Medium fast for jigging raps?? isnt that too heavy for the rod?

• Kenny B

I got a 7 foot medium fast Shimano Zodias. After a lot of research I see everyone suggest that exact thing for casting jigging raps for walleye. Or sometimes even a medium light rod. And people say they like using size 7 and 9’s for walleye. The rod specs suggest a 3/18 to 1/2 oz lure for a medium fast. Im scared to cast 5/8 or even 7/8 ounce jigs on that!? I like to cast as far as possible to get close to the drop off from the dock I live at as possible (its 150 feet out). But would hate to damage my new rod whipping a jigging rap that far. Would I be better off getting a medium heavy fast cheap setup or something for that? You think a size 7 (5/8) would at least be ok and maybe just avoid the size 9s for casting?

Jimmy Jones

The lure weight range and line weight ranges are simply suggested ranges. Rods with identical ranges can and will handle identical lures differently so you need to try various weights of lures on whatever line weight you choose to determine how your rod handles things. I have a 10′ 6″ steelhead spinning rod that supposedly maxes out at 3/8 ounce for lures yet I cast 5/8 Krokodile lures like a charm with it. Your rod will tell you when you’ve hit the weight limit.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

If you’re concerned about the rod, in my opinion you don’t need much for feel, but rather give if you’re using braid, a majority of the time you won’t feel bite, but rather they’ll be on when you snap up

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

There are no set standards on how a rod is rated. One company I know of calls out a rod as an extra fast ML in one of their lines and uses the exact same blank and calls is a fast M in their other line. So unless they suggest that exact rod model it is not the same.

ranger680t

It’s interesting to me how many of the TV/utube personalities suggest using a 7′ to 7.5′ ML for this application. I’ve tried using this length in the ML St. Croix lineup and I personally can’t stand it. Just way too much feedback after the upstroke/snap. Unless anyone has a suggestion for different rodmaker so I can see what I’m missing? Otherwise I’ll stick with the 6’8″ MF St Croix that I’m currently using.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

EYECON 6’8″MXF is listed as their “snap jig” rod. I find it works well for this application.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

It’s interesting to me how many of the TV/utube personalities suggest using a 7′ to 7.5′ ML for this application. I’ve tried using this length in the ML St. Croix lineup and I personally can’t stand it. Just way too much feedback after the upstroke/snap. Unless anyone has a suggestion for different rodmaker so I can see what I’m missing? Otherwise I’ll stick with the 6’8″ MF St Croix that I’m currently using.

Not to sound like a weenie, but you are getting feedback from a jiggin rap or are you talking about rippin raps?

I use a 7′ med/light fast action and its fine. I dont cast the really big ones though.

ranger680t

Browndog, yes I use the Legend Elite version of that rod and like it.

DaveB, I get horrible feedback while snap jigging the jigging rap style baits size 7 and up. I’ve tried with a 7.5′ ML Eyecon and 6’10” ML Legend Elite. What brand/model do you use? Even though I do like the rod I’m using I can’t help but wonder if a ML would increase hook up percentage and help them stay pinned.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I find the medium action vs the ML to be better for #7/#9 jiggin raps. It takes less ‘snap’ which ultimately leads to less fatigue. Just my opinion though

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Cut off the hooks on each end to have less fish lost half way to the boat.
    I’ve only fished with the center treble for the past 10 yrs.

Jeff Schomaker

I’m with you brown dog. I wish I could use the action of the medium to work the bait but use a ML to fight the fish. The medium action definitely works the bait with much less effort.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.