Lighting effect on fish

• Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

An earlier post got me to thinking about this subject. The amount of light in your shelter while ice fishing after dark, whether it’s a lantern, LED lights or another source seems to be viewed differently by ice fisherman. While either walleye or crappie fishing after dark, I have my opinion on whether this has an effects on my success on the ice.

Do you like very little, a lot or no opinion? Do you feel the amount of light plays a role whether you catch fish?

Let’s hear some thoughts.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I always noticed on the Crappie body’s of water that I fished over the years that if I used a lantern that if I put it next to my hole it would reduce size and numbers but if I put it under or behind me I would get numbers of the bigger ones could just be me and good days and bad days but I will tell you this there were a lot of times I would go out of my way to flip a bucket upside down next to my hole to put my feet one and then put the lantern behind the bucket ;)

Jon J

This is a good question. My dad and grandpa always said that shining a spotlight down the hole attracted fish. On the other hand some people don’t have much light on their shacks at all…

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

The more clear the water the less lighting I would desire. That’s my experience, as it seems the quality of fish diminishes. In heavy stained water…more light. Or rather light doesn’t turn them off.

roger

never tried it, but have heard that a really bright light will attract the various bugs and plankton that will attract the crappies, anybody verify that? walleys maybe not!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If I am out after dark, it is normally walleye fishing, I will only use the lights necessary in the permanent and always put hole covers so the hole is mostly blocked nothing ever gets shined down the hole, I’ve had many rattle reels dropped when I light was shined down the hole. In the portable, just a headlamp when necessary, glow of the flasher and heater is very peaceful. I don’t need a light to drink beer. ;-)

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I do think light has a factor on the number and size of fish that I am able to catch. For that reason, I use a smaller diameter auger when fishing shallow during the time. I would think that a lantern next to a light hole at dark would act like a lighthouse.

FDR

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

There are so many variables to this. It has been hit on about attracting plankton which would draw in bait fish and then game fish. Also was noted light behind bucket and feet on bucket , this would be a moving shadow above the fish issue. Than you have water clarity issue and how much light is needed or not needed.

This question would probably best discussed around a campfire with beverage of choice.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Ice thickness, ice clarity, time of the season, all play a part with lights to some extent. I think any time that light might become a negative, noise on the ice will be just as derogatory.

Travis Swanson

I personally don’t have an opinion. I’ve got three really good fishing buddies and their on both sides of this. All I know is that we have caught them in both situations and also not caught in both.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Funny Story,
    I was up on LOW a few years ago, we started fishing early in the morning and needed the lantern. A few minutes into fishing a heard splashing in one of my holes, I looked over and a sturgeon was swimming up out of the hole. I reached over and grabbed him about a 24″er. I was shocked to see this. When I went into the bait shop later that day the bait shop owner says that happens al the time. They see the light and swim straight towards it.
    When I showed the pictures and told the story at the Resort that night, no one believed the story. I sure wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with me own eyes.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

MarCum makes so many grandiose claims about their units don’t they have an app to talk to fish and ask them? That’s my morning sarcasm for the day, sorry.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I try to keep it as natural as possible.
    No sense in alarming anything with light or noise.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.