Marine Batteries

• Eric Evans

My Main starter battery just recently went bad. I need to replace it and I also just purchased a new 112# Terrova and need another battery for that as well. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a good battery with a good warranty? I’m willing to spend good money if its worth it. I have a 19ft Sylvan Dual Console with a 150 2stk Merc. Thanks in advance for all the help!!

Crappy Fisherman

The 3 deep cycle should all be the same age or the older ones will probably shorten the life span of the new one. Fleet Farm has good prices and a no questions asked warranty. I would go at least group 27 duel purpose for the starting battery depending on your electronics.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

For your starting battery, get the biggest deep cycle or agm battery that will fit. The deep cycle batteries will have more than enough cranking amps for your motor and will be much better suited for running your electronics.

Agm batteries will always have the best warranty. Usually around 3 years. Deep cycle batteries seem to all have one year warranties.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I’ve had great luck with Interstate batteries..

mallardmayhem
    Spicer, MN

Look at Exide dual purpose group 27s. I was all interstate until I tried these. Haven’t been disappointed.

Eric Evans

Do any of you guys run your electronics off your main battery or do you have a dedicated battery for it?

Reef W

Do any of you guys run your electronics off your main battery or do you have a dedicated battery for it?

Everything but the trolling motor uses the starting battery in mine. I have a 7″ Garmin and a 5″ Garmin.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Some of us do, including me. My main battery is a group 27 and I run a 50-hp 4-stroke, 3 sonars, no radio, seldom use the livewell pump. Guys who run power steering pumps while trolling with a kicker, run the livewell a lot, crank big engines, etc., often have a dedicated battery. If you’ve been ok so far with your setup, just get the biggest battery that fits and go with it.

Eric Evans

I will have a radio with 4 speakers, Helix 7SI, 150 merc, live well and the other small things of main battery, then have my dedicated 3 12’s for the 36v Trolling motor. Do any of you guys use a solar trickle charger at all? Ive hear it can help but im not sure if I’ll need it -__-

Ron
    Victoria, mn

A solar charger that would do any good would be too many square feet to use in a boat.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I will have a radio with 4 speakers, Helix 7SI, 150 merc, live well and the other small things of main battery, then have my dedicated 3 12’s for the 36v Trolling motor. Do any of you guys use a solar trickle charger at all? Ive hear it can help but im not sure if I’ll need it -__-

I’m curious what type if “help” you need from solar panels? Are you having dead batteries? I run my lowrance with SS, radio and other small things off a AGM 27 series and have never had a dead battery. I’d suggest a group 31 AGM and you should be set for the weekend+ on a charge.

mojogunter

My interstate 27 starting battery just died this weekend it is two years old. Takes a full charge but wouldn’t start the big engine today after 12 hours on the water with 2 graphs a VHF radio and a stereo. No livewells running. Seems like I always got 3 years out of a starting battery in the past. Going back to a agm.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Go with a bigger agm mojo, better deepcycle capabilities and still cranks.

mojogunter

Thanks, I ordered one today on my way home from green bay.

Go with a bigger agm mojo, better deepcycle capabilities and still cranks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.