Loanshark

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

With the price of tackle a guy maybe oughta open a loansharking operation for sportsman. Somehow $12+ bucks for a DareDevil and $7 1/2 bucks for a #4 Salmo crankbait seems excessive. Hell even plastics and live bait seems high to me. Maybe i’ve just lived so long that I remember these hobbies being more affordable. laugh

I don’t know what you gunners pay for ammo but I would guess thats getting right up with everything else.

munchy
    NULL

$12 lures seems cheap compared to $50k+ boats….

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Capitalism has its quirks. We need a NFA to belong to so we can have manufactured runs on bait/lures. ;0
    Don’t shoot me its just a joke.

404 ERROR
    MN

Maybe the increased cost is whats been driving the dropping numbers of anglers?…

I hear ya…I replaced a few hornets over the winter and felt like I got a sweet deal on eBay by paying $5.50 a pop for a dozen…I’m not a meat fishermen, but if I was, the $15/lb for fresh walleye would begin to sound appealing after losing a few $7-8 cranks on rocks…

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m getting Dutchboys point here. It’s relative. Back when you could get a daredevle for a buck or an original floating Rapala for a buck-fitty, a nice boat might cost you $800.

Yes, 50 grand is a lot to spend to catch fish. crazy

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

This is the attitude lately which market research loves to here. I always here the term, “well it’s cheap insurance,” or “it’s cheap compared to…”. But where’s the line between wasting money?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

As the end gets closer wasting money isn’t really relevant. If a 50k boat makes you happy so be it. If a $12 spoon makes you happy so be it.

The thread was more of a lighthearted observation then a condemnation.

fishingchallenged

It’s entirely discretionary spend and there really is no limit to what people will pay for their passion. I truly believe in supply and demand, the market is bearing the prices, so… It’s definitely a sign that the economy is is healthy.

Wasting money is an interesting concept. If you can afford it, spending money is what employs the masses. At least that is what I tell myself when I am spending money. :-O

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Yep, I think I got that part. It got me reminiscing to back when I was a kid and earned $5 mowing lawns.

I’d hop on my bike and ride down to the Coast to Coast Hardware store that had a big fishing selection. Always seemed to need another Daredevle, more hooks, another pack of Water Gremlins and perhaps something different like a “Canadian Jig Fly”.

There was always enough change leftover for an assortment of candy and the latest issue of “Mad” magazine. smile

deertracker

As the end gets closer wasting money isn’t really relevant. If a 50k boat makes you happy so be it. If a $12 spoon makes you happy so be it.

A new motorcycle is going to make me happy Dutchy so I’m going to do it. yay
    DT

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

DT when we going to go get it?

Dan
    Southeast MN

It got me reminiscing to back when I was a kid and earned $5 mowing lawns.

I’m only 33 and started out milking cows on our family dairy farm for $4 per night. If I had to leave early to play football or baseball I got $2 for half the night. After about a year my dad and uncle determined my efforts were worth $5 per night. Screw private and prep schools, send your kids to a farm and they’ll get prepared for adult life and you’ll save all kinds of money!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Screw private and prep schools, send your kids to a farm and they’ll get prepared for adult life and you’ll save all kinds of money!

I wouldn’t go as far as saying screw higher education, but I do believe it would be a better country is everyone worked on a farm for a year.

Knock off dare devils hooked the a live net marked at .99 each. I knew someday I would be able to afford them. yay

TripleA
    Blaine

$25 fishing pole from Wal-Mart and some nightcrawlers from your moms backyard is the cheap way to fish.

50k boats and hundreds of lures that will never get wet is the common approach.

It’s all perspective.

But yes everything costs more these days as payscales are also much higher.

gordonk
    Inactive

It’s basically all about a lack of competition. Sure, lots of companies and lures, but the vast majority are owned by two. It’s a lot like boats. Fewer and fewer are independent anymore, so we are held captive. Just check out commodity prices. They have just recently bounced off of ten year lows and labor costs have been declining relative to all the other costs and fewer perks like time off, sick leave, insurance and retirement plans. Yet the cost of boats and trucks has been soaring. It’s not backed up by increasing costs, just commercial greed and consumer gullibility.

As long as banks are willing to extend those loans out to 15 years, we feel we can continue to afford a boat. Ten years ago, you could afford a boat and pay for it in six. If they are selling fewer boats, well, who cares, they’re making a lot more per unit anyway. Same with lures. They are just hunks of plastic after all.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

your hobby is always needing more stuff bigger better! wait till your stuff is all at the local garage sale after you pass! for sale pennies on the dollar! lol Heck at 1 time a old 14′ scratcher was good enough but not any more!!!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

A gallon of milk cost a bit over $2 at an Aldies, one goes to a Cub and a gallon of milk goes for over 3 dollars over $4 for select. Are there special cows out there? Aldies is missing out on a wonderful market like . smile
    I never could wrap my head around economics, supply and demand and all that neat stuff. Opps that was not tackle orientated. My bad. tongue

Dave maze
    Isanti

I like the new tackle innovation. I mean, who doesn’t need custom painted rapalas? $12 each, yes please! rotflol I see it as a sign of a good economy.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Well so much for the “light hearted” observation. This here is a buzz kill. sad

It’s basically all about a lack of competition. Sure, lots of companies and lures, but the vast majority are owned by two. It’s a lot like boats. Fewer and fewer are independent anymore, so we are held captive. Just check out commodity prices. They have just recently bounced off of ten year lows and labor costs have been declining relative to all the other costs and fewer perks like time off, sick leave, insurance and retirement plans. Yet the cost of boats and trucks has been soaring. It’s not backed up by increasing costs, just commercial greed and consumer gullibility.

