Long Time Fisherman/ New to ice fishing.

• skuman777

Hello,

Thanks to James and company after 40 years of fishing. I’ve decided to take up ice fishing. I currently live in IL and in the spring I will be buying some property in MN. The property will be used for vacations / fishing trips with the intent on retiring there when the time comes. I need some help in deciding what ice gear to buy. I want to do it right , and I’m trying the get the most for my money.

1 LX7 vs Lx6- other than the screen size and price they are virtually the same correct?

2. LX9 – I really like this unit when I watch the video on it and it seems like its all I would need for every situation. Would like some feedback from people who have it. Is it worth the money?

3. Trying to keep the price down. I would be fishing with my son most times. For now can I use any of the Marcum units I’ve mentioned for 2 holes. I cant really afford to buy 2 units right now.

4. Otter Houses- Struggling between getting the Xt650 lodge or cabin. Or the Xt1200 Lodge or cabin. Is the full thermal crucial or can I save a few bucks getting the Xt650 and still be comfortable and warm?

Sorry for all the questions , but I want to do it right. Thank you James and company for what you do. I’ve been bitten by the ice fishing bug because of your show.

Looking to buy property somewhere in central to North central MN. Trying to keep it 8 to 9hrs from my house. I’ve fished Millie Lacs in both open and hard water with limited success. Any opinions on lakes are welcome. I fish for all species out of a Lund Pro V. Thanks in advance for any replies.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Ice is overrated. Send me a PM mid winter and come catch 16-20″ Smallies on the river, open water. Mn has got more than 6″ holes to stare in to.

I could bring my 6yr old, she came with me once last year and dad took a wrong turn in the woods, had to stop for a jerky break.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20140202_150035_163.jpg

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Skuman, you’re going to kick yourself for waiting so long to start, but you’re at least starting in the right place.
    The LX6 and 7 have a few differences outside of screen size, the biggest difference being you can basically upgrade the 7 into a 9, while you cannot do that on the 6. If you are going to spend most of your ice time in your otter, get the 7.
    Marcum is soon releasing the RT 9 if you want something that can monitor 2 holes separately, this is the only unit that can… It also has a million other features above and beyond the lx9, it would be worth looking into.
    All I have to say about the Otters is that the 1200 is twice as thick as the 650, it will block out more wind and hold in heat better. I am personally more than comfortable in a 650, but then again I am rarely in a shelter, so my opinion isn’t worth much.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

My advice would be to buy the LX7 and go full thermal with the 1200. You will never regret having the extra insulation.

scmelik
    South Dakota

my suggestions…RUN!!!! far far away from the ice fishing world, don’t think about it for another second. Its as addicting as crack and a money grabbing, time wasting, finger freezing hobby HAHA.

I do not have any experience with the otters or the marcum units….yet so I will leave those questions alone.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Skuman777, welcome to the unsane world of hard water fishing. Not to say I don’t enjoy fishing out of the boat, I don’t think pin point fishing thru a hole in the ice can be beet. JMO. I will defiantly say it isn’t cheap if you are going to go with the Cadillac of products.

I personally like the MarCum brand and it’s support, You are going to have to figure out the price range you can afford. I have the LX-7 and not one bit sorry of my purchase. I still have the ability to upgrade to the LX-9. As far as the new unit I have not given it a look internally so I don’t know what I’m missing.

As far as shelter go with the thermal (it’s better to have more than you need than not have enough). In time you will make up the difference in cost on how the propane end.

To say it is an addiction is a under statement. It’s a frame of mind many do not understand and that’s OK. Welcome to my world, IceAsylum.

Attachments:
    1. DSC02622.jpg

2. 2014-03-26_13-02-11_773.jpg

3. 2014-02-13_10-10-12_66.jpg

4. 2013-12-17_15-24-04_7921.jpg

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Welcome to IDO and welcome to the sport of ice fishing… For now I’ll just leave it with telling you that you’ve definitely come to the right place to learn about ice fishing as the knowledge base of the members here is simply incredible! In regards to further info I just wanted to say hello for now since I’ve got limited service out at our farm, but I’ll jump a back in and with anything I can add once I get back to civilization next week.

Will

skuman777

Ok… So the Otter XT1200 Lodge Full Thermal with cover and Hyfax is on the way. I could really use some good input on electronics. Also a good hand held GPS.

