Maple Syrup?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looking at the forecast wondering if its going to be another early year for taping trees. On the north side of the twin cities about a week out its calling for high thirties and low forties. Think we started to tap in late February last spring. Tapped early with a good run. Then things cooled and then had a later warm up with another real good run.

Anyone else getting prepped for taping yet?

big_g
    Isle, MN

hey Mike, how much sap to make a gallon of syrup ? just sold a barrel stove to a syrup guy, wanted to ask him but I forgot… doah

Tony Nigon

Its usually around 40 gallons for ‘soft’ maples and 25 gallons for ‘hard’ maples. Not sure the taxonomical difference between the two, but they definitely look slightly different.

Charles

Ah yes the best time in the world, syrup time!

I usually start in march I got froze out last year, I am skipping this year.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Richardson Nature Center has already tapped a few trees. But until we get consistent temps above freezing during the day it won’t be very good.

SR

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I to had heard of guys taping south of the cities. We tapped early last year and had a good run. Then it cooled and slowed the trees. Then had a fantastic run again later on.

I still dont even have a cooker set up for this year. Did get a gas line ran out of the house to the back yard.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

We just had a logging project wrap up last Fri (Feb 3) off Hwy 210 in Aitkin/Carlton Co. The loggers commented they’ve had all kinds of problems with things firming up this winter. They even commented this winter has been worse than last winter. Sounded like they had an upcoming spruce project and things were not sufficiently frozen.

You may be correct in an early tapping season.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I hope it holds off for a little bit yet. I have had syrup season on my mind for the past 2-3 weeks. I am now in prep mode, trying to make some adjustments to my evaporator which include:

– New front with a wood door and an ash door w/vents (BIL is getting this CNC’d out of 14 gauge steel). I didn’t have a front on it last year as I built it kind of last minute.
    – New frame out of angle iron for the pan to sit on. Last year I had it sitting direct on landscaping block.
    – U-siphon to siphons from warming pan to boiling pan. I included a valve so I can control the flow (see pic).
    – Adding drop flues to my warming pan. There will be 32, 3/4″ copper tubes mounted to the pan (see pic).

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6831.jpg

2. IMG_68081.jpg

3. IMG_6832.jpg

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Seems like some people who fish also know about syrup. I have tinkered with the idea of trying to make surup with my son just to show him something interesting. Can anyone tell me what I would realistically need to accomplish this? Do I just need a tap? Toss it on the turkey fryer? I have one large norway maple in my yard. Not looking for any quantity, just want to go through the process and eat a meal or two.

Tony Nigon

I started doing it super small-time with my Dad when I was very young, then progressed to tapping a dozen trees and getting 4-5 gallons a year. I used to sell it by the quart to my teachers to fund my walleye addiction.

To start small, all you’d need is a tap, a bag hanger, a bag or 2 (squirrels like to chew the corners), a drill, a pot, and a stove. I guess you’ll need a cooking thermometer too, but that’s about it. Super simple. Its been years since I’ve done it but think the standard tap is a 7/16in bit. Your turkey fryer would be perfect. That way you can do it outside; my mom was not very stoked when our entire kitchen was sticky when we first started.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We started with milk jugs and bendy straws. Drill 1/4″ hole in tree, wrap a little teflon tape around bendy straw to seal it in the hole. Hang jug so straw goes in it. Some days we would get a couple of gallons a day with this. With small holes no problem hanging two or three on a tree. Holes close up quick compared to larger taps.

Get some coolers or food grade 5 gallon buckets to store sap. Turkey cooker will work good. I made a wind sheild to help hold in some heat.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Thanks! I hope to try this year. I saw the dnr has info about making wood taps too – seems anything that drips out works.

I have two absolutely enormous silver maples too – are these worth trying? I read the end product might not taste great.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Tap away. Think bad maple syrup is like bad pizza. Still pretty darn good. Think my wife boils down somewhere between 15 to 20 gallons for a batch. Seem to remember that makes two to 3 quarts. Takes about one 20 pound tank of propane to boil that down. Are switching to nature gas this season.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Thanks! I hope to try this year. I saw the dnr has info about making wood taps too – seems anything that drips out works.

I have two absolutely enormous silver maples too – are these worth trying? I read the end product might not taste great.

