Insight Genesis

• TripleA
    Blaine

Just an FYI since the true details on this product released by Lowrance are so vague. You can only keep your sonar logs PRIVATE if you purchase the PREMIUM version. I was given a free standard version for a year and just uploaded some sonar logs. It is odd the customer has to pay to provide the company with more product to make them more money…. we will see how they look when they email me the maps.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I guess I wouldn’t mind sharing as long as it saved me sometime on other lakes.

FDR

TripleA
    Blaine

Yup, It doesn’t make a big difference to me, its just the fact the details are very bland on the product. I am happy to have it for free and will map all the “main” lakes I plan on fishing but I can not see why they should charge more than $20 to provide them with better maps to sell to everyone.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Yup, It doesn’t make a big difference to me, its just the fact the details are very bland on the product. I am happy to have it for free and will map all the “main” lakes I plan on fishing but I can not see why they should charge more than $20 to provide them with better maps to sell to everyone.

I agree with your later point.

greghuff
    South Minneapolis, Minnesota

Triple A,

I posted a reply on another thread as well, but in case folks didn’t see that, I’m happy to post here too.

While you are accurate in stating that only the Premium subscription enables you to keep your sonar log uploads private — thus preventing the data in them to be used to update the Genesis Social Map — I think you’ll find that the Social Map has great value to you and your fishing buddies.

For those not familiar with Insight Genesis, it is Lowrance’s custom-mapping service. Essentially, it empowers you to create custom maps of any lake you fish, using sonar data recorded from your own transducer. Insight Genesis Social Map is a community-sourced worldwide database of maps aggregated from public sonar data uploaded to the Genesis site.

So a few fishing buddies or a fishing club, etc, can easily create a map of their favorite lake by working together and using the community-sourcing capability of Social Map. For example, in an hour on the water, the average boater can cover about 100 acres. If 10 people upload an hour of data collection from the weekend a 1,000-acre lake is mapped very quickly. Just think what will happen when 10,000 people are contributing an hour or more per weekend. In Minnesota alone, there’s already hundreds and hundreds of lakes in Social Map.

The best thing about Social Map is that you get all the Social Map data (maps) in the world, even if you only ever just upload sonar data for one lake. And you get it for free. Now, to export one of those maps for use on your boat, you’ll want to get the Premium subscription, but there’s certainly great value to being able to see all those Social Map charts on your computer in order to locate humps, holes, inside turns, underwater points, etc. that do not show up on any other chip maps. Even if you don’t have that map with you on the water, knowing the location of previously un-charted structure will help you locate it with your sonar/down-scan/side-scan/etc.

If you have any additional questions about Genesis, don’t hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Greg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.