Looking to step up my Blade Bait game..help.

• Scott Estes

I’m looking to step up my blade bait game this fall. Any tips or tricks that you have learned that have helped you master this technique?

Scott Estes

Thank you…I many be slow but I can’t seem to find the search function for this site. I see a search button in the upper right side of the screen but it seems to search the web and the forum. I’m going to check out your bookmark. Thanks again.

Scott Estes

I guess I should have stated where and when I was intending to use blade baits. I fish the Columbia River during the fall/ winter. No ICE here. Water can be extremely clear and fish can be found in 30-100 ft.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I guess I should have stated where and when I was intending to use blade baits. I fish the Columbia River during the fall/ winter. No ICE here. Water can be extremely clear and fish can be found in 30-100 ft.

I use them year round regardless of open water, hard top water, stained water, clear, moving, or just about any other condition. Once you get the hang of blade presentations, you don’t need much more

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I put blades in the same category as jiggin raps and rippin raps. Whenever I use them I donate them to the river. Guys that get the hang of them out big fish in the boat though. I’m going to read these posts and try to get more effective at using them.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

After reading Randys and Deans post you will find is most people work bladebaits way to fast, and rod makes a huge difference having that medium extra fast tip for me is important I fish Bladea all year long many times I will be pitching a Bladebait before a jig.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Less is more , less is more, did I mention less is more ? :]

I encourage you to always have one at the ready in the boat, and make it part of your rotation every pitching spot you fish. Dont expect it to be a one trick pony, but fall,is a great time to start !!!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

You guys prefer fast or xf tips for rods?

Articles have preferences but maybe they got refined grin

Dean Marshall

great question, however just because a rod has a label that says it is a fast or xfast tip really doent mean that is what it is.

1/4 oz and less weight blades casting, the 6’9″ mlxf st croix action equivelent is my favorite.

For the 1/2 oz stuff deeper water is a different animal. Generally, any quality 6’6 or 7ft’ med fastworks well. I personally like the the 6’8’mxf is solid.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good to know thanks.

If I could ask one more…. with a blade seeming to be more of a reaction type bait, do you feel changing colors often gives a better chance of hooking up similar to jig/plastic combos? Or it’s not as much finding the flavor of the day/hour as just being in the right spot when they move through?

Scott Estes

My buddy told me once, “choose a technique and master it.” I’m going to try and perfect my blade bait game this fall/winter. That’s my goal! Time to get rigged up.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Good to know thanks.

If I could ask one more…. with a blade seeming to be more of a reaction type bait, do you feel changing colors often gives a better chance of hooking up similar to jig/plastic combos? Or it’s not as much finding the flavor of the day/hour as just being in the right spot when they move through?

My guess on this would be generally no unless the water is really clear. I have a buddy that just buys the unpainted blanks and adds hooks and he does really well in all conditions.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My guess

I could guess on alot of stuff too but usually don’t. wave
    Deleted due to crabby pattys

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>

great question, however just because a rod has a label that says it is a fast or xfast tip really doent mean that is what it is.

1/4 oz and less weight blades casting, the 6’9″ mlxf st croix action equivelent is my favorite.

For the 1/2 oz stuff deeper water is a different animal. Generally, any quality 6’6 or 7ft’ med fastworks well. I personally like the the 6’8’mxf is solid.

So very true!

Additionally, use braid. Dirty/stained water I go straight braid to a snap. For super clear water, I like braid to a barrel, a 24″ of mono, then a snap

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Lots of stuff on You Tube also. Let us know how it goes for you.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    My guess

My new guess is that you need a hug. Come on over and get one.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Generous offer Matt but I just really need some fatties to hold.

Dean Marshall

Good to know thanks.

Color
    I answer this specifically to Pool4 and NOT lakes in general.And yes, there is a preference day to day in my experience.

3 colors
    something dark
    something bright
    Gold

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>
    Good to know thanks.

