Lund/Merc Titan steering problems

I am new to the tiller power assist/steering world. I have a 2016 Lund ProGuide 1775 with a 90 Merc. With Titan steering. Maybe I didn’t understand the difference between power steering and Titan assist but I am somewhat dissatisfied with the end result. Titan holds you when running to a point you could let go of the tiller handle and it won’t move…even in huge waves or if you hit something. A great safety thing, however I am an older guy with a little less strength in my shoulder and have a really tough time steering at higher speeds. I am almost worn out after a day of running and fishing. Seems like it should turn easier. My dealer sells so few tillers rigged this way they really don’t seem to know much. It’s been back multiple times for adjusting…no real change. Would I be better to go to a true power steering and can that be retrofit later? Thanks for reading this long post.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I am not sure how your Merc/Titan system works but I have a Titan with my 2009 90hp Yamaha but mine works great. You are correct that there is no power just locks the tiller arm/motor in place until you move the tiller arm about a 1/4″ then it releases the lock and turn any way you want. Mine is very easy to turn but its not like a powered unit either. Is your trim tab adjusted correctly? Also maybe your motor height needs to be moved up or down.

We’ve moved the motor up a bit because the tillerhandle is fairly large and won’t allow us to tilt the outboard enough.
    Cavitation plate has been moved a couple times…could be checked because it pushes easier than it pulls so to speak. Thanks

kroger3
    blaine mn

Titan is designed to be a “no feedback system” meaning the motor stays put until you turn it. Unfortunately it is not a “power steering system”.

Sounds like you may have a combination of motor height, tilt/trim, and prop going on. Proping can make a huge difference on steering at high speeds as well as motor height.

mmitties
    SE MN

Robert I sent you a private message with my phone number. Give me a call I have the same set-up as you and should be able to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.