Line choices for different presentations

• Hunter Blowers

What does everyone prefer for line, and does your line choices change based on how you want to fish? For example if you are jig fishing, versus throwing rip and raps or trolling crank baits.. how does this impact your line choices? Thanks for the help in advance.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I think I’m in the old school minority. rigging = mono, crankin = mono, pretty much mono all the time. I’ve dabbled in other lines but keep coming back to either Trilene xt or Suffix Siege. Should say for open water. Ice is a different story.

One exception, last year I tried Suffix 832 with a fluoro leader on my jigging rod. I liked it and will give it another season. Probably a keeper for the long term.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Braid with rippin raps for me. I really want to feel that vibration of the lure to really understand how it is being presented. Plus they fall pretty softly so feeling the bottom is tough with mono.

On jigs, I have some different dia min and different dia braids. I actually really enjoy using 10# mono with jigs. Typically 5/16 or larger. That thicker line makes for just the right fall and pounds the bottom getting the fish’s attention. But I also have a thin braid for finess jigging as well.

It all depends. You’ll really have to get out on your own and try it. You don’t even need 4 different setups to do so. If I were to have to choose one I take the 10# mono setup because I’ve had so much success in the past with it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Its more of the application that changes the presentation, feel, and/or hooksets in combination of the rod being used. Impossible to say one is absolute better than the other. I carry all my rods in both mono and braid. Circumstances change in in a particular situation, and one will be needed over the other for those influencing circumstances

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I run straight 832 for everything and love it. The one application where I am debating switching it up is for rigging. I feel like even with my finger on the line/trigger the braid pulls the bait away from bites occasionally.

Quintin Biermann

I love the forgiveness of mono with rigging usually 8lb test for casting ripping raps and jigging I prefer 832. For jigs and smaller swimbaits I like 6lb test and for larger cranks I move towards 10lb test. I do not personally own a lot of rods so I tend to make 6lb and 10lb work for most applications. – QB

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I’m with you QB. I don’t take a lot of rods with me and found I don’t need to. 6# mono works for most fishing I do from all panfish applications to walleye jigging, even LM & SM weed and rock worm or jig fishing. A quality 6# mono I found to be very versatile and strong enough if you play big fish properly. I use Hi Seas Grand Slam mono – it’s like silk. I have used lots of Fireline and 832 and fluorocarbons but after 45 years of fishing I’m back to mono. I do use a 12# mono on my baitcaster for crankbaits and heavier baits for bass.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

Run 10 lb hi-vis power pro for everything. When rigging I tie on a fluorocarbon leader. Presentation dictates length. Uni to uni knot used with all tied on leaders. Have been very happy with this setup. Been using it for three years now and have not run into any issues.

Adam Lindeman

I’m a fire line guy for jigging, trolling raps and fluoro guy for rigging. I like 8lb for almost everything except trolling raps. I use 10 lb.

I can’t get away from the sensitivity of braid. I like to feel everything. I will use a fluoro leader in clear water tied with a uni knot to my fire line. I always use a heavier pound test leader than the fire line main line, otherwise I have problems breaking the leader.

Ty Kennedy

832 20 pound mainline with 15 pound seaguar fluoro for me. Granted I mostly jig but I havent really found a con of having the no stretch for it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.