Lights

• Nitrodog

What is everyone using for light in your portables?

Tonka
    Minnesota

I just bought two Frabill Quad Light Bars. I saw them yesterday in my buddies Predator 2055. They lit his house up plenty, and that thing is huge. If you have a Cabin XT Pro like me, it’ll be bright as you want it to be. This system will be light and takes AA batteries. I read they go a long time as in 70 plus hours. My old settup was a light bulb socket and a plastic lamp shad with clips to use a 12v flasher battery. Thing is super bright but you need two to three of those batteries if your fishing a while in the dark. The last option aside from the clam light bar posted by Denny O would be to run led rope lights. Just google it and you will see images of guys running them over all the bars and they really light it up. You would need a 12V and I have no idea how long yo can go on one battery with those led’s. Anyone else know? Hope this helps.

Ryan Pahl

I gave my battery its first charge around the end of December (when I bought it) and just recharged it 2 weeks ago. I only fish on the weekends and rarely deep into the night(2-3 hours after dark). I use the typical Vexilar style battery and have it wired into a box with a toggle switch. I find that this option is best because it keeps the battery dry and no fumbling with attaching wires to the batteries in low light conditions. Really simple set-up that took me 5 mins to put together after I got everything set up the way that I wanted. I find that it lights the house almost too much for what I prefer (stealthy) but it really is nice. I have been thinking about adding some additional sled lights so I can see whats going on behind me and even some additional red led lights for when I want to remain stealthy to the fish. The clam light bar is nice, but I paid about 1/5 of that price (not including the battery) because I had most of the stuff laying around. The only thing I purchased was the led light strip off of Amazon and a 4 dollar toggle switch from Wal-Mart.

Ryan Pahl

While I have heard good things about the clam light bar, and even considered that as an option, I found that I could make a better set-up for cheaper than the price on that bar.

Here is a link to Amazon of the lights that I purchased. http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Flexible-300xSMD3528-Adhesive-2026WH/dp/B002Q8V8DM

You can use any type of box such as an old ammo can or something of the similar. I spray foamed my box to add an insulating factor to the battery to help it last longer when it is cold out. Run the strip where you want and hide the wires as you please. Some simple wiring and a 2 prong toggle switch will give you the ‘easy on-easy off’ ability. I am no electrician, but I figured out how to make it all work.

Its even possible to add multiple different strips into the house in different locations and control them all off of different switches run from the same box and battery. Since LED lights take such little power, it is possible to run all of the strips off of one battery. I talked with my brother-in-law since he has the exact same set-up and he said the entire 16 ft. of lights ran continuously off of a Vexilar battery for 10 days before the battery died.

I am in the works of adding more to my house and hoping to make it the ultimate shack.

Nitrodog

Do they stick to your poles or did you use zip ties?

Ryan Pahl

There is sticky backing on the lights and it does bond fairly well to the poles. However I know that when it gets really cold out, adhesive doesn’t work well. I added zip ties about every 8-10 inches just for added peace of mind so that they wouldn’t fall down on me.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

“exact same set-up and he said the entire 16 ft. of lights ran continuously off of a Vexilar battery for 10 days before the battery died.”

Why you would want that much light? Even cut in half would be enough.
    And are you using a diehard car Vexilar battery to power your use for 10 DAYS??

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I purchased the firebrite lights from HSO. they are incredibly bright! I use a 12V battery and they come with alligator clips. I may have charged that battery once this year and I fished prob over 25x?

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

Do yourself a favor and get these, dirt cheap and they’re insanely bright, I’ve got 4 in my Trekker 2 and its like being outside.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Super-Bright-White-Car-COB-LED-Lights-DRL-Fog-Driving-Lamp-Waterproof-DC-12V-/291161780706

I bought a similar light off of ebay. super bright, doesnt get hot. I also added an LED dimmer switch so I can adjust the brightness, might be something to look into.

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-LED-Strip-Lights-Controller/dp/B003L4KKF2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1456493990&sr=8-4&keywords=LED+dimmer+switch+12+v

Ryan Pahl

“exact same set-up and he said the entire 16 ft. of lights ran continuously off of a Vexilar battery for 10 days before the battery died.”

Why you would want that much light? Even cut in half would be enough.
    And are you using a diehard car Vexilar battery to power your use for 10 DAYS??

Since LED lights take a fraction the power or any other light out there, it hardly draws any power. That amount of time is a testament to the longevity of the battery and how little power the lights actually take. I have about 5 ft of lights ran in my house on the bars and its more than sufficient. I only use those to get set-up in the dark and to take down. Otherwise I use a small headlamp or the clam fan/light combo to provide enough light to see my bobber.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.