Color
    I answer this specifically to Pool4 and NOT lakes in general.And yes, there is a preference day to day in my experience.

3 colors
    something dark
    something bright
    Gold

Much thanks.

Now to find that trumar guy onlin e… waytogo

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Color

3 colors
    something dark
    something bright
    Gold

Just my opinion….and it mirrors Dean’s

And yes, there is a preference day to day – hour to hour – and can still change
    something dark = purple or black
    something bright = Hot pink/blaze orange, white….
    Gold = I prefer gold /in a two tone gold/blue or gold /green

Probably the most different preference that Dean & I have is size. Dean uses a crap load of 1/4oz, I use a ton of 1/2oz. I have days where the larger or the smaller profile makes a huge difference. For me, most often the larger size produces better. Obviously Dean catches more on the smaller profile.

One other notable thing. I run all Gamakatsu hooks on my blades. I like the #10 round bend on the small profile and the #6 EWG on the 1/2 & 3/4oz. Keep them off the bottom and learn how to read your electronics.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4580.jpg

2. DSCN5488-1024x768.jpg

3. DSCN5483-1024x768.jpg

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Deans info is spot on and can testify to the blade style I sell.

See post below !

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Color
    I answer this specifically to Pool 4 and NOT lakes in general.And yes, there is a preference day to day in my experience.

3 colors
    something dark
    something bright
    Gold

http://www.skeeterboatcenter.com 763-450-0571

@nhamm..you still have time to get this deal..To celebrate our 200th like on Face Book we are running a sale on blades.

Hurry before sale ends!!

https://trutiedtacklellc.com/shop?olsPage=t%2Fblade-baits-1-per-pack

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    My guess

No idea how a “Brannigan” can surface from a discussion about blade baits? tongue

Meanwhile…last time I used a blade bait was the big 8″ Shumway Fuzzy Duzzit 30 years ago for muskie on deep clear Presque Isle lake in Vilas Cty. WI. (See below)

So…I’m taking your offer on the Tru-Tied blade baits Jeff. Nice little discount, having learned some things about them from this thread…think I’ll try some this winter.

Placing order now. smile

Attachments:
    1. fuzzy-duzzit.jpg

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Not to step on anyone’s toes selling blades on the site but here is another great option for some great blades and some great colors. I’ve seen them work but I haven’t practiced enough yet to catch as many as some the guys that use them.

Curt’s Custom Blades

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

@ 85lund, If we all drove Chevy’s I most likely never would have been a mechanic for the past 36 years…God bless the other brands !

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

@ 85lund, If we all drove Chevy’s I most likely never would have been a mechanic for the past 36 years…God bless the other brands !

Yes…the other brands, other than a Chevy. This is what I drove in high school…

Attachments:
    1. PLYMOUTH-ROAD-RUNNER.jpg

Scott Estes

This info is amazing!!!!! And you all have been a great help. Thank you. Next Question…Trebles on split rings? or the trebles/doubles that spread apart to install?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

This info is amazing!!!!! And you all have been a great help. Thank you. Next Question…Trebles on split rings? or the trebles/doubles that spread apart to install?

Trebles that spread apart work much better less problem with the trebles fowling on the line or bait itself.

Now I have a question for all the years I have fished Blades has anyone found a situation where the bite was better using any of the line tie holes besides the center one? I have played with this a bit and always come back to the center hole.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Scott Estes wrote:</div>

Trebles that spread apart work much better less problem with the trebles fowling on the line or bait itself.

Now I have a question for all the years I have fished Blades has anyone found a situation where the bite was better using any of the line tie holes besides the center one? I have played with this a bit and always come back to the center hole.

DEFINITELY USE SPLIT SHANK TREBLE HOOKS,making sure the split is NOT spread apart when done with install of the hook.. a very light squeeze with pliers will work to close gap if necessary..

As far as which line/clip hole I am no help for my blades only have one line/clip hole, but always heard the center hole is best for action …

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.