LX7 ducer depth

• Tim

So I’ve been out with my LX7 a couple times now and I’m not sure if I’m putting the transducer at the right depth. The manual says it only needs to be under water by a few inches, but I get a ton of interference like that. Seems like I only get clear readings with it at the bottom of the ice. Any suggestions?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Bottom of ice for me.

TripleA
    Blaine

Needs to be at bottom of the ice or close to.

Michel Dubosq

same here Ive just bought one a couple weeks ago and the manual is quite confusing for that, it says to put the least possible

Skol
    Lake City

I put bottom of the ducer flush or slightly below with bottom of the ice.

Attachments:
    1. 0108181230d.jpg

Tim

I put bottom of the ducer flush or slightly below with bottom of the ice.

Do you double your holes all the time? Seems like a lot of extra drilling when you’re outside a house moving around

Skol
    Lake City

I fish alone alot and not having an extra hand to pull the ducer, drilling an second hole became habbit for me.
    Years ago I hooked into a big fish, right out of the gate he ran and wrapped my ducer cord up in the line. The cord ended up getting severed and that darn fish cost me $100 for a new ducer.
    So long story short…yeah every time if I’m in the flip over….hole hopping I’m close enough to the hole to quickly yank it.

Skol
    Lake City

One other tip….when your popping your second hole —thow your shovel over your open hole when drilling #2, it’ll save you a bunch of time with the ice skim.

TripleA
    Blaine

Think about what the transducer is doing. Sending out sonar signals and looking for the return signals to show you the bottom and anything in between. If the signals are hitting the ice in the hole and bouncing every direction the returns will be all over the place and will show up as interference like.

jgss2

I put mine a few inches below the bottom of the ice.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

X 2 on the two hole method.

Depending on where we fish out of on LOTW I may drill a 2nd hole in the rented house. redface But don’t tell anyone.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

If the signals are hitting the ice in the hole and bouncing every direction the returns will be all over the place and will show up as interference like.

The signals do not “bounce” off the ice……ice is water in a different form….you can read depth though ice with a little film of water on top…while dirty ice can screw things up a bit that’s because it’s dirt not water grin
    Marcum recommends the transducer at the top of the hole for shallow water….

Tom Dace

I use mine with the bottom of the transducer maybe an inch below the surface. I’ve never had any issues having it that high.

bdmac

I run mine as the manual recommends, it’s only a few inches in the water. Have not had an interference issue and best thing is very few ducer tangles bring fish up the hole!

maddogg

I have mine so the puck is just under the water and it works fine.

Mike S.

I was having same problem after always putting ducer just below the water line. It ended up being a problem with the motherboard sending a weak signal. Dropped it off at Marcum and they fixed it and gave me a new ducer just to be on the safe side. There is a test you can preform to see if you have a weak signal. Look it up on youtube, Marcum has a video posted on how to do it.

Mike S.

I was having same problem after always putting ducer just below the water line. It ended up being a problem with the motherboard sending a weak signal. Dropped it off at Marcum and they fixed it and gave me a new ducer just to be on the safe side. There is a test you can preform to see if you have a weak signal. Look it up on youtube, Marcum has a video posted on how to do it.

Just an update for my problem. I got my LX7 back from Marcum, they said it was a bad ducer core which caused a short in some of the components on the motherboard. I will give it a try this weekend on Mille Lacs.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.