lil more pink never hurts….

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Did these up yesterday while it rained.

The one with the black/pink/orange is a copy based on a stick bait I have taken many Lake Superior fish on over the years. The hooks on the original have been replaced three times and now there isn’t a whole lot of paint left on it so I did a copy in the crack, a medium diver.

The purple/pink is just a spin off the pink/blue from the other day.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1964_1.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I really like that top one!

jime

Very nice! Would love to have two like those !

Good luck,

Tweed

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

On that top one I added some gold and violet hi lite powders to the clear top coat and sprayed that on the entire bait since both hi lite colors work off the orange and pink. I mixed up the violet/clear to do the purple bait first, then added the gold to the cup and did the top bait. Can’t see it so much in the picture with the camera’s internal filtering happening but in the hand they are both just plain hot baits and really alive with color in natural light. Hopefully you’ll get to see these in living color sometime this open water season.

fishingchallenged

Can I ask you what kind of air brush you have? Getting inspired to try getting into doing some lure painting.

rubberduck
    east bethel

I am pretty sure I would eat the top one myself!! looking good tom!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have a Badger Patriot. It’s a mid ranged brush price-wise and very easy to use. These brushes require you to purchase the air hose, so you know up front…not a big deal but good to know while shopping. I use mine with a harbor freight pancake compressor.

I’m using Createx general derive airbrush paints opaque, transparent,pearlized and fluorescent, all of which are water based and mix well with each other for expanded uses and special effects.

This airbrushing is a fun hobby.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Dang I thought this would be Randy’s thread with video pdoggin using a bmg. )

Very nice work with painting!

DMHEID
    Bismarck, ND

I run two Iwata hp-cs brushes (one as a backup), but started with a Badger patriot 105. Great gun but Iwata parts were able to be bought locally. I suggest using a 40% off coupon at hobby lobby to purchase an iwata right off the bat.

I also use createx paints. The metallic ones have to be thinned a bit but overall, they’ll all spray out of the bottle.

I run a porter cable compressor to a regulator just under my table so I can easily change air pressure.

To the OP, paint jobs look great! Keep practicing and let the addiction grow.

Here’s a batch of flicker minnows I just got done with.

Attachments:
    1. unnamed-file.jpg

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Pinky tuscadero is our go to on Mille Lacs.

Pinky Tuscadero is our go to.

rubberduck
    east bethel

so do you guys buy the baits raw (unpainted)and then paint or just paint over the original colors? they both look really good!

DMHEID
    Bismarck, ND

I repaint over factory paint jobs mostly. There’s quite a few cranks out there now that have a clear or “bare naked” color so it’s getting a lot easier on us custom painters. Don’t get me wrong, some of the unpainted blanks that you get from wlure or dinger baits are great baits. Painting for mainly walleye guys, I use factory baits that already have a dive curve established.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

so do you guys buy the baits raw (unpainted)and then paint or just paint over the original colors? they both look really good!

I do some of both.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.