Loanshark

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Manufactures could chart $25 per crank and they would still fly off the shelves. If a guy thinks he can gain an edge he will pay it. And in 15 years we will be there. Your best bet is to buy 100 of them now and tuck em’ away in a box for 1940.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

OR. Don’t buy them and invest the money in Rapala’s parent company, then buy them in 20 years.

Kyhl
    Savage

Milk is good for you. Drink more.

Cheers to the second sentence. toast

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

As the end gets closer wasting money isn’t really relevant. If a 50k boat makes you happy so be it. If a $12 spoon makes you happy so be it.

The thread was more of a lighthearted observation then a condemnation.

Next time I respond to a thread I’ll make sure my mind-reading machine is engaged…LOL

I can’t wait until hunting and fishing is only for the wealthy! But until that happens, it’s good to see license #’s improve year after year!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

The numbers have changed, I’m not sure the value has. For example:

Years ago (late 1970’s) an old guy at work announced he had just made his last house payment. I asked him what his payment was? He said he had been paying $125 a month. I replied “Holy crap, they were giving houses away back then!” Now flash forward to a few years ago. At this point I’m the old guy, and I’m telling a co-worked that I just paid my house off. He asked what my payment was. I told him it was $750 a month. He said “Holy crap, they were giving houses away back then!” It makes you think. My Grandparent’s first house cost them $3200. At the time Grandpa was working as a plumber and making $7 a week.

Stuff has always been expensive, especially good stuff. The average person doesn’t get paid enough, and never has. Some how we manage to get through it anyway tongue

S.R.

While this is true, you could also support a family of 6 back then on one parents income, not a lot of grandma’s worked back then. Now you need both parents working good jobs to support 2 kids.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Root wrote:</div>

Years ago (late 1970’s) an old guy at work announced he had just made his last house payment. I asked him what his payment was? He said he had been paying $125 a month. I replied “Holy crap, they were giving houses away back then!” Now flash forward to a few years ago. At this point I’m the old guy, and I’m telling a co-worked that I just paid my house off. He asked what my payment was. I told him it was $750 a month. He said “Holy crap, they were giving houses away back then!” It makes you think. My Grandparent’s first house cost them $3200. At the time Grandpa was working as a plumber and making $7 a week.

Stuff has always been expensive, especially good stuff. The average person doesn’t get paid enough, and never has. Some how we manage to get through it anyway tongue

S.R.

While this is true, you could also support a family of 6 back then on one parents income, not a lot of grandma’s worked back then. Now you need both parents working good jobs to support 2 kids.

You still can today. You just can’t choose the lifestyle we do today. They didn’t have two cars, +3 50-100″ TVs, $200 cell phone on top of $200 cable/internet bills and kids shared rooms in 1500 sq ft houses. They also rarely ate out and often raise some of their own food.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Rootski totally nailed it. Things cost less in younger memory but often were just as difficult to afford as present day.

Lures/rods/reels cost much more today. I got back into fishing just short of 15 years ago. My st. Croix premier rod I bought last fall cost quite a bit more than 15 years back. Thankfully my salary has adjusted as well. Both were similar in pain to afford.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

You still can today. You just can’t choose the lifestyle we do today. They didn’t have two cars, +3 50-100″ TVs, $200 cell phone on top of $200 cable/internet bills and kids shared rooms in 1500 sq ft houses. They also rarely ate out and often raise some of their own food.

It would be rough. And half the costs you normally would have would be supplemented through gov programs that you’d qualify for which then burdens the whole system.

I agree with consumer driven and out to eat though. Fast food and restaurants are so driven today by busy families it sucks, the whole system is broken.

Trickle down professional sports effect. Sports sports sports are such a big deal the kids are now subjected to more practices, more tournaments more games to have a chance at the next level that it’s keeping families in this viscous cycle, which then leads to fast food and lots of Netflix when people finally get to sit on the dam couch and relax.

Not that way decades ago, bc proff sports werent so obsessed over what they are nowadays. Fantasy, brackets, playoffs, puke

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

you could also support a family of 6 back then on one parents income

That’s because the kids also worked. They would run the farm and take care of things. My grandma when she was 6 years old was in charge of her 2 younger sisters from sun up to sun down (no running water or electricity also back than.). Today a 6 year old can’t even take care of themselves, nor would I trust him to.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Jeez, not everyone was poor back in the day guys…and many kids work nowadays as well.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Root wrote:</div>

S.R.

And the cost of a house from the 1950’s WITH ADDED INFLATION for today would be around $50k…compared to around $200k ACTUAL price. That’s huge and most people spend their whole lives paying that off. Also, college tuition is even worse.

So no, you could not live the same.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The biggest government theft might be tuition for state colleges. What does it cost for a year at the U? Maybe if we weren’t paying coaches crazy numbers some of that money might roll down to actual students. And don’t try and tell me those programs generate income keeping intuitions lower. That boat won’t float.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Man, this thread is making me sad. The world isn’t so bad…But yes its different. Adapt or die…I am sure we could make a list of 100 things that were great about the 1950’s and 100 things that sucked. And do the same for 2010s.

There isn’t much that’s more peaceful/fullfilling than the country and there isn’t much that is more convenient and full of job opportunity than a city.

We will be back to this thread when robots are taking more and more “entry level” jobs )

I mean if this were the 1950s we would have to go to the local watering hole to B**** about the times. But since its the 2010s we can B**** about the times right at our computer/phone on IDO at home or even (dundundundunnnhhhh) at work!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Yes Evan, it’s called progress.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

It doesn’t matter how you have it one will always want it better. Don’t worry opener will be here soon. toast

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.