Lithium Lazer recall

• castle-rock-clown

Rapala will never themselves go out of business, but some of their acquisitions may suffer a fatal blow, and that would ba a shame. A business strategy that puts cornering a market segment (ice fishing) as a priority that shortcuts the R&D, usually ends in disaster. I’m beginning to wonder how big a slice of pie the ice fishing segment occupies Rapalas total revenue?

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

The thing people don’t typically understand, is that people run to message boards to talk about a problem, or ask for help with a problem. They number far and away more than the ones who are satisfied and haven’t had a problem. The perception is that EVERYONE is having problems which is simply untrue.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

The thing people don’t typically understand, is that people run to message boards to talk about a problem, or ask for help with a problem. They number far and away more than the ones who are satisfied and haven’t had a problem. The perception is that EVERYONE is having problems which is simply untrue.

x 212 waytogo

castle-rock-clown

I think there is a big difference in just having a problem and a company needing to recall a product. What would you say to the drivers and occupants of the latest airbag recall…oh if your not having a problem just ignore it?

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

In the grand scheme of things, it’s a switch. The possible problem the switch could cause is indeed, serious. They can’t ship out a new switch to John Q Public and have him install it himself (liabilities first, and some people don’t know what a black or red wire means), and not all service centers are equipped to be inundated by hundreds of switch repairs. What other option do you see they had?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I think you’re selling the people here short. I do think the majority understand that.
    As a Ice Force Pro Staffer it sounds kinda small to refer to the competition as a toy.

sktrwx2200

How many of you guys out there would/or still use your outboard motor after a factory recall? They often have different little problems with fuel lines and things that have caused fires. Despite really liking your outboard or not… its still stupid to ignore the recall and use it anyways. Just because you haven’t seen any of the symptoms described in a recall, doesn’t mean your time isn’t just around the corner. The way the product feels in your hand as far as quality build is really irrelevant.

Strikemaster customer service usually bends over backwards for its customers. Just bring your augers in .. its not worth the risk in my opinion.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Belletaine, You are correct, I was wrong and fixed the post.

To be fair, I just get tired of people running down Marcum/Strikemaster/Rapala on forums. Some legitimately are asking for help or advice because they are experiencing an issue. Others like to stir the pot.

I’m not necessarily referring to the IDO board, just forums in general.

castle-rock-clown

As a proud owner of an Otter XT650 cabin, an LX I and LX9, and a Strikemaster Lazer Pro and Big Volt, my concern is not with the dedication of the consumer, my concern is with Rapala as a parent company. I dearly hope that as a result of issues with some of their hardwater products the beancounters don’t recommend either discontinuing or selling off product lines. We here are both emotionally and financially invested, Rapala is only financially.

I do commend Strikemaster for taking a problem serious enough to take this extensive course of action.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Fair enough.
    I just started this thread to help the guys and gals that have purchased the auger in question.

My one and only call to SM customer service was nothing but helpful and productive.

The bashing knows no boundries and I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before we see little window stickers of a cartoon guy urinating on a flasher. That’s tongue in cheek!

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

One last note, Rapala isn’t the parent company of either Marcum or Otter. They operate 100% as different companies. Think of it as more of a marketing arrangement (Ice Force) between them.

castle-rock-clown

Thankyou Andy for that info. I guess where I am coming from is when Harley bought controlling intrest in Buell and then when a financial situation arose they just discontinued a very nice line of motorcycles. I apologize for my cynicism.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

RECALL NOTICE OF STRIKEMASTER® LITHIUM LAZER™ ICE AUGERS

Rapala has learned that, under certain circumstances, it is possible for the trigger switch on StrikeMaster® Lithium Lazer™ ice augers to fail. In such circumstances, the trigger switch cannot be used to stop the rotation of the drill. To ensure the safety of our customers, and to maintain Rapala’s high standards of quality, Rapala is voluntarily recalling all StrikeMaster® Lithium Lazer™ ice augers.

Customers can either return their Lithium Lazer™ ice augers to the retailers from which they purchased their augers for a full refund, or they can contact StrikeMaster Customer Service toll free at 877-572-7278 or [email protected] to obtain instructions on how to return their auger, at no cost to them, to Rapala, in exchange for either a full refund or a $700 credit on http://www.rapala.com.

