LOTW-Best time of year to fish the southern end and areas of it for walleye

• davejackson
    NULL

My family/brothers and our sons are planning to go to LOTW this summer. Some are experienced fisherman,some are not. Wanting info as to best time in summer to go and area on the southern end of the lake.wanting good walleye fishing as well as smallies,northern.All suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Depends on how far you are willing to go off shore. If you want to stick closer to the south shore then you should go early, May or early June.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Agreed w/ Lindy earlier in the year, especially if bringing your own boat. Good chance wind will keep you closer to shore or in the river at least a day or two, and the river would be the best bet for northern and smallies too I believe.

grizzly
    nebraska

Was there last year and the best part of June was still great fishing on south shore but guys said they stayed around the south shore a little later last year

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

What type of boat do you have and what type of fishing do you like to do?

Smallie fishing on the main lake on the south side isn’t much of a thing I don’t think. We’ve caught a couple trolling shallow, but haven’t heard of too many people doing that purposefully.

After ice out/post spawn I think IDO did a pike fishing trip out of Warroad a few seasons ago that looked really fun.

Walleye fishing early in the season will be more jig fishing off reefs/twin islands. Once you get into later June/July they’ll be out in the mud and most people pull spinners or downriggers.

I’d say earlier in the season is a better bet, could jig fish walleyes, maybe try to hit warroad or the river for northern. But be prepared, it may be cold and regardless of what time of year it is, if the wind is blowing out of the north you’ll be driving to the river, especially if your boat isn’t huge or your group gets seasick easily. If you don’t have experience on the lake, don’t underestimate how dangerous it can get out there. There is nowhere to hide out there.

We fish out of Rocky Point, and there have been many trips up there where we just can’t fish because the lake is too rough.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.