Lindy Rig Help

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So I noticed something last year and want to see what you guys think the best resolution to it is. When running lindy rigs I use braid tied direct to a swivel with the weight above the swivel. I noticed the lindy weight the bent pencil style getting stuck at times in the line loop on the weight. Not sure I lost any fish to this or not, but want to solve the issue. My thoughts were to add a bead or something between the swivel and the weight. Any other ideas or would that work?

Second question, what’s your go to hook for rigging minnows

CaptainMusky

Yes, definitely add a bead that is what I do. It also helps to keep the weight from fraying the know.
    I dont fish minnows so no help there.

Red Eye

Bead between weight and swivel is exactly what I do too. Also adds a buffer between weight and knot so your weight isn’t constantly rubbing on your knot.
    Depending on minnow size. I rig red tails a lot. I use a #1 to a 1/0 size octopus hook through the nose.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Bead for sure. Also, the last couple years I’ve been mainly using the Eagle Claw Trocar (I believe) widegap octopus hooks in a #4. The tried and true classic are the Gami octopus in a #6 or a #4, but the eagle claws seem to be a dang good hook and quite a bit more friendly on the pocketbook.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

As others have already said, use a bead.
    For hooks, it all depends on your bait and the size of the bait.
    I’ll use hooks down to size 8 for finicky bites with leeches to 2/0 for big suckers and Red tails. Gamakatsu octopus or Gamakatsu finesse wide gap are my go to hook types.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks guys I figured the bead was the ticket, just wondered if I was missing something else.

CaptainMusky

I like to also use those slider things that you can clip the weight into. Much more convenient than cutting line to change weight.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I like to also use those slider things that you can clip the weight into. Much more convenient than cutting line to change weight.

I have used those style a couple times just the slider piece felt cheesy.

Deuces

I’ve gotten away from beads myself with no regrets. I’d be more careful when dropping it to bottom. But I don’t use braid rigging and think anyone who does is an inferior being. devil

Owner mosquito hooks

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’ve gotten away from beads myself with no regrets. I’d be more careful when dropping it to bottom. But I don’t use braid rigging and think anyone who does is an inferior being

I switched everything except my bobber poles to braid. Never had any issue with mono, but feel more with braid. Curious why you don’t like it.

Matt Sayer

In addition to the bead I also add a quick change weight snap which I think buffers bead and allows for weight adjustments

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I use a plastic quick change snap and a bead. For hooks I use Gamakatsu wide gaps.

CaptainMusky

There are many different styles. I agree some of them are chinsy but the ones I got from Scheels work well.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

There are many different styles. I agree some of them are chinsy but the ones I got from Scheels work well.

Ok I will check them out it would be nice to change weight as needed. Most times I just run a 3/8 and leave it on for most conditions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.