We take great pride in the quality and performance of our products, and apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.

rayc
    ontario, canada, sault ste. marie

Do they have any timeline as to when they will have a new switch available?? I mean they are going to have a very many reconditioned augers for sale, maybe with some great prices?? Are we, the ones that returned them going to be offered any incentives to buy back the reconditioned augers?? Just a thought?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Do they have any timeline as to when they will have a new switch available??

You really just need to call Strikemaster I think.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

So how would you like to be the one that spent jail time because the automobile had a factory defect but yours didn’t ? So it’s just to bad for him ? What if it was you ? If it’s the product they should take care of it but being in denial is just wrong ! We all know bad news travels faster than good, we are not idiots

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ouch. That is going to be expensive.

RECALL NOTICE OF STRIKEMASTER® LITHIUM LAZER™ ICE AUGERS

Rapala has learned that, under certain circumstances, it is possible for the trigger switch on StrikeMaster® Lithium Lazer™ ice augers to fail. In such circumstances, the trigger switch cannot be used to stop the rotation of the drill. To ensure the safety of our customers, and to maintain Rapala’s high standards of quality, Rapala is voluntarily recalling all StrikeMaster® Lithium Lazer™ ice augers.

Customers can either return their Lithium Lazer™ ice augers to the retailers from which they purchased their augers for a full refund, or they can contact StrikeMaster Customer Service toll free at 877-572-7278 or [email protected]<script cf-hash=”f9e31″ type=”text/javascript”>
    /* <![CDATA[ */!function(){try{var t=”currentScript”in document?document.currentScript:function(){for(var t=document.getElementsByTagName(“script”),e=t.length;e–;)if(t[e].getAttribute(“cf-hash”))return t[e]}();if(t&&t.previousSibling){var e,r,n,i,c=t.previousSibling,a=c.getAttribute(“data-cfemail”);if(a){for(e=””,r=parseInt(a.substr(0,2),16),n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)i=parseInt(a.substr(n,2),16)^r,e+=String.fromCharCode(i);e=document.createTextNode(e),c.parentNode.replaceChild(e,c)}}}catch(u){}}();/* ]]> */</script>
    to obtain instructions on how to return their auger, at no cost to them, to Rapala, in exchange for either a full refund or a $700 credit on http://www.rapala.com.

We take great pride in the quality and performance of our products, and apologize for any inconvenience this causes you.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Strikemaster says the switch can stick and despite the fact that it seems to be a rare occurrence they’ve issue a recall (the responsible thing for a company to do). Your options are: 1) return the auger immediately and get a new auger; or 2) familiarize yourself with the battery main that was referenced earlier in this thread and hope the switch doesn’t stick on you over the remaining six weeks or so of the ice season, then return the auger and take your time getting a new one. It seems to me that Strikemaster is doing the right thing and that it’s not the end of the world for the guys who own them. The situation is similar to the recall on the first Mr. Heater Big Buddy heaters, which remain a great product to this day.

Rugbyguy
    Cottage Grove, MN

I purchased a Lithium Lazer two weeks ago. Used it this past weekend for the first time and this issue occurred a few holes in. It was a bit of an adventure in the wheel house with blades spinning trying to figure out what was going on. Hitting the power button shut things down.

Strikemaster told me there is no timeline on the replacement of the swtich. They offered no repair options, simply return the auger for a full refund. Too bad, I was excited for this gas free option in the wheel house.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have a feeling a spinning blades horror story is not in the too distant future…sad and scary….if you do get injured i’m guessing the fact that the recall is now official removes any liability to Strikemaster?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have a feeling a spinning blades horror story is not in the too distant future…sad and scary….if you do get injured i’m guessing the fact that the recall is now official removes any liability to Strikemaster?

Now why should we even care about that? Strikemaster does the right thing by recalling a flaw and all you want to do is jump down their throat about it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

It was just a question with all the current owners who say they are going to continue using it and not send it in…

castle-rock-clown

Just wondering, is this the same switch as on the Big Volt or their other 12volt auger?

rayc
    ontario, canada, sault ste. marie

Mine will ship out next week to rapala canada, got my new ion shipped in today, so i will see how it works tomorrow. I sure did like the sm though?

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.