Lowrance elite 4 hdi flasher

• Glynn Plantz

Hi,

I have a Lowrance elite 4 hdi and this season my flasher isn’t quite working, looking for advice.

Glynn

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

What do you mean by not working, flasher doesn’t show? Flasher on but not showing anything?

Glynn Plantz

It seems to show lots of white space and loses my lure.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

You have in auto range mode? My elite 5 doesn’t seem to like to work in auto, adjust depths accordingly. Guess I really don’t use the flasher mode either. Switch to the 2d with split zoom feature, awesomeness. Believe Kieth kav. And Gary Parsons are fans of this way as well. Alot easier reading bottom composition as well.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20161231_114938034.jpg

bassh8er

Not to be that guy, but I had the same issue with mine and bought a Vex. I still use it as an extra flasher for when someone else tags along.

You can mess with sensitivity and switch to graph mode, but that thing is junk if you’re fishing anywhere near weeds.

Ryan P
    Farmington

I’d check a couple things. First…make sure sensitivity and range are set correctly. Next make sure it is set for the right transducer. For example, did you take it out of your boat and this is your first time this season? Third, make sure you are set to 200 kHz.

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

Also check which fishing mode it is in. shallow water, deep water, ice mode…etc.

Through the menu, you can also pick the correct transducer.

Glynn Plantz

Thank you for your time. I have started to use split zoom now. I always had it in ice mode, but also in auto so I will try manual next time out. The picture is from yesterday.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20170115_112341_698.jpg

Glynn Plantz

You have in auto range mode? My elite 5 doesn’t seem to like to work in auto, adjust depths accordingly. Guess I really don’t use the flasher mode either. Switch to the 2d with split zoom feature, awesomeness. Believe Kieth kav. And Gary Parsons are fans of this way as well. Alot easier reading bottom composition as well.

What setting do you use other then split zoom?

Ryan P
    Farmington

2d Split Zoom is awesome but I also like doing dual frequency. I can set up a jigging rod in the small cone and a dead stick in the other and watch them both from the same hole. Learning to use my Elite-5 to its full potential I think I’d get bored with a regular flasher.

Glynn Plantz

2d Split Zoom is awesome but I also like doing dual frequency. I can set up a jigging rod in the small cone and a dead stick in the other and watch them both from the same hole. Learning to use my Elite-5 to its full potential I think I’d get bored with a regular flasher.

Any recommendations for settings?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Ryan, the ice transducer that came with the Lowrance pack only has the 200khz. Are you saying you get 2 sonar angles? That would be sweet, I know the open water capabilities are greater than that of ice.

For the most part I can see my deadstick weight and minnow as well, unless it’s shallower than 15’ish, cone gets a bit small.

All I use is split at this point. Was thinking of toying around with the flasher for faster response times, but have had plenty of fish fly up and hammer the bait and never thought man wish that screen was quicker. Watching your minnow head fall off on screen, grabbing a sandwich then seeing a fish on screen history that I would’ve completely missed on a flasher is cats ass for me. One point I was experimenting with a sucker on plain hooks with a pretty big leash from the weight and watched it swim up and get tangled on the line. Lesson learned, but the idea of flashers is so archaic it to me baffles how many people use em. I didn’t judge last year BC I just got into ice, but after quite a bit of experience now it’s still baffling.

Glynn Plantz

Have any of you used the amplitude scope?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My sensitivity goes from 62-82% any given waters. Depends on clarity for the most part. Colorline I think is around 64? Setting is fresh water, manual settings, manual depth. Elite 4 may differ, so use your own judgement.

First couple times using mine didn’t figure stuff out thoroughly and had very frustrating times. It’s tough to put down the rod but do it, well worth it.

Glynn Plantz

My sensitivity goes from 62-82% any given waters. Depends on clarity for the most part. Colorline I think is around 64? Setting is fresh water, manual settings, manual depth. Elite 4 may differ, so use your own judgement.

First couple times using mine didn’t figure stuff out thoroughly and had very frustrating times. It’s tough to put down the rod but do it, well worth it.

Why freshwater over ice mode?

Ryan P
    Farmington

Yes you can run two frequencies at a time. The ice transducer runs both 83 and 200, or a 60 and 20 degree cone on a slit screen. Totally cool if you ask me. Check out these pics.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0552-1.jpg

2. IMG_0551-2.jpg

3. IMG_0552.jpg

4. IMG_0551-1.jpg

Ryan P
    Farmington

Haha not sure why I attached the pics twice….oops.

Ryan P
    Farmington

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan P wrote:</div>

Any recommendations for settings?

As for specific settings I change it from time to time. Sensitivity changes every time I’m on the ice depending on water clarity, and I think the amount of people around running sonar. Mine is in ice mode. I’d just play with it and see what you like. I’ve used every color option on there. I do use the amplitude scope, but I think the flasher is worthless.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Ryan I’d like to know which transducer you have. All my research has concluded the ice ducer with the blue connectors has only the 200. Sure I can pull up the 83 on screen but it gives me nothing. Would be awesome if I could get both frequency. FWIW I have the pti-wbl ducer picked on unit. Thanks.

Edit: also like to know which battery you’re getting in your pack to get 13.4 volts! Thatd be awesome again.

Ryan P
    Farmington

Ryan I’d like to know which transducer you have. All my research has concluded the ice ducer with the blue connectors has only the 200. Sure I can pull up the 83 on screen but it gives me nothing. Would be awesome if I could get both frequency. FWIW I have the pti-wbl ducer picked on unit. Thanks.

Edit: also like to know which battery you’re getting in your pack to get 13.4 volts! Thatd be awesome again.

Well I just took it off the charger, probably why it was at 13.4. The transducer came with the ice pack I purchased for it. I currently have it set to PTI-WBL / PTI-WSU. I did research before buying and saw that it operates on both frequencies. I’ll try to find it. I know it works. You can always see a fish on the wide come first. Also if I set up a camera I can often see the camera on the wide cone but not the 20 if the camera hole is a ways away.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.