HB vs. Lowrance technology

• ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Looking forward to it, Fishton.

doc samson
    MN

I am looking forward to the article; I am a sucker for knowledge.

acar555
    Omaha, NE

I’m looking forward to it as well. I think a more appropriate term instead of “gap” would be the sonar beams for side imaging are weakest directly under the boat.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Check out the patent infringement post on the HB forum…this one will be interesting. If Lowrance loses, they’re in BIG trouble in my opinion and not just from the lawsuit. They NEED structure scan to compete.

trouter18

Regardless, I think we need to keep an open mind here.

This is some really good information.

Right on!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I think that it will only hurt the consumer if only one company is allowed to use this technology.

FDR

justlikefishing

I am going with HB and for this reason alone. At this time I have 4 Lowrance units and all but one have had problems. When calling Lowrance you can expect a min of 30 min wait time….I have made several calls to HB and the longest time was 5 min and that was around lunch time. I purchased a LCX 38 two yrs ago and it is just now working! The first time it was sent in they kept it for 3 months then deceided to replace it….that one did the same thing right out of the bx. Called them back and ask for another new unit and was told NO that they would work on my problem [it would not allow me to record sonar nor would it recognize any card other than Sandisk] and not all the time with them. Another 3 months and at least 6 calls that I was told it would be shipped today later the unit was shipped back. Works most of the time but not always. Since I fished all last season without it I am not sending it back in….All I can hope for is that it works when I really need it.
    Hello Humminbird…..Goodby Lowrance.

fishton
    South Africa

Quote:

I think a more appropriate term instead of “gap” would be the sonar beams for side imaging are weakest directly under the boat.

I agree with you, but Humminbird themselves say that they only have 84 degrees from the surface down.

mudcatkid
    On water

Regarless of the little arguments, this is all very informative for me. I am looking at purchasing an GPS/imaging unit for work and just began doing my homework to assess the pros and cons of each system.

And for “filling in the gaps” …..perhaps you guys could describe it as “interpolation,” if thats the case. It has a little more of a scientific ring to it.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

This will be tied for years in court unless both Company’s use some common sense and stop feeding the Lawyers all their money.

Patent infringement is one of the more difficult things prove and winning is a very long shot at best for HB.
    The main goal HB has to be getting an Temporary injunction and halting Lowrance selling their units. Doubtful also.

acar555
    Omaha, NE

Quote:

This will be tied for years in court unless both Company’s use some common sense and stop feeding the Lawyers all their money.

Patent infringement is one of the more difficult things prove and winning is a very long shot at best for HB.
    The main goal HB has to be getting an Temporary injunction and halting Lowrance selling their units. Doubtful also.

Why go through the 4 year process to get the patent in the first place if you are’t going to defend it? I think Johnson outdoors (Johnson & Johnson) can afford the lawyers to protect their patents.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I agree.

If they’re fortunate enough to afford to defend their patent, they should do it. A buddy of mine who has sponsored this site has had his patents infringed upon ruthlessly by the people in the fishing industry and is defenseless because of the costs to protect his patents. I like the competition too but if Lowrance truly infringed I hope they get nailed for it.

mojogunter

Johnson & Johnson is a Health Care Products & Pharmaceuticals company. I am pretty sure there are no ties between Johnson Outdoors and Johnson & Johnson

Quote:

Why go through the 4 year process to get the patent in the first place if you are’t going to defend it? I think Johnson outdoors ( Johnson & Johnson ) can afford the lawyers to protect their patents.

acar555
    Omaha, NE

Quote:

Johnson & Johnson is a Health Care Products & Pharmaceuticals company. I am pretty sure there are no ties between Johnson Outdoors and Johnson & Johnson

Quote:

Why go through the 4 year process to get the patent in the first place if you are’t going to defend it? I think Johnson outdoors ( Johnson & Johnson ) can afford the lawyers to protect their patents.

It is the same founder of S.C Johnosn wax not Johnson and Johnson sorry for the mix up

mojogunter

Samuel C. Johnson from SC Johnson did start Johnson outdoors in 1970.

Quote:

It is the same founder of S.C Johnosn wax not Johnson and Johnson sorry for the mix up

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Good data and experiment. I don’t think it’s amazing like the others, that a balloon shows up well because bubbles show up well but the popped balloons are a different story.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.