LX7 firmware update

• TripleA
    Blaine

Seasons almost over, any update yet?…

Kfactor

I don’t think it will happen this year

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

It has been a year since the last release, you think they could fix this? Maybe not a firmware issue?

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I do like my LX7. I was one of the early adopters of the LX7. I took a chance when the early releases were not to favorable. This is my fourth year.

But it is a little disappointing when it takes a long time for updates and years of trying to get it dialed in. My issue with the sonar is the gradation (sp) in the sensitivity button. Sensitivity of 2 is too light and 3 is too strong. I tried playing with the target adjust also to no avail. I would hope on the lower end of the sensitivity spectrum they would allow for more gradual increments and step it up on the higher end. (Previous update was better in this regard)

I own 4 marcum sonars I would like to sell some get down to 2 units and have an LX6 with my 7 but right know I think I will hang on to my LX5, DB Showdown, and Troller 2 until they get this LX7 dialed in.

Bob
    PS the case leaves little to be desired too.
    It would be nice if the chart screen had a zoom section too. But for now I would really like a more usable sensitivity range.

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

I have Chart Zoom on mine.

1. the case is terrible
    2. shallow water is a joke (yes, even with open water mode)

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Joe
    My wish would be that the chart mode on the left side would also zoom in to the bottom right hand corner of the chart. My Hummingbirds (898 and 788) will do this. It just a wish. I do like the vertical zoom column and the standard depth column and use it all the time.

I use my LX7 just like yours
    Thanks
    Bob

JoeMX1825
    MN

The case issue can be fixed with 2 straps of velcro sewn in that secure down the shuttle to the case, then add 3 strips of velcro sewn to the bottom flap of the case cover so it better attaches shut. I had mine done in-house, but others have stated their local sewing shop did it for $10

jarrod holbrook

For the lx7,
    1. Case sucks
    2. Doesn’t fit in a 5gallon bucket
    3. Charger sucks
    4. Poor shallow water performance

I “upgraded” from my hummingbird 35 to an lx7… Thank goodness I never sold the 35. My marcum has been back to the factory twice. They gladly fixed it and paid shipping both ways, both times. Customer service is awesome, but I have to say I’m just not happy with it. For good old bucket fishing in 12 feet of water I still just grab the trusty hummingbird 35 and head to the lake. The charger off my 35 charges the marcum too. In deep water the lx7 shines, and it is a wealth of info, but sometimes the k.i.s.s. Method is the better choice.

TripleA
    Blaine

It has to be more than a software issue effecting shallow water performance… otherwise it would have been fixed years ago.

It has to be more than a software issue effecting shallow water performance… otherwise it would have been fixed years ago.

I don’t mean to keep saying this, but calling the digital units woes a shallow water problem isn’t 100% accurate. The near transducer readings are bad shallow and deep, it performance gets worse the deeper the range.

It’s a numbers game with this unit. MOST people don’t fish that much really and when they do, they typically fish in about 20′ and target fish near the bottom of the column. MOST people think the unit is the best. MANY people fish shallow too, so they are affected. MANY people think this needs to be improved. In comparison, relatively FEW people target fish near their transducers in deeper water; most folks wives and family just aren’t that understanding.. So only a FEW people are sharpening their pitchforks. jester

Mark Rasmussen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TripleA wrote:</div>

I don’t mean to keep saying this, but calling the digital units woes a shallow water problem isn’t 100% accurate. The near transducer readings are bad shallow and deep, it performance gets worse the deeper the range.

It’s a numbers game with this unit. MOST people don’t fish that much really and when they do, they typically fish in about 20′ and target fish near the bottom of the column. MOST people think the unit is the best. MANY people fish shallow too, so they are affected. MANY people think this needs to be improved. In comparison, relatively FEW people target fish near their transducers in deeper water; most folks wives and family just aren’t that understanding.. So only a FEW people are sharpening their pitchforks. jester

Just curious, what’s the deep water issue? I was hoping to take the LX7 out for Lakers this weekend… I hadn’t heard about the deep water issue. I’ve used mine from about 6 ft out to about 40 ft and everything seemed ok, other than going to open water mode in 6 ft and messing with the sensitivity.

TripleA
    Blaine

Dynamic depth seems to make the unit lag like an early 90’s Dell Desktop for me, usually when there are a lot of fish on screen. I just quit using dynamic and it went away.

Spencer Haugen

I used my 7 for lakers and it worked flawlessly in the deep water

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

What if the issue is in the ducer and they don’t want to open up that can of worms?

I bought the unit for the fact of online upgrades, don’t get me wrong I like my 7 allot but would like to see more efforts towards the updates then seeing them improve a motorized flasher unit. Seems like a step backwards to me.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TripleA wrote:</div>

What if the issue is in the ducer and they don’t want to open up that can of worms?

I bought the unit for the fact of online upgrades, don’t get me wrong I like my 7 allot but would like to see more efforts towards the updates then seeing them improve a motorized flasher unit. Seems like a step backwards to me.

