Maximizing Your Fishing Opportunities: Barometric Pressure

• jumbo1619
    NULL

After watching Joel’s and James’ Big Gill video from last week, I took a quick look at the WeatherUnderground weather report to look at the pressure graph. With this cold front (High Pressure) overhead, I wanted to see what was on the backside of this system. They talked in the video about the pressure getting to 30.6″ and falling to 29.9″ and the fish were aggressive, as the video clearly showed. With all this being said, the attached chart below shows a huge drop they allueted to on the episode. It looks like the barometer tops out around 30.85″ in Minneapolis around 9am Tuesday and a steady fall until Wednesday at 5pm at 30.08″, followed by a couple of days of pressure around 30″ (which looks like good fishing as well). I hope James and Joel, can add a few comments about this drop in barometer and at what time ranges during this drop may be the best. I just thought I would pass along this info to all IDO members to help maximize their fishing opportunities.

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2014-12-29-at-11.00.27-AM.png

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

One thing that may be different from the show is the pressure has been inconsistent. We had been at a steady high pressure for several days preceding the panfish show.

I am no expert by any means, been watching the weather myself for several days, going up fishing Thursday AM through Saturday. Hopefully the drop in pressure does lead to better fishing, but I will be hitting it hard regardless. Hoping the hidden gems I found on Lake finder produce to expectations!

jumbo1619
    NULL

You make a very good point about the steady pressure proceeding the show and our inconsistent pressure now before this big drop. I am beginning to think there are too many factors even within pressure that makes you want to beat your head against the wall. I will continue to fish when I can and not rely too much on weather, but will still take a look at the graph before venturing out to put together my own strategy/pattern, if there are ever is one.

TripleA
    Blaine

For the average guy just fish when you can… I usually look at the barometer right before an outing to see if the days fish caught correlates with the barometer at all… now I just need 20+ years of experience to see if it makes any real difference.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

In open water fishing a sudden drop in the barometric pressure can lead to some hot fishing. Often it ushers in a cold front and fishing then drops off. I’ve seen the pike and walleye go nuts with the drop in pressure, then the storm settles in. After that it was hard to catch a fish.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Help-I downloaded this app too after watching that, but mine only shows temp and not the barometric pressure. What did I screw up? -(

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

You didn’t mess up Rev. The app does not show the BP. Use the desktop version to get to the BP.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Thanks JD! Actually, I found it on my app, though it only shows current barometric pressure. It’s in the “details” portion along with humidity, dewpoint, etc. Right now it’s telling me 30.40 and falling, which I interpret to be that I should be out on the ice and not here at work! flame

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.