Livewell Problem: Drawing Water Into the Boat

• Lew Hurlbert

In 15 years of having this boat we never had this happen until our last outing. While driving across a lake, no fill pump working, no water in either rear live well, (meaning we were not catching keepers) both of them overfilled with water. As I then slowed the boat, put my 13yr old behind the wheel, I started bailing out the livewells. Needless to say that my minnow pail bailing fury could just barely keep up with the rate which water was coming up the drains. Eventually the level got down and we stopped the boat. No more water was coming in and thankfully we were not sinking or had a hole in the boat that did not belong. The moment we started back to driving the boat I watched the water surge back up the drain and quickly fill the livewell. Thankfully I had a spare drain plug and a bobber to stuff into the drains to prevent water from getting back into the livewell. This put a ton of water into out boat in a hurry, like a powerful siphon action.

So what could cause this and how to fix? Is there some type of backflow preventer inline that stuck open? Please help

munchy
    NULL

Where is the drain exiting? Through the transom or on the bottom of the hull?

I would look to see if there is anything forcing the water in from the outside. Maybe you had a stick lodged somewhere? Did you install a new transducer lately? Is the drain loose or cracked?

If the drain is through the bottom of the hull did it somehow get rotated the wrong direction?

Post some pictures of the drain hole.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Did you have the stand pipes in the livewells?

If not, the pressure from water could be forcing the
    water up the drains when under power and the transom is forced down
    into the water.
    More of a problem with a high speed pickup and its lower position.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

What brand and model boat???

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

What was the trim position of the outboard when this was happening? A year or so ago, guys with new Crestliners were fighting the same problem, it turns out the position of the livewell drain was directly in front of the outboard, and water bouncing-off the lower unit at speed was being forced into the drain hole.

Crestliner ended-up adding a shield over the drain hole. But, if the motor was trimmed way in, maybe the same thing was happening to you?

HRG

Attachments:
    1. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428921881.331447.jpg

Bass_attack

Our 2013 skeeter has always filled the live well in the rear even with the lines closed we figured out that it fills in reverse. Especially when back trolling. As soon as you back it off the trailer the water comes in.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

In 15 years of having this boat we never had this happen until our last outing.

Obviously when a working system suddenly fails to work, something had to change in the set up or working of the system. If you have not made any changes in your set up then it has to be within the system itself.

I am not aware of any “back flow valve” but that does not mean there might not be one. I’d check the hull fittings and the hoses for something amiss.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

My only similar story relates to someone hitting the live well switch when the boat was being stored and was not discovered until the next time that I launched. The pump running dry, burned up the pump internals and allowed water to freely come in.

rmartin
    United States

If your boat is moving forward and the intake valve is open, water should be suctioned out. Part of the livewell is supposed to sit above the waterline and the rest is filled by the pump. Only thing I can think of is water coming into the overflow holes. Perhaps bow trimmed up to high and stern low enough to let water into these holes. Is there a lot of water in your bilge weighting the boat down?

CURTISS HUTSELL

Did you ever solve the issue. I have a Targa Tracker 2013 and this weekend started having the exact same issues, can’t find any leaks, but after running wide open for a bit the front well is completely full sloshing water over

johnnyb

I have a 2016 lund rebel that has a leak in the live well drain. It does not leak if I plug the live well drain on the transom. It does not leak to fill the live well with the aerator pump. The minute the water reaches the over flow (which must have a t to the grain line) I start taking on water.
    I suspect a broken or pulled out fitting. I do not understand why as it has worked since new and there should be no moving parts.
    My issue is how to get to it. It is in the front of the boat with absolutely no access. I suspect hundreds of dollars to fix at dealer.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

My issue is how to get to it. It is in the front of the boat with absolutely no access. I suspect hundreds of dollars to fix at dealer.

Dealers don’t use magic, just $150/hr and a tool box.

Grab your tool box and get after it. Your looking at a $5 fix.

johnnyb

I took the boat to Dealer for issue. As suspected a line had popped off from the live well drain. The live well drain has a y that attaches to the overflow. A rubber line then runs to the back of the boat to a drain. You have to tear the front deck, trolling batteries and compartment and several other items out to get to the lines. Mechanic suggested either the hose clamp was not tight and the small piece of hose was a little short allowing the strain. I suspect the heavy water I was in popped it off. However this boat should be made for that type of water.
    Over $600 to tear apart, fix and put back together. A non moving , heavy duty rubber tube pulled off and this is not covered under any type of warranty. I am told to contact the dealer as I can find no number to talk to Lund service. I did get a very nice email from a Marketing Rep, but that is not here area.
    In todays world it is hard to find quality and service both wrapped in one package.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.