AaronMoore

I love my vex fl20, I did try a marcum (LX3) did like it at all. My father-in-law has a hummingbird ice 45, he loves his. Also my friend has a showdown which he loves. So what I’m trying to say is go to a store and try many of them out as possible, or ask friends. Find one you like as they aren’t cheep. One thing for sure any fish finder is better than fishing blind. Good luck in your new adventure and try no to spend too much ;) Tight lines

Brad Anderson
    Minnesota

Good luck in your new adventure and try no to spend too much ;) Tight lines

I don’t think it’s possible to get into serious ice fishing without breaking the bank lol

joc
    Western and Central, NY

What happened to a couple of short cheap rods, a bucket to sit on, ice scooper, auger and a tent-selter can’t get much simpler ad cheaper

Mocha
    Park Rapids

How old is your son? These newer full thermals are not exactly light if you are loading in the back of a pick up by your self. Just something to think about.

As far as electronics…. I am a Vexilar fan. I have had two FL8s’ 2 FL18s and also a FL20. Loved them all and “O” issues over I can’t tell you how many years. Bullet proof. The FL18 is the best bang for your buck and has the bottom zoom which I really like but the FL8’s will get you going at a lower cost. The FL20 is nice cause it has a flat screen and is easier to reed at an angle. I just put on a digital debt reader for my FL20 last year and really like the option. I don’t think you can go wrong with either Vexilar or Marcom.

GPS, what do you have on your boat? I take my HDS7 off the boat and use it portable for my ice fishing GPS. I also use a Navonics app on my iPhone.

Have fun!

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I see “cranky troller” has a FL20 for sale on this site as we speak. Great deal IMHO

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I didn’t ice fish very much at all when I was younger. I just finally got into it about 10 years ago. At first, I thought “hey this is fun!”. But as each year passes I find myself hoping for earlier springs and later falls. I truly don’t understand how people can actually PREFER ice fishing to open water. I just don’t get it. At any rate, don’t be fooled into thinking you need the latest and greatest to enjoy the sport. As with anything else a good rule of thumb is to stick to the middle. Don’t go cheap and don’t buy the most expensive. You will usually get the best bang for your buck in the mid range. Also don’t be sucked into the brand loyalty thing. Most major mfg’s in the ice fishing game make good products, and contrary to what most of them will try to tell you, there IS an incentive for staff members to recommend the logo on their jersey

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Looks like you are all set with your shack, good choice! One option for electronics might be to go with something like an LX-5. They aren’t digital, but they are very durable and they work great. There are undoubtedly some cool features on the LX-7, but for someone new to ice fishing the LX-5 is very approachable and it will help you catch fish.

You can find them in good used shape for ~$300-$350, which means you could get two for the price of a new LX-7.

I can tell you from experience, once your son uses your LX-7, you will be in the market for another flasher unless you like fishing without one :). So if you spend your entire budget on one flasher, you might be reaching into the old savings account sooner rather than later for another one.

Honestly, in your position, that’s what I’d do. I use an LX-5 and have had 0 complaints, I’ve fished next to my buddy and his LX-7 and haven’t felt that I was at a substantial disadvantage.

If after your first year you think you need to upgrade then it’s no issue, put your LX-5 on craigslist in December and you’ll be able to sell it for the same price you paid, +/- $25.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I agree with the LX5 as well.. that unit will do just about everything the digital locators will to catch you fish . From fishing shallow in the backwaters of the Mississippi River to the 20-40 foot depth of the northern lakes..

Also what I have found with most dads taking their kids out(even in their teens) that if the kids stay interested they will never leave the hole.. So with the introduction to the fishing if the flasher keeps them occupied, wait till you see the excitement from an underwater camera !!!

It was said above that how can you get into ice fishing without breaking the bank..But year by year you can keep adding one or two more items to the list..

Have fun and among all other things.. Be Safe !!

The Tug is the Drug !!!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’ll leave the electronics debate alone and touch on your shelter question.

650 vs 1200. I’m warm in my non-insulated Frabill for almost all weather. Any insulation is a bonus. It’s down to weight and cost in my book

Lodge vs Cabin – take a real good look at size and weight. What fits in your vehicle and what doesn’t? Can you handle a 1200 lodge by yourself? Unless you really need the extra space take a hard look at the Cabin.

The idea is to remain portable. If something is hard to deal with in the cold then you won’t. If you’re not on the fish it needs to be easy to move to go find them.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Forget any fancy plastic runners for your new sled…Build a smitty sled. You’ll save a ton of time and energy.

