Lithium Batteries and Charging

• grizzlyhackle
    Montana

This is probably a stupid question, but just picked up a Weize 100ah Mini to use for a trolling motor on my raft:

I’m looking at these 2 chargers from Amped:

10a – https://ampedoutdoors.com/products/10a-fast-lithium-charger-lifepo4
    20a – https://ampedoutdoors.com/products/20a-fast-lithium-charger-lifepo4

Are there any downsides in using a 10a charger other than longer charge time? I’m guessing most of the time I will be throwing the battery on the charger when I get home from fishing and just topping it back off – don’t need the full 10hr+ charge every time. I was also reading that its better to charge them slower anyways, but I tend to think this relates more to Lead/AGM than Lithums, but just wondering if anyone has feedback?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I think your reasoning is sound. If you don’t believe you’ll have a need for 4-5 hour charge times then the 10a should be just fine. Like you said, rarely are you having to charge a fully drained battery.

CBMN
    North Metro

I just bought two heated lithium batteries and they explicitly say they want over 10 amps to charge partially to make sure that the heater gets enough power so I bought two 20 amp chargers for my two heated lithium batteries but that was specific to my battery and situation as I do plan to use mine in some cold weather.

I didn’t look into your batter specs but I would follow those requirements…

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I am charging [2] 100 amp Redodo and a 50 amp Redodo lithium with a MinnKota 345 PCL . 15 Amps per bank . Also have a 20 amp Redodo charger for another 100 amph Redodo So far good . MinnKota hits 152 degrees when charging , which is normal , still makes me a little bit nervous .

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I’ve been looking at LiFePO4 batteries with the plan of upgrading next spring. I know in my research that “greater than 10 amp charging” has been recommended by a couple sources for the initial phase of charging.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.