sensitive. MSRP $139.

SR

I’m interested in trying that 6’9 Limit Creek Smoothie. I have 2 of the 8’3 extendable for slip bobbering and have found the quality and craftmanship to be great, especially for the price. For spinning rods I currently run mainly St. Croix (Legend Elite, Eyecon, Premier) a couple Fenwick Elite, and the Limit Creek extendables. Scheels Pro Angler trolling rods. I’ve tried the 2B Genesis but had a horrible experience (won’t re-hash, search the recent thread).

CaptainMusky

Check out sixgill rods. They are often on a BOGO deal and they also have clearance sales. VERY nice rods. I have like 5 and love every one of them. My son got a massive snag a few years ago in Canada and was so upset I said just give me your rod, it was a Pfleuger and I will fix the mess and gave him mine a sixgill and he pounded 10 fish in about 15 minutes and I never got that rod back. So I ordered him a new rod.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Check out sixgill rods. They are often on a BOGO deal and they also have clearance sales. VERY nice rods. I have like 5 and love every one of them. My son got a massive snag a few years ago in Canada and was so upset I said just give me your rod, it was a Pfleuger and I will fix the mess and gave him mine a sixgill and he pounded 10 fish in about 15 minutes and I never got that rod back. So I ordered him a new rod.

What sixgill are u using. The lykan series is my favorite jigging rod. I’ve said it many times, I grab that rod before any of my gloomis or croixs. But they discontinued the lykan rods now. So the 10 I have is it for that. I have a few more myakka and creature rods and a couple akylos as well but those are bass rods.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

Any recommendations for a good quality medium light <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye jigging rod? I have been looking at St. Croix Legend Elite, TUCR, Elliot, JT. I’m ok spending the money for a high end rod.

If you don’t mind spending the money then in my opinion the G Loomis NRX drop shot rod is the best jigging rod I’ve tried and I’ve tried a lot of rods. https://www.gloomis.com/collections/conventional-bass/products/nrx-plus-dropshot Even though its intended as a bass drop shot rod it works great for finesse jigging walleyes, extremely light and sensitive and being a drop shot rod it has a “soft” tip. Joe’s in St. Paul just had them 20% off but I think that sale ended Sunday.

CaptainMusky

What sixgill are u using. The lykan series is my favorite jigging rod. I’ve said it many times, I grab that rod before any of my gloomis or croixs. But they discontinued the lykan rods now. So the 10 I have is it for that. I have a few more myakka and creature rods and a couple akylos as well but those are rods.

My rigging rod is a myakka (I have two of them) one of the others I just bought my son is a Lykan I am pretty sure.

Dan Baker

I’m definitly biased, but I love my Tuned Up Custom Rods and the new T1 is stellar.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Shimano Poison Adrena 6’10” UL/M spinning rod

MX1825

I’m definitly biased, but I love my Tuned Up Custom Rods and the new T1 is stellar.

I got that email from TUCR and almost pulled the trigger on a T1.
    Then thinking half my Croix’s got dust on them, from lack of fishing time the last 2 summers, common sense prevailed. doah bawling

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I’m definitely biased, but I love my Tuned Up Custom Rods and the new T1 is stellar.

TUCR makes some nice rods but have you ever recommended something other than a Tuned Up Custom Rod? I understand you work for TUCR and I get the push. I am sorry but I have a hard time taking the word of someone who thinks the best thing available for everything are the products they are sell.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, I have a hard time trusting someone’s opinion on a product if they are affiliated with them. I am not saying they are lying, but they have a vested interest. I pay for everything I have so if I recommend something its because I spent money on it and I like it. If it is trash I will say that too. I have had a few of those purchases!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I am impressed with my Kistler Helium 3 rods when you can get them on sale are they as good as my StCoix Legend Elites almost but for half the price on sale it is a winner.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.