Lower unit skeg repair.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I picked up John’s buddies boat over the weekend that insurance totaled after the accident. I am in the process of bringing it back to life so it can see water once again. The trailer is in better then new condition, had to cut the tongue off and weld a hoke new one on, just need to paint it. the keel and hull will be welded today after work, then sand and paint those 2 spots, and then I have to get the skeg and what ever this other fin is called on front side of motor which is still on the lu. I’m not sure if it’s considered part of the cavitation plate or what it may be called. But I’m looking for a shop in the north metro preferably. Marks prop shop in Stacy is no longer around so I don’t know where to go. And has any one had this repair done before ? Ball park price ? I’m not sure if country view does these kind of repairs or not. I will be calling them today.

Attachments:
    1. 20240721_172416-1-scaled.jpg

2. 20240721_172412-1-scaled.jpg

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Three Lakes Enterprises in New Richmond WI might be able to help you out.

Paulski

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Hows the prop? Before getting to carried away make sure the prop shaft is still tru and there is no internal damage there.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hows the prop? Before getting to carried away make sure the prop shaft is still tru and there is no internal damage there.

Props great, already inspected gears, they all look great. Crank shaft feels great. Fired it up and shifted great, no vibration of any form.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Does prop MD do skeg repairs ? I just called the specialty welding shop that used to be marks prop shop and confirmed they do not do boats any more.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Give Frankies a call 651-257-6334 they should be able to recommend somebody.

10klakes

Forumla propeller is recommended for props and lower unit work. Main office is in Maple grove but the repair shop is by Corcoran. Not really north metro I realize.

mojo

I can 2nd Three Lakes Enterprises between Hudson and New Richmond. John Shirley has been doing prop and skeg repair for nearly 50 years. One man shop (currently training his granddaughter to take over someday,) he does very solid work, quick turnaround, and nobody will beat his prices. He can be a crotchety old man, and will talk forever if you let him, but after nearly 50 years he has earned the right I guess – whatever you do, don’t get him started on politics or taxes doah

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Marks prop shop in Stacy is no longer around so I don’t know where to go.

Glad your on the way to getting it back up and running. You mentioned Marks prop shop. Did he move it down to Blaine? For years there has been a prop/skeg shop across from the old Johns Auto Parts on 105th. When I googled it, it came up as Marks. I have had a couple props done there, never had to have a skeg done.

3Rivers

With that much damage, I would consider getting a donor lower unit case and swapping internals.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

There is a Marks welding by my house they do this work

Attachments:
    1. marks.jpg

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Does prop MD do skeg repairs ? I just called the specialty welding shop that used to be marks prop shop and confirmed they do not do boats any more.

Prop MD repaired/replaced my skeg. It was just about as bad as yours.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

With that much damage, I would consider getting a donor lower unit case and swapping internals.

Marks told me 350 bucks said and done. Frankie’s told me a 800 plus. Mark told me I didn’t have to pull my lu so he will be getting the boat later this week.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Glad your on the way to getting it back up and running. You mentioned Marks prop shop. Did he move it down to Blaine? For years there has been a prop/skeg shop across from the old Johns Auto Parts on 105th. When I googled it, it came up as Marks. I have had a couple props done there, never had to have a skeg done.
    [/quote]

I’m not sure if that’s the same guy or not. The shop in Stacy is still a welding shop so I wasn’t sure if it’s still mark and he quit working on boats or if he moved. But the Blaine mark said he will get me in and out for 350 bucks. Both skag and cavitation plate.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’m not sure if that’s the same guy or not. The shop in Stacy is still a welding shop so I wasn’t sure if it’s still mark and he quit working on boats or if he moved. But the Blaine mark said he will get me in and out for 350 bucks. Both skag and cavitation plate.

Sweet! When your done we should get together for a beer on that thing, since poor Al never got to.

gimp

I would run it as it is as long as no oil leaking the parts that are broken will not hurt anything.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I would run it as it is as long as no oil leaking the parts that are broken will not hurt anything.

Ron will probably run it a year and flip it. It’s a fix it now or fix it later kinda deal.

mojogunter

I had Mark in Blaine fix a skeg on my yamaha 225 several years ago. You are in good hands. He did a great job fixing mine. It was almost broken completely off.

[/quote]

Pat K
    Empire, MN

A friend of mine that passed away a couple years ago was a specialty welder that repaired lower units, skegs and cavitation plates for about a dozen different shops. There is a good chance Frankie’s would have sent it to the same shop you had repair it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Sweet! When your done we should get together for a beer on that thing, since poor Al never got to.

Yup I told al the same thing. This thing should be water ready in 2 weeks and I’ll take you guys out. Maybe a fall smallie trip on the big pond.
    It’s pretty much water ready now besides the skeg and I need to rig some electronics.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yup I told al the same thing. This thing should be water ready in 2 weeks and I’ll take you guys out. Maybe a fall smallie trip on the big pond.
    It’s pretty much water ready now besides the skeg and I need to rig some electronics.

Sounds good to me! waytogo

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.