As long as banks are willing to extend those loans out to 15 years, we feel we can continue to afford a boat. Ten years ago, you could afford a boat and pay for it in six. If they are selling fewer boats, well, who cares, they’re making a lot more per unit anyway. Same with lures. They are just hunks of plastic after all.

deertracker

DT when we going to go get it?

That one sold on me before my bike sold. I found one I like locally. waytogo
    DT

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My Grandma picked up some reprint newspapers from the historical society on the great war and overlooking the ads and articles of that time doesn’t seem much changed.

Corporations are still screwing the little guys. Credit is available for bigger purchases. Will always be foriegn countries out there being a PIA. And weatherman aren’t very good…..

Dan I really like your idea on the farm. We’ve sent our kids private and while the oldest is in high school and completely blows me away with the book smarts she and her fellow students already have, not sure any of them know what a hard day of work is in their life. Home work does not equal work work.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

A movie for two is $20-40 depending on if you eat. 6 pack of beverage, 2 gallons of gas and losing a crank each time out in a $3500 boat is still cheap fun IMO.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

The numbers have changed, I’m not sure the value has. For example:

Years ago (late 1970’s) an old guy at work announced he had just made his last house payment. I asked him what his payment was? He said he had been paying $125 a month. I replied “Holy crap, they were giving houses away back then!” Now flash forward to a few years ago. At this point I’m the old guy, and I’m telling a co-worked that I just paid my house off. He asked what my payment was. I told him it was $750 a month. He said “Holy crap, they were giving houses away back then!” It makes you think. My Grandparent’s first house cost them $3200. At the time Grandpa was working as a plumber and making $7 a week.

Stuff has always been expensive, especially good stuff. The average person doesn’t get paid enough, and never has. Some how we manage to get through it anyway tongue

S.R.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I am just happy I got into fishing when I did. Especially musky fishing. Baits I bought for $6-$10 are now going for $25+ each. My investment in lures back than has rose faster than my 401K. It makes me laugh when I see people selling used lures for more than they paid for them. But this is the same across the board. I see used tools selling for more than they were bought for new from the store. This is one reason I would never sell my lures. Just hang them on the wall and one day, with the way prices of baits keep going up, I will be able to sell them and retire.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Stuff has always been expensive, especially good stuff. The average person doesn’t get paid enough, and never has. Some how we manage to get through it anyway

So true. But as the average person gets paid more the price will also increase with their pay. So S.R. statement will always be true.

Kyhl
    Savage

A gallon of milk cost a bit over $2 at an Aldies, one goes to a Cub and a gallon of milk goes for over 3 dollars over $4 for select. Are there special cows out there? Aldies is missing out on a wonderful market like . smile
    I never could wrap my head around economics, supply and demand and all that neat stuff. Opps that was not tackle orientated. My bad. tongue

Right, off topic. But since we are there and this thread was meant to be lighthearted.
    The difference in those milk products is age. Look at the expiration dates on those different priced milk cartons. The $3 stuff at cub expires in a week. The $4 special stuff expires in a month.

My theory is that cub buys the older stuff with a shorter shelf life to price it lower which shows value to the consumer.

Being 50 with no kids in the house, we rarely finish a half gallon of milk before it expires in a month. For us, the $4 milk is cheaper to dump once a month versus dumping out $3 cartons every week.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Milk is good for you. Drink more.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

It got me reminiscing to back when I was a kid and earned $5 mowing lawns

started out milking cows on our family dairy farm for $4 per night

We had a girl stop by handing out letters saying she was available to babysit and has taken all the courses. Her starting rate was $25 an hour for one kid. rotflol Things have changed.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

The numbers have changed, I’m not sure the value has. For example:

Years ago (late 1970’s) an old guy at work announced he had just made his last house payment. I asked him what his payment was? He said he had been paying $125 a month. I replied “Holy crap, they were giving houses away back then!” Now flash forward to a few years ago. At this point I’m the old guy, and I’m telling a co-worked that I just paid my house off. He asked what my payment was. I told him it was $750 a month. He said “Holy crap, they were giving houses away back then!” It makes you think. My Grandparent’s first house cost them $3200. At the time Grandpa was working as a plumber and making $7 a week.

Stuff has always been expensive, especially good stuff. The average person doesn’t get paid enough, and never has. Some how we manage to get through it anyway tongue

S.R.

My grandparents built a home on the poor side of Edina around 36th and Zenith. They sold for $62,000 in the eighties (their mortgage original mortgage was a couple grand).

My dad just drove by in the last few weeks and someone finally tore the place down. He spoke to the contractors and they complimented how well built the place was. It sold for $400k and the McMansion going up on that tiny lot can be yours in a month or so for a cool million.

It is a really interesting neighborhood, close to the lakes and Mpls and highly desirable now. 1940s 1200 sq ft houses being slowly taking over by million dollar modern homes lot by lot.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.