No GPS signal

• brian_j

I just bought a used boat that came a Lowrance 520c and LCG3000 puck. The everything on it is working except the GPS will not acquire a signal. I looked at the wiring and it appears to have everything connected. Where do I go from here? Do you need to turn it on in the unit?? maybe a fuse??

Thanks guys

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

If wired correctly there should be a switch for the network to power the antenna.

Aaron

Maybe try looking for a software update for the unit. I could be something with the programming.

briansmude

Are you in a garage? Don’t mean to insult your intelligence but they don’t work in a building, I was stumped for an hour once before I figured that out.

abster71
    crawford county WI

I’m having the same issue but mine is internal I emailed lowrance and they want to know what software version I have. I will be letting them know today, they are very quick to respond back by email. Shoot me a pm so I don’t forget and I’ll let you know what they said.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Do you know anyone that could borrow you a differnet puck to try (preferable a 4000)?
    There’s been problems wiht the old 3000’s.
    Not saying that’s it by any means, but they are really easy to just plug in a different and see if that works.
    Good luck.

brian_j

So the antenna gets power from a seperate wire? Not from the plugs to the unit??

I will try a software upgrade tonight.

I was out on the lake all day and did not get a signal.

I don’t know anyone who has a antenna I could borrow.

handy

Also trouble with 520 for 2 years. Jumped through aallthe hoops with Lowrance but it boils down to a power issue. Awhile back another ido’er posted the simplest answer: Remove power wire from unit 3 minutes then reconnect (red wire nmea 2000). If reboot works, put toggle switch inline on red wire for rebooting. Problem occurs each time main boat power is shut off.
    Finally gave up, needed trustworthy gps for safe, dependable navigation. Put a
    hds 7 gen 2 on console, moved 520 to bow (new power connection) and the 520 hasn’t failed since. Go figure….

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

There are leads coming off the power cable of the unit that
    power the network and therefore the antenna.

The NMEA 2000 leads (red, black, shield) might go to a switch which is recommended.

Previous post on wiring a 520c

brian_j

That makes sense, I put the software update on a chip a couple days ago, was going to dig into this two nights ago, then last night….you know how it goes, didn’t get around to it.

I do have one good excuse, one of the nights I had to drive out to Maple Grove to buy a Terrova with Ipilot.

I will try to dig into this tonight and report back. Thanks guys.

brian_j

Finally got a chance to get under there and see how it was wired and put the software update on.

It is wired correctly (the guy put it to the 12v receptical so the main power switch is inline where Lowrance wants it) and the software update did not help so I guess that just leaves me with a bad antenna. Can anyone else think of another reason why it wouldn’t work?

brian_j

It’s asking me for log in info.

Just thought of another question, is there a way to test the LGC 3000 antenna I have now?

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

http://www.lowrance.com

Click on “Support”

Click on “Knowledge Base” on left

Type in “NMEA 2000 Troubleshooting” and click on search.

Look for the article created May 31, 2012

brian_j

Found it, thanks. I will try that.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Found it, thanks. I will try that.

At least you’ll find out if power is getting to the antenna.

brian_j

Well after weeks of work 10 minutes at a time (I have two young kids) I fixed my problem,
    step one: go on craigslist and search for HDS5
    Step two: meet very attractive 30 something woman to buy said HDS5 because her dad “can’t work a computer to save his life”
    Step 3:list my non working 520c on craiglist for cheap

I’m 95% sure the antenna is bad but it’s $220 for a new one so I decided and HDS5 was the route to go. I’ll probably end up using the 520 for sonar only in a Lowrance ice pack.

Thanks for the help guys

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.