I would say it would be worth tapping, doesn’t matter the type of maple. Depending on how big they are a chest height, you might be able to tap them multiple times.

And there is no sense in making taps, they can be purchased on various sites (www.leaderevaporator.com) for .15-.40 a piece. Then just make sure you read up on tapping, proper depth, etc so you don’t harm the tree. I use food grade tubing (can be found at Lowes) and food grade 5 gallon buckets.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

-6deg this morning here on mille lacs. A far cry from tapping tree weather. March is just over the next hill and will be here in no time. At my age, time goes by too fast anyway, no reason to rush it

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Got a few trees tapped in the yard this week and the saps are running. Dont expect much today but weather over the weekend and next week is looking good.

Second photo is our burner set up for cooking this year. Old burner I used to use in my fish house for cooking. Ran a nature gas line to the edge of the deck for it. Boiled water pretty quick the other day. Should work good for sap. Got some tin to make a little wind break around it.

Attachments:
    1. 20170224_080430-1.jpg

2. 20170224_080430.jpg

3. 16938909_10154930407184526_1055290116345818788_n.jpg

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I have been collecting sap for a couple of weeks down here in SE Wisconsin. Last weekend with the warm weather, everything suddenly shut off and have not collected a drop since Saturday. Last night on the way home from work, I noticed some trees were looking green, turned out to be maple trees with the buds popped open already-not my trees. Think I am done for the season? Or will the cold weather this weekend get the sap flowing again?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Its still February. Wouldnt think its over yet. Just getting started. End of march early april is usual end for us.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

If the trees have bud they are done.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Nice work Mike!

Looking at the long range forecast I think I may tap next weekend. Currently welding up a frame and door for my arch. Got my pre-warming pan complete and I also built a siphon to move sap from the warming pan to the main pan, which I can control the flow based on how much sap is needed in the main pain.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6850.jpg

2. IMG_6849.jpg

Sam
    St.Francis

We have over 100 gallons right now in central MN this is the earliest we have tapped trees

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

The Arcadia country Club is full of maples and they have been tapped for almost 2 weeks.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Finished up our 1st batch last night. 10 pints of syrup. 40 gallons or so of sap boiled down to make this. Currently we have 5 trees tapped and still trying to keep up with all the sap they are producing. Might have to set up a second cooker to get caught up. In the mean time pancakes for breakfast this morning.

Attachments:
    1. 17190571_10154957289294526_2176173263970924700_n.jpg

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

If the trees have bud they are done.

How true is this? I’m just curious. This is my first year collecting sap and making syrup. I’m teamed with a friend who has done it before, but this weekend we tapped some more trees and most of them do have little buds on them. But as soon as the hole was drilled for the tap, the sap came pouring out!

Aaron Kalberer

IceNEyes, from what I have heard granted I am no expert, once the buds get swollen like they are ready to leaf out is when the sap takes on a “buddy” flavor as in bitter. If someone knows otherwise please correct me if I am wrong, that is just what I understand form my research.

My trees are flowing well. Hoping to have another 5+ gallons of sap tonight have 10 gallons frozen from an earlier run waiting to get enough to boil down for approximately 1 gallon of syrup.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

IceNEyes, from what I have heard granted I am no expert, once the buds get swollen like they are ready to leaf out is when the sap takes on a “buddy” flavor as in bitter. If someone knows otherwise please correct me if I am wrong, that is just what I understand form my research.

I see, that makes sense. I wouldn’t say the trees have “swollen” buds, just small buds starting. Either way, we’re going for it! Had 25 pails out with each about 1/3-1/2 full of frozen sap Saturday morning. We put 8 more buckets out and 14 more taps. Went back Sunday to empty what we gained and what thawed out into our drums. So far looking good! Going back tomorrow to empty them again.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Our trees have buds but i think its more when the buds start to open. On the north side of the twin cities we could collect sap the rest pf this month. Have also heard you want to watch the sap. End of season it will turn milky.

Sam
    St.Francis

I just finished gallon number five last night this year will be better than last year

Aaron Kalberer

So my question is, on a warm say 50 degree day how much sap should a standard 18″ diameter tree produce? I have 12 taps out and I would have to store sap for a week before having enough sap to be able to boil down to a gallon of syrup? Id say 5 gallons a day for all 12 taps. Does that seem right?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.