“night mode” on a Lowrance HDS question.

• perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

let me start off by saying i hate any light in the boat at night when running. and the night mode on the HDS has been disappointing.

on my Lowrance H2Oc, when i turn it to night mode, it changes the water and land to contrasting dark colors(can’t remember what they are off the top of my head), which makes it very easy on my eyes at night when running the river.

now, on the HDS, i’m running a split screen with gps and graph. the graph changes to the green/black screen, which is perfect at night. the gps screen however though, just kind of dims, unlike the H2Oc.

i’ve looked in the manual and can’t find anything on it. is there anyway to get it to change to how the H2Oc is?

btw – i’m enabling night mode by pressing the power/light button, and choosing night mode.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Otherthen dimming your lights down I think you have done all you can. I usually dim mine to a 2 while working fish then bump it up a few while running. If you figure it out please post it.

perch_44

i don’t care how bright it is while i’m fishing, i just want it dark and not messing with my eyes while i’m running the boat.

it can be bad enough sometimes trying to avoid timber when running the back channels after dark.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I hear you Peach, (yes that’s a typo )

I leave my sonar on the “green” screen and lower the brightness setting to 2 before traveling.

I think that’s what was said above. Works well for my 10 mile run in the dark.

PS anything above the 5 setting attracts mayflies…big time!

perch_44

Quote:

I hear you Peach, (yes that’s a typo )

I leave my sonar on the “green” screen and lower the brightness setting to 2 before traveling.

I think that’s what was said above. Works well for my 10 mile run in the dark.

PS anything above the 5 setting attracts mayflies…big time!

what do you do about your gps map screen though? or does the rosedial have dark enough colors that it doesn’t matter?

if i didn’t need to use GPS to get home at night, i could care less, but i like using gps, versus running with a spotlight on the entire time.

kroger3
    blaine mn

I’m not sure if I’m following you right? Do you know when you press power/light” you can adjust the brightness from 1-10? I never use night mode so I’m not sure off the top of my head what brightness will do with night mode enabled. But with night mode disabled and brightness at 2 I have no problem running at WOT at night.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I guess I’ve never noticed it as a bother at the setting of 2.

When I was figuring things out I would run the compass rose on one side and the chart on the other (with a depth reading overlayed on the chart). Now that I actually trust the compass rose to follow my route, I have the sonar running on the right.

I hope WOT is less the 25 mph!

perch_44

Quote:

I’m not sure if I’m following you right? Do you know when you press power/light” you can adjust the brightness from 1-10? I never use night mode so I’m not sure off the top of my head what brightness will do with night mode enabled. But with night mode disabled and brightness at 2 I have no problem running at WOT at night.

yes, i set the brightness at 1.

i’m just so used to the night mode on the H2Oc, it is just different is all.

perch_44

Quote:

I hope WOT is less the 25 mph!

last i checked, that is not WOT…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ok, I know I’m old, frail and…well I forget what else, but..

I’ve traveled at 25 mph at night. Even with a light how can a person avoid hitting a log or whatever in the water?

I have done 30 in the dark, but the tornado sirens were going off in Hastings…and we heard them like they were right next to us!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.