Looking for a smelt fry

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Hey Hey Hey,

Have always heard about smelt fry’s, but have never been. If anyone knows of one please let me know. Within an hour of Lakeville preferred, but if I have to go farther I will.

Thanks buddy!

buck-slayer

Grew up on SE Wisconsin Wednesday night smelt fry during lent. Back in late 70s I think its was $2 all you could eat.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

haven’t seen one since i’ve been a kid. We used to go smelting every spring. Dipping nets full. We would bring a horse water trough full home and the local bar would put on the smelt fry. A full net of smelt was HEAVY for a kid. lol

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Still a couple around here but the smelt look like small shiners.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Keep an eye open on fire department’s, bars, vfws during netting season..

Would love going back 50yrs & feasting on the excelsior fire department’s smelt frys.. Grandpa was the fire chief for 30yrs & the guys would bring back 55 gallon garbage cans full of smelt, I cleaned them til my hands were raw, beyond good.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The fire department here in town has one every year. I honestly have never had smelt but I really want to try

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Hot off the grill is best.lol

Attachments:
    1. 1A9E4DE8-180E-4049-94CC-56F6945A10DD.jpeg

matthewkolden

Brooklyn Park does one ever year. April, I believe. It’s at the City Hall building. I haven’t missed it in probably 12 years. Unfortunately, the smelt are small these days. But, the portions are generous.

buck-slayer

Friend of mine owned a restaurant near Campbellsport WI and he would debone his smelt. He would sit in front of TV with a 5 gallon bucket and take the bones out.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I spend many days as a child knee deep in a river with a dip net loading up garbage cans full of smelt. It’s sad that the days of the great smelt runs don’t seem to happen much anymore. Even though I caught and cleaned a ton of then, I was not a big fan of eating them. Where I grew up most all the older folks loved them so never had any problem to find someone willing to take them. I often got baked goods in trade for them. I remember the baked goods tasting much better than the smelt !!!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

More than an hour away, but Darwin is an option. Last year was good, but lately they’ve struggled to get sizeable smelt and enough of them.

Attachments:
    1. Darwin-Smelt.jpg

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Still running and gunning with the young crowd to get smelt every year. Actually I just show up and pick them out of the net for them! I get 6 gallons a year and gift most of them away. I also have a smelt fry every year at my campsite.

I do know that Braham fire department has a smelt fry every year! Hope it helps.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I grew up in Michigan when smelt still ruled. Smelt fry’s during lent were at many catholic churches. We dipped our own or easily knew where to buy them. When someone hit it big they called their friends to come and get some. Cleaning them you were the scissor man or a gutter.
    My aunt from Arizona visited once when we had smelt and she tried cutting the meat off with a knife and fork. We all laughed about that the rest of our lives!
    I miss that spring ritual A LOT! I hope I get to eat some this year.

duh queen

Still running and gunning with the young crowd to get smelt every year. Actually I just show up and pick them out of the net for them! I get 6 gallons a year and gift most of them away. I also have a smelt fry every year at my campsite.

I do know that Braham fire department has a smelt fry every year! Hope it helps.

I guess they call that how to win enemies and influence friends. Having grown up in Duluth, I never understood why folks were so enamored with smelt when steelhead, walleye and crappie were so readily available. We used to gather a bucket or so every year to use a fertilizer, and that was it.

Leo Dogg

Baldwin Wi fire department had one every year. Usually the last Friday in April.

They haven’t had one for the last two years.

But, they are back on for April 29th this year.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

@Dee J Anders
    I love eating them! I only take what I know can be used by family and friends. Its is a awesome time at the campsite. All the even older guys love eating them and telling stories. We also get plenty of the good stuff. (Walley, Crappie).

Ive been on the shore and watched a group gather exactly a ice cream pail full. They walk up cook them with a small group of guys and leave. Its a tradition for them.

All good!
    Shannon

duh queen

Hey, I get it. It’s more than just a meal, it’s the entire social thing that goes along with it. Maybe my problem was never having drunk enough beer before starting. frown
    …..and when I eat fish, I EAT FISH! No bones are allowed in my meal.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.