LCX27C and transducer ?

• AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Bit of trouble with one of the 27C’s I have and sonar readings

GPS works well on both of them.

After all the updates, chip changes and screwing with the settings I now have the front one that’s tied into my Terrova working well.
    Not so with the back one, it worked welled for maybe a couple months after all the updates/etc and now won’t work in shallow water, that to me is anything less than about 12-15 foot.

Tried the shallow water settings, nope..tried default..nope, nothing seemed to make any difference.

Finally dragged the front unit to the console and hooked it up…nope it just flashes a depth and isn’t reading correctly like the other one.
    I’m thinking transducer. ?

I’m thinking if the unit is just flashing a depth and not a steady read, it’s not reading correctly..right?
    And if both units do this on the same transducer, I need a new transducer..right?

Least that’s the way I read it doing a search on other peoples unit with close to the same problems.

So, assuming the transducer is bad…

Considering these tranducers that come with the unit seem to be prone to failure, I seem to recall a aftermarket transducer that may actually work for more than a year.
    Anybody??

Leaving for Ottertail with the wife on the 12th so I’d like to have the unit running by then.
    TIA

So, what kind and where can I find it is my question?
    TIA

Al

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I’m by no means an expert on electronics, but do you the power leads for the unit, not GPS module, connected directly to the battery?

A lot of problems are the cause of low voltage and these units are very voltage sensitive.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Last time I checked I had 12.5 or .7, but I’ll check the connections again, thanks.

What kind of mimumun voltage/amps is needed ??

Also, wouldn’t that maybe effect the GPS too?

Al

LeonHoule
    Minnesota

I’ve had lots of problems with Lowrance transducers… Changed out three of then in one year… I have 4 units, so I can check the units from one transducer to another to know if they are working correctly.. GOOD LUCK

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Appears there’s a outfit called Airmar that makes a compatible transducer for the 27C, I might just try them, seems the Lowrance one is noted for failing on several of the forums I looked at.

Gonna buy a Humingbird next time…

Al

Ken Sauret
    Paso Robles, California

Lowrance has been working on the transducer issue and has made improvements with the new ones being shipped out. Your process of elimination was the right way to determine the problem, good job.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Lowrance has been working on the transducer issue and has made improvements with the new ones being shipped out. Your process of elimination was the right way to determine the problem, good job.

Thanks Ken, still a bit gunshy, so I might just go with the Airmar unit, but I’ll give it some thought.

Al

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Allen,

Are you having problems with it reading in all depths or just shallow? Mine has been acting up for the last week or so, but it is ding it at all depths and speeds. Mine is a LCX-38C.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Allen,

Are you having problems with it reading in all depths or just shallow? Mine has been acting up for the last week or so, but it is ding it at all depths and speeds. Mine is a LCX-38C.

At first it was just under 10 foot or so, that might have been the shallow water problems and settings, last time out it finally got so it wouldn’t read at any depth, would just flash assorted numbers.

This has been a long battle and I suspect the unit was at fault at first, then the transducer.

The front unit which ran off the Terrova transducer had some problems with shallow water but changing settings and updates seem to cure that.

Al

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

OK..after a bit of a wait I got David on the Lowrance tech line.
    He says these two transducers should be the newer model units.
    Either will work on a LCX27C, not sure for other models though.

Model: HST-WSBL
    PART NUMBER 106-72
    and

Model HST-DFSBL
    Part number 106-77

There are as accurate as I could be, but please check with Lowrance before you buy them or maybe some one on the forum would/could verify these transducers are correct.

Al

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Had a chance to talk to the guys at Thorne Bros and he mentioned the HST-DFSBL was a dual range and that chances are unless I was fishing the great lakes I’d probably never use this feature much if at all, and the HST-WSBL was the one most used around here.

He also mentioned he had several of them in stock.

Thanks to the guys at Thorne.

Al

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Spent a few hours on pool 4 after work yesturday with the new transducer, life is good again.

AP on the Terrova worked fine, not much wind but I’m wondering if the puck from the front unit being so close to both the 27C and the Terrova might have caused problems???

Puck would have bee about 2 foot from the Terrova head where the I pilot sits.

Al

wallieye

I’ve got a 25c doing the same (not working below 15 feet of water). My lcx 17 does just fine on the ducer, but I’m wondering if it still could be the ducer (the 25’s processor is more finicky than the 17’s ?????)

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

I’ve got a 25c doing the same (not working below 15 feet of water). My lcx 17 does just fine on the ducer, but I’m wondering if it still could be the ducer (the 25’s processor is more finicky than the 17’s ?????)

Not sure, mine started with not reading shallow depths but would read deep, say over 12-15 fow.

Maybe be nice if you could try a good transducer and see what happens, but I’m suspecting the unit..
    I have little expertise in troubleshooting these units though, maybe grab a beverage and call Lowrance.

Took me 20 mins to get though last time I called, but once I did they were pretty helpful.

Al

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.