I completely agree. The lx7 is a flagship model with customers paying top dollar. They have had 4 years to dial in the performance. Let’s step up the effort Marcum.

jarrod holbrook

If they offered to buy it back for what I paid it would be gone… When I pay top dollar I expect quality and performance. This unit is nice, but it comes up short. I keep it because of what I paid, but I wish they would update it and clean this up.

curleytail

I might be in the dark on this one but what update is everybody hoping comes out? Sounds like shallow water isn’t so good. I usually fish water at least 10 feet deep for the most part. I got an LX7 this year and so far I love it. I do quite a bit of my fishing over deep water for suspended crappies and it works great for that.

I have used it in pretty shallow water though and it still seems fine. Might not pick the jig up if it’s closer than 2-3 feet from the transducer, but I don’t think my Vexilar did either.

Is there something else that everyone is having issues with?

Tucker

JoeMX1825
    MN

Hopefully the IDO guys can chime in with some answers as Marcum is their major sponsor….

Can Marcum update their advertising videos to more accurately describe their LX 6/7/9 Software Update schedule from “Regularly” to “Every few years” instead?

Last update was released on January 20th, 2014! You can’t tell me they didn’t have things customers requested they fix since that time… I find it hard to believe the “Shallow Water Fix” has been almost 25+ months in development?

Mike H

The shallow water issue isn’t as big of a deal because I don’t fish under 10 feet very often but I agree the case is bad. I do really like the features it offers. Probably more than anyone needs…

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

I have noticed that when fishing in deeper water as you lower your lure you wont see it for sometime (about the first 5 feet nothing) Then it appears fine. But then adjusting the sensitivity is difficult due to gradation (sp) sensitivity of say 2 is not enough and 3 is too much or more than needed. 99 % of the time im using the 20 degree cone.

If my memory is correct the previous update was better with the gradation of sensitivity but that was sometime ago.

As I type this Im considering selling this unit next season if no update of substance comes out.

Im not trying to bash Marcum. I own 4 sonars from them. I really like how the LX7 presents (displays) information to a Angler. Its just disappointing that they cant get this flagship sonar where it should be. I took a chance thinking they will make it right. Maybe they will in time. My other Marcum sonars work fantastic.
    Bob

Spencer Haugen

Here’s some helpful tips with out the update for fishing shallow

Attachments:
    1. image-2.png

Jeremy Hadrava

I’ve owned several MarCum products and I will say I’ve been content with them overall. However with that said, a $600.00 to $700.00 unit should work the way intended or a company should make every effort to ensure that the product functions to the level that it should at that price point. To me it seems as though the MarCum/Rapala alliance has caused some issues in getting products out the door first versus ensuring they meet the needs of the consumer given what they pay…

big_g
    Isle, MN

Isn’t it funny how, if you own a FL8 or an LX3… since the day you bought it, you have had ZERO updates… and you likely won’t for the next 100 years on them units, which is not a problem for you ? I know when something works, why mess with it ? I had zero probems with my LX9 (LX7 with a camera) in 2 seasons and now have the LX6 with no problems…? Don’t you put it in the hole, dial it in and fish ? ???

JoeMX1825
    MN

The point is that with the digital format Marcum promised that any enhancement/bug can easily be added/fixed to your existing unit in the future vs the hard coded mechanical flasher issue of you get what you get once you open the box and hope they add/fix any issues in the next year’s model (which requires you sell yours at a loss and buy the new one)

Most Marcum LX-6/7/9 owners are arguing that Marcum has only released fixes for issues that should have worked out of the box (except for Dynamic depth which was a new featured added)

One of Marcum’s main selling points for justifying the digital format/higher price was that these units would receive added updates “Regularly” via a software update vs buying a new unit, that just hasn’t happend yet…

big_g
    Isle, MN

Aren’t they like $200 higher than the old technology comparable units ?? crazy

Josh Bothum

Isn’t it funny how, if you own a FL8 or an LX3… since the day you bought it, you have had ZERO updates… and you likely won’t for the next 100 years on them units, which is not a problem for you ? I know when something works, why mess with it ? I had zero probems with my LX9 (LX7 with a camera) in 2 seasons and now have the LX6 with no problems…? Don’t you put it in the hole, dial it in and fish ? ???

I’m with you big g… Have had a 7 for 3 years… I’ll admit mine gets a little wonky when fishing less than 10 fow… But I can adjust mine to see bottom and jig, and God willing… sometimes I’ll even mark fish coming through! )

Multiple comments about “crappy case”… Seriously? Lol, what’s wrong with your carrying case?

jarrod holbrook

If you don’t modify it the flasher falls out by grabbing the handle on the case. They also tried some “piggy back” spade connectors to allow the charger to stay on the battery. Kinda cheap quality for what you pay for the units. As others expressed above, I bought new technology and thought that a company like marcum would keep improving it. They must be using all their r&d to make something new and shiny. Little do they know that my $700 will not be waiting☹️

TripleA
    Blaine

My VX1-P works great too no updates needed, that’s why I thought the LX-7 would be great considering its twice the price. Instead it’s just “good”, but would be great if they were able to fix the issues it has. someday…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.