Lund Fury XL SS throttle trim button/throttle assembly

• Jim blanche

Hi there,

After my swivel seat backrest took out the trim button on my side console Fury Xl throttle handle (I can’t be the first to have this happen), I’m trying to remove the button to fix/replace it. Unfortunately the entire throttle control box looks like it has to be removed from the side of the boat and opened up (I’ve got the throttle handle off, but the button is tightly wired and connected down and into the box). It’s a Mercury control box on a 2017.

So I’m stuck at what should be a the easy part… The three mounting screws that secure the control box to the side of the boat have nuts on the underside of the thin “mounting wall”. Does anyone know how you are supposed to reach these nuts? I may be able to MacGyver a wrench into the tiny access hole enough to just hold the nuts from behind and unscrew the front, but no way will I be able to get them back on…

Is there an easier way to get at the back? I imagine its similar on other models.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Jim

tommybe1

Hope someone answers, I would like to know how also! I was wondering if there are nuts back there or they used sheet metal screws, luckily I haven’t had the need to take it off, but I know someday I will.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Never had mine apart if there is enough room for some extra wire I would consider cutting the wires to the switch replacing switch and re-soldering back together. May have to add a touch longer wire to make this work.

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

Is there a cup holder in the support that it mounts to? Some models you need to remove the cup holder to get access. It’s not much, but usually big enough for your hand/arm to pass through.

travelNFish
    Nebraska

Post a pic, the round plate in the center needs to be pried out, revealing a center nut for the shifter. Once that is undone, the cover plate can come off where the 2-3 mounting screws can be found( usually Phillips 1/4″ bolts) that you remove to get to the interior guts of the shifter. Keep track of which cable is throttle and shift when you put it back.

tommybe1

I had to take mine off, what I found was they used long screws so you could get nuts on them and then tighten them up by keeping pressure on the control box. It also looks like there is 10 phillips screws holding the metal piece that the box is attached to, to the boat. You could remove the screws and see if it comes off. Then you have to get the screws holding the back plate off, mine were to tight to get off with the screwdriver I had out on the water, lol. Anyway I hope this helps, gl

Attachments:
    1. throttle.jpg

Ryley Roy

I did mine the other day. Same boat but 2014. Throttle lever was loose. Mechanic told me the nut in behind needed tightening and some lock tite and suggested I do it myself. The whole mounting box affixed to the boat needs to come off. Half hour job. Remove carbon monoxide warning plate to access a hidden screw or two. I think there was 4 total on top plus another 2 in another spot. See pics (not in order).

Attachments:
    1. 4EA6EE93-738A-4EF2-AB88-5A363EF8E630.jpeg

2. 0B20901C-0AE4-4FE1-A8BA-37F97C42EE86.jpeg

3. 7422D1F1-41B2-438D-9297-FF8A673B96D8.jpeg

4. 505C6686-F10C-482A-9174-0DA22EDEDEFA.jpeg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.