Gas Auger
    Basic Depth Finder
    GPS
    Rods/Reels combos under $100
    Your overspending on a ice house IMO
    Ice fishing suit if you don’t already have one.

Save some $$ for buying lures and fishing trips.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I will echo exactly what others have said above.

For someone who is just getting in the game and depending on what you can afford I would look at trying to stay somewhere in the middle in order to get as many bases covered as possible. I personally fish with an LX-7 and feel that it does help me put more fish on the ice but I also have an LX-5 that I keep in case someone I’m fishing with needs to borrow it… If your choice comes down to having a single LX-7 or buying two LX-3/5’s for instance I would choose to have 2 of the mid-range unit versus one of the best. Same advice for the shelter… I prefer the 1200 full thermal Otter because it is better on those super cold 20 below days that we became all to familiar with last winter, but if it came down to where getting the 650 allowed me to have the 2nd flasher or even picking up a couple extra/custom rods I would choose having the 650 and more gear every time. That said, the 650 is still warmer than 99% of the competitors.

The GPS I have is a Lowrance handheld that works great, but with the technology in smart phones right now you could save quite a bit of money here just by starting out with the Navionics app for about $10.

Hope that helps.
    Will

patk
    Nisswa, MN

X2 on Will’s last update. If money is not endless he’s absolutely spot on!

I jumped in to the ice fishing game 5 years ago. Pretty easy start, two inexpensive rods, used portable, auger, and a used FL12.

Over time I’ve added a custom rod and a second flasher(FL22). Having the second flasher has put more fish on the ice than any other addition. Having a spare when you have someone new is awesome.

Way better money spent than upgrading my shelter. and yes, I’ve been eyeing the same Otter cabin shelters for the last couple years.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

And pretty soon you have so much stuff you need a horse to pull it out.

Attachments:
    1. full-26433-40390-camerazoom_201312151340453001.jpg

skuman777

Thanks to everyone for their reply’s. All were valid and sensible. I’ve learned the hard way over the years that if you do things cheap especially when your trying something out. It may ruin the experience and make you run in the other direction. Boats are a perfect example of that. I went through 2 cheap boats before I just realized I need to spend the money and do it right. I want to point out that I’m not a stranger to ice fishing. Just never had my own gear. I’ve been on a few trips with friends etc…..The other thing I wanted to say was. I just had a battle with cancer last year in which I won. So I’m doing what I want, how I want from this point on. I love to fish and spend time with my 14yr old boy. Time is short fellas make it count!
    This is what I ended up getting. Thanks again for the input.

Otter XT1200 Lodge (Hyfax + Travel cover)
    LX7
    LX6
    Strikemaster 8″ Lazer Mag

I have a couple of ice rods and a hand full of tackle. Like I said I will be buying some property in MN in the spring close to a good body of water. Not sure where yet. Its my dream… and I’m going for it.

Will be taking a hard water trip this winter to test out new gear and maybe scout some property. Thanks again and any tips on lakes , tackle, etc are welcome. See you in the ice.

skuman777

Oh…. Already had the nav app on my IPhone. Ill try that this year and see how it works out.

Brad Anderson
    Minnesota

In regards to doing things the cheap way, I found myself that when I get into something that I know is gonna stick, buy the best the first time or you’ll end up buying twice. Only do that if your serious though. The flasher though, I’m gonna say will is spot on with his advice, they will all do the job and one is better than none, and two with a friend who doesn’t have his own just brightens the whole experience.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Otter XT1200 Lodge (Hyfax + Travel cover)
    LX7
    LX6
    Strikemaster 8″ Lazer Mag

You’re going to be very VERY happy with all of those purchases… Pretty much exactly what have except my 2nd graph is an LX-5.

Congratulations on winning the battle with cancer. We went through that a couple years back with my dad and it definitely changes your perspective. Feel free to drop me a line when you’re heading up to MN and I’d be happy to help if I can.

Will

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I have two lake lots on Upper Mission Lake that I am about to sell. It is one of the finest fishing lakes in the area. Clear beautiful lake that is mostly undeveloped. Gary Roach has his cabin about half mile down the road. Big bluegills and crappies. Walleyes, Largmouth, and some huge Pike. It is by Crosby MN. You would have access to 50 lakes within a 25 mile radius. There are homes on each sides of the lots. Two lots 1.6 acres each. Sand shore. 150 ft lakefront each. Lots are on ridgewood dr. at the end of the road. We would take a reasonable offer on one or both.

I grew up fishing in the Crosby/Merrifield area, as my grandparents used to have a cabin on Lake Edward and can attest it is a good fishery with many options! Crosby itself is a quiet, quaint little town between Brainerd and Aitkin, so you would get that “small town away from people feeling,” as well as having the luxury of the amenities of a large town nearby. It is also close to Pelican Lake and less than an hour’s drive from Mille Lacs and Leech Lakes. If I were ever to move from Ely and stay in MN it would be to this area for sure!
    There are also many serious ice fishermen and members of IDO in the area to fish with if you’re open to company. Congrats on making your first big purchases into Ice fishing, your entry into the sport will be well complimented by the equipment you chose. I for one, will be interested in hearing reports from you on your fishing trips this winter!

SKUMAN 777
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Ice Fishing.
    I have been ice fishing for many, many, many years, unforunatly none of which has been in MN or that area of our great nation for that matter. All of my Ice fishing has been in the Great Lakes, connecting waters or inland lakes of Michigan and Ontario.
    I will probably catch some heat for even commenting about gear for an area I do not fish. However, despite the obvious location differences most of the fishing gear, tackle, techniques and often the weather for both locations appear to be very similar.
    As a young lad in the 70’s, I had the luxury of learning how to ice fish from some local fisherman in my home town on Lake Erie. Let’s just say that they made Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau seem like really nice guys. Back then any shelter, sleds and even rods were almost all handmade, maybe that was why they were so grumpy!
    You could not have picked a better time to join this sport, the last decade has propelled ice fishing light years ahead of where it was even when I started! Every aspect of the sport has dramatically improved new improved quads, augers, fishing gear, outer wear, shanties, even the variety of baits.
    I have been watching in depth outdoors fishing videos for quite some time. I tune in primarily on the gear the tackle they are using and often try some of the lures or techniques they use. I have had just about every brand of shanty built, currently I have the Otter XT650 cabin with the dual seats, center console, HYFAX runners, tow bar and travel cover (love it- perfect for two- 4th year). I would like to point out a few things I have found:
    1. Tow bar hitch is week (broke twice on rough terrain behind quad) I removed it and welded on a 1.5 ball mount, gives greater flexibility between quad and sled.
    2. At least get the insulated roof (it prevents inside raining from sweating) mine is plenty warm but frosts up and sweats like the dickens without the heater on.
    3. Get the travel cover, prevents gear loss and keeps snow and slush off of seats, especially if towing with a machine.
    4. Drill and install stop screws on the seat tracks to prevent the seats from sliding off on rough terrain.
    5. Get the Mr Buddy Jr. heater (with travel case), 6’ hose and 10lb tank (perfect size). Custom cut and bend a old freezer rack to hang on the front to heat up coffee, lunch or dinner works like a champ and you’ll be the envy of the ice when the smell gets going.
    6. Get a good rod case, can’t count the rods I’ve broken over the years from banging around in the sled.
    7. Get the clam fish trap organizer (Otter does not make one yet) to hang gear up and store things you want to keep dry.
    8. When loaded it is a bit heavy to drag out by hand (need a strong youngster or a machine) and too big for me to set up and hold in place on really windy days (I take my one man on those days).

I do not use a flasher or camera, so I cannot help you there.

I have found that really good personal gear is the trick to a comfortable day on the ice, can’t count the times I have had to run guys/gals back in when they get cold. To me it all starts and stops with the boots (gotta remember that with an otter without a floor your feet are ON THE ICE ALL DAY)! Again, I have had about every brand of winter boot known to man (even the military style bunny boots). My son swears by his Rocky boots, I’m older and obviously more sensitive to the cold and upgraded to Cabelas Alaska PAC Boots (must get the same brand ice cleats to fit the boot). I have an Arctic Armor Ice suit (Dry and warm even on rainy days) still need to dress in layers so you don’t sweat during set up and while in the shanty. I use military style wool gloves with the finger tips cut off on both index fingers and thumbs. Let’s you get hooks out of fish, keeps most of your hands warm and they dry quickly.
    Last points: even though there may be some steep start up costs to get into the good gear and equipment.
    It’s worth it if you use it.
    It will last for years to come if you take care of it.
    You will enjoy the time on the ice much better with the right gear.
    Don’t forget the camera, I have seen some of the most wonderful sunrises and sunsets on the ice.

Good luck

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.