looking at a new locator

• garysignet

I am contemplating getting a new locator/gps and trying to choose between a Lowrance HDS or a Hummingbird with side imaging. Looking for opinions on what you like and dislike about your unit, and would you buy that unit again? Thanks.
    ** also posted on hb forum

outdoor_guy
    Norway,Michigan (In DA UP)

Well……… After being a Lowrance Guy for far more than 20 years, I became dissatisfied with frequent failures, difficulty locking on my 3 different Lowrance GPS’s and hearing many well respected people on this site praise Hummingbird. I Bought a 997csi last year and have been nothing short of amazed. I kept 2 of my Lowrance units on the boat for comparison/back-up. After just a few weeks of running both the HB and Lowrance simutainiously, I turned off the Lowrance and never bothered to turn back on. ( NO COMPARISON)

garysignet

Thank you Frank for your reply. I have been somewhat surprised as I expected to hear good things of each based on loyalty of the unit owned. Lowrance though has taken hits both in quality and service the further I research.

Good fishing to you kind sir.

Jason_N
    St. Cloud, Minnesota, USA

Ditto on what Outdoor Guy said. I will never purchase another lowrance product again…and I take no joy in saying that.

tweak

I”m in the market too. I have two lowrance units now (LCX110 and LCX25) networked together with a fuel flow sensor. I am leaning towards the HDS at this point. I know Lowrance has taken it on the chin, but I can’t help but think they are going to get things right and I personally have never had a problem with one. The down imaging of the Lowrance seems clearier (jmho), I can buy one hds now and use my 110 up front and preserve the network advantages of waypoint sharing. I can see the fuel flow sensor on the HDS where as with the Bird I have to scrap it. When I add a second HDS to the bow in another year I can display the Structure scan info without investing in a second LSS. The HDS8 and 10 can display four screens instead of three if I want. I respect all the positive Humminbird posts, but I am leaning Lowrance and taking a chance. The 2 year warranty makes me feel a bit better along with a good reseller like JollyAnn, Thorne or Reeds.

magnum165
    Baldwin, WI

I just put a HDS 5 on the bow and a HDS 7 on the back. All I can say is WOW! Awesome detail! Today was the first time I have used them but I am very impressed.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Can’t say nothing bad about the high definition display!

I had the HDS-8 out on the water Sat for the first time. Looking good!

Tried out the route from Everts to the dam and it was right on the money.

Now that my screwing around is under the belt, it’s time to start fishing!

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I have a HDS7 in the back as well as the bow of my boat and absolutely love them. They are significantly better than the LCX units of the past. Easy to use, great pic and flawless operation. The only thing I did wrong is I should have purchased a HDS8 and HDS5 instead of the two 7’s.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.