Lund Pro Guide 1775 vs Alumacraft Competitor 175 Tillers

• Walleye Hungry

Good Morning Guys/Gals. Looking to trade my 95 Lund in for a 2020 model and started to compare the Pro Guide against the Competitor Tiller both in a 17 and a half foot size.

I have to say before i had put in some research and looked at a few i was dead set on the Lund. Now after comparing the two i hands down like the competitor tiller more. Here is a few things i have found to be difference makers.

– Lund max hp 75, AL max hp 90
    – Lund center console is smaller but only houses tackle bins, AL much bigger and has lockable pullout drawers
    – Lund storage is terrible. No locking storage, 6 cubby holes instead of storage lockers, smaller rod box
    – Al has all lockable storage, 8 foot rod lockers, and has a cool pivoting graph table that holds your graphs but also tucks them into a lockable storage compartment
    – Lund has one rear livewell. AL has a livewell in rear, upfront and a 13 gal side cooler.
    – Al comes with a ladder on the back (not sure if thats good or not, need wave wackers)

Not bashing on Lund at all (especially since i own one and loved it) but i dont see a reason to go with the pro guide here. If anyone has constructive feedback or something i overlooked on either the pro guide or the competitor tillers let me know. Hoping to make a move for a new boat in the next couple of days.

Some things i would like advice on is OEM accessories (such as protrack or alumatrack or whatever they call it), how the seats compare, motor suggestions.

Thanks for all the help and keep those lines tight

Musky Ed

Had to look up the HP rating on the 1775 Lund pro guide after reading this, as I had a 2016 1775 pro guide, and it was rated for a 90, and thats what I had, would not want it with a 75. Now that you are able to get a Mercury on the Alumacraft, I for sure would go that way. While I really liked my Lund, if it’s a boat you planned on keeping for a long time, I would prefer a one piece welded hull, not a riveted one, though, in my case I have never kept a boat long enough to matter.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

The 16′ and 17′ pro guide models were changed this year. Their layouts are much much worse now IMO. If you look at the pro guides from the last few years you will see that the two had many more similarities than they do now.

175 competitor is a great boat. I use a 2016. Essentially nothing has changed from then to now except the HP rating. 75 Yamaha is on the back and is totally fine, but ALWAYS go with the max HP.

Rod locker storage is great, command console is great, live wells are great. The cooler, however, is unreal! It saves a ton of space in the cockpit area and does a good job of holding ice.

The ladder stays on with wave wackers and is not a problem.

The locks on any boat are more for peace of mind. They keep the honest thieves out, but if someone wants to get inside, it would not be too difficult.

The alumatrack system is also good. No complaints.

The other main differences that I like about the Alumacraft over the Lund is that the gas cap is not in the middle of the boat taking up space and the floor is all one level. The fishing space is incredible in the bow and stern. The competitor has more fishable surface with less obstructions.

sjhauge
    Elgin, MN

The Lund 1775 pro guide took a downsizing in 2020. It’s a much smaller boat than the Competitor for 2020. IMO the floor area of the Lund is tiny.

shockers
    Rochester

I fish a 2009 1675 ProGuide, and prior to buying it looked hard at a Competitor – but couldn’t swing it financially.

I really like my Lund. Mine is 75 hp, and that’s great. Don’t think I’d want a 75 on a 1775, though.

I think you/other posters point out something important: Lund made some changes in later Pro Guide years that I’m not a big fan of. For example, my 2009 1675 has 2 livewells, and an IPS II hull. Newer models have one live well, and not IPS II (far as I can tell), and some other tweaks that seemed to ‘cheapen’ the boat in my eye. That said, I haven’t looked hard at newest models.

Good luck on your purchase.

Beast

I ended up with the Alumacraft Voyageur because I couldn’t swing the competitor.
    Comparing the one I bought to the lund that was similar, I liked the Alumacraft better by allot. and I had no preference going from a bass boat to a tiller